Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insure 2nd car in own name using named driver experience

Options
  • 25-02-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Insurance :rolleyes: I'm trying to insure a 1999 Renault Megane as a second car in addition to my newer daily driver. I understand about not using a NCB on more than one vehicle (although I have manged to do this with AXA mirroring my NCB in the past) I'm with a different insurer now and there is no possibility of mirroring.

So I'm using my NCB on my daily and can't use it on the Megane. However I do have several years as a named driver on someone else's policy and used that named driver experience to get a quote on chill.ie. Quotes were, surprisingly, not terrible given my lack of NCB and the age of the car. But then I looked at the T&Cs.
    chill.ie wrote:
    Your driving experience
    You confirm your No Claim Discount or Named Driver Experience is earned and issued in the Republic of Ireland on a private motor vehicle (excluding motor bike, van and motor trade policies), within the last 2 years and it is not in use on any other vehicle. If you are claiming Named Driver Experience, it is current, consecutive and up to date and has expired no more than 7 days ago.
    You confirm that the end date of your previous policy is the day before the start date of this policy and that there is no gap in cover.
    You confirm that you can provide proof of the required years No Claim Discount/Named Driver Experience from the Insurer (not Broker). Failure to provide adequate proof of the required No Claim Discount or Named Driver Experience years may result in either an increased premium or the cancellation of your policy.
    You confirm you do not own or have the full time use of another motor vehicle.
    Relevant bit in bold. WTF is the problem here - surely the fact that I have another vehicle to use should be a positive not some sort of "gotcha". PS I would have no named driver on either vehicle and unless I defy the laws on physics I can only drive one vehicle at once.

I have third party extension on my main car. My reading of my policy is that I could drive the Megane using this 3rd party extension without the Megane having its own insurance but no doubt there would be some clause or policy statement inserted somewhere maybe at renewal time to catch me out. Also if I drive it third party extension I'll have no insurance disc. Edit: I've just remembered that I cannot use third party extension on a car that I own myself :rolleyes:

Maybe I should try to move my main policy to AXA and see if they will mirror it for the 2nd policy. Or else try Aviva as believe they offer some sort of multi car discount.

Advertisement