Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult Neighbours

Options
  • 25-02-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We live in Dublin and have difficult neighbours. Their's is a four bed terrace house (same footprint as ours) that has up to 20 people living in it at any one time. The owner runs it as a long stay hostel for people in their 20's-30's. I believe he gets away with having overcrowded living conditions by saying that he lives there himself (he actually lives in another house down the road).

They had been having late night/early morning parties until 5/6/7am on weeknights playing loud music. Too be fair, this seems to have stopped after we said it to the landlord.

My concern is that last night (Sunday) a garda squad car pulled up and two uniformed gardai knocked on the door and went in at 11pm at night. They seemed to be in the middle of a party at that stage. We had been suspicious that there is drug taking going on in the house. If the guards were there for a noise related issue I would have thought the interaction would have been over and done with in 90 seconds. The gardai were inside for about 20 minutes. I asked the guards when they came out if there was anything the matter or if there was something we, as neighbours, should be concerned about. They told me that they can't comment on why they go into any houses.

I know I am probably being being overly nosy but we have a young family and are a bit intimidated by the number of people they have coming and going and the general antisocial behavior. Do I have any right to know if there is something illegal going on in our neighbours house? Should I be asking the landlord if there is something going on in there?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Don t sound like ideal neighbours, but no it's none of your business whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd be more inclined to see if he has the correct permissions to be doing what he's doing. I'm afraid I'm not sure who it is you'll need to complain to but start with the council for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

look up the RTB website. See if there's a registered tenancy in place at the address. If not, contact the landlord if you know where they live and tell them to take action....get tenants out or whatever. Otherwise report it to the RTB and revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Don t sound like ideal neighbours, but no it's none of your business whatsoever

It totally is their business, why wouldn't it be. No one wants to be living beside a hostel, part house or anywhere with illegal activity going on. The OP has small kids, and a right to the 'quiet enjoyment of their home'. You should get onto the RTB and see if that house is being used within the law OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

It totally is their business, why wouldn't it be. No one wants to be living beside a hostel, part house or anywhere with illegal activity going on. The OP has small kids, and a right to the 'quiet enjoyment of their home'. You should get onto the RTB and see if that house is being used within the law OP.

The illegal activity bit is pure speculation-quite a serious allegation and tbh not fair on your neighbours..

What threat do they pose to you? Imo, slight overreaction on your part wtf were you doing looking at their house at 11pm creep. No the only one engaging in illegal activity is you, stalker.

You don't just go around making unsubstantiated claims like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Fastidious wrote: »

The illegal activity bit is pure speculation-quite a serious allegation and tbh not fair on your neighbours..

What threat do they pose to you? Imo, slight overreaction on your part wtf were you doing looking at their house at 11pm creep. No the only one engaging in illegal activity is you, stalker.

You'd soon change your tune if you were living next door to a session house with kids. Going into work having had no sleep at all after your neighbour had an all night party on a Wednesday would soften your cough there I think. If they did it on the regular it would drive most people crazy. I live beside a rented house for the last 16 years. There hasn't been one tenant in that time that id class as normal. These tenants piss out their windows and hold all night parties, dump their rubbish in the open spaces and have the place teeming with wild cats. Not one actual **** was ever given by the landlord not even when his tenant was busted for selling smack and the son of the household demolished the inside of the house, as you do, just for kicks like.

Another lovely tenant actually ran his partner over with his car, drunk, in front of his kids. Another still was stabbed by a relative in the driveway...the stories I could tell, if you lived beside **** like this it would make your actual blood boil, trust me !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

look up the RTB website. See if there's a registered tenancy in place at the address. If not, contact the landlord if you know where they live and tell them to take action....get tenants out or whatever. Otherwise report it to the RTB and revenue!

Skip contacting the landlord and go straight to RTB and Revenue. Let them sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’d call the council and tip them off. Maybe the local fire officer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Accusation of overreacting

Calls OP a creep and a stalker

Are you right in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

OP get onto council, if he has 20 people living there I’m sure there could be regulations against that fire regulations possibly also contact council re noise pollution and definitely revenue i wonder is he declaring all that rental income, and ignore trolls who say it’s none of your business it absolutely is, if the guards were there for 20 mins something dodgy going on, I had it before with neighbours and hounded the landlord until he got rid of the bad tenants, I confronted the landlord in person, it worked for me, but wouldn’t recommend that here, parties during week until 5am is ridiculous in a residential area, good luck.

• Advertisement

You'd soon change your tune if you were living next door to a session house with kids. Going into work having had no sleep at all after your neighbour had an all night party on a Wednesday would soften your cough there I think. If they did it on the regular it would drive most people crazy. I live beside a rented house for the last 16 years. There hasn't been one tenant in that time that id class as normal. These tenants piss out their windows and hold all night parties, dump their rubbish in the open spaces and have the place teeming with wild cats. Not one actual **** was ever given by the landlord not even when his tenant was busted for selling smack and the son of the household demolished the inside of the house, as you do, just for kicks like.

Another lovely tenant actually ran his partner over with his car, drunk, in front of his kids. Another still was stabbed by a relative in the driveway...the stories I could tell, if you lived beside **** like this it would make your actual blood boil, trust me !

Get a pair of earmuffs or something and just ignore it...reporting it to the council etc will never end well and will only serve to damage your relationship with them

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Get a pair of earmuffs or something and just ignore it...reporting it to the council etc will never end well and will only serve to damage your relationship with them

Earmuffs don't clean up bags of cans and household rubbish or cover your eyes at 7.30 when your going out to work and your neighbour is in the window with his lad out pissing in his front garden with a big smile on his face while he's looking at ye. They don't drown out the sounds of a man battering his partner while his kids are screaming daddy daddy no, stop daddy. That ****s kinda hard to ignore, so is the gardas helicopter when they are searching for the lovely tenant after he nearly killed her. If you can ignore crap like that you're detached from reality. Until you've walked a mile in the op' s shoes you haven't one iota of what you're talking about. Oh and I don't want a relationship with the tenants and neither would you, honestly you wouldn't!

Earmuffs don't clean up bags of cans and household rubbish or cover your eyes at 7.30 when your going out to work and your neighbour is in the window with his lad out pissing in his front garden with a big smile on his face while he's looking at ye. They don't drown out the sounds of a man battering his partner while his kids are screaming daddy daddy no, stop daddy. That ****s kinda hard to ignore, so is the gardas helicopter when they are searching for the lovely tenant after he nearly killed her. If you can ignore crap like that you're detached from reality. Until you've walked a mile in the op' s shoes you haven't one iota of what you're talking about. Oh and I don't want a relationship with the tenants and neither would you, honestly you wouldn't!

Re rubbish you can blame the privatisation of waste collection for that one...
    As regards the lad smiling..if you have a problem with that then I'd like to be in your position whereby you get irked by someone trying to acknowledge you. You really are a miserable git

Of course domestic abuse isn't anything to laugh about-but again you're making all this crap up.

Point being, perspective is needed here. No point in reporting without acknowledging the consequences..it's not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jamer11 wrote: »
    Their's is a four bed terrace house (same footprint as ours) that has up to 20 people living in it at any one time.
    Have a look at https://www.thejournal.ie/private-rental-conditions-3676961-Nov2017/. An extreme example, but perhaps go the safety route, and notify the authorities of how overcrowded the house is?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭20/20

Why not start your own thread for your separate rant as you seem to have issues. Otherwise stick to what the OP is talking about. That is if you are not the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I live beside a rented house for the last 16 years.These tenants piss out their windows and hold all night parties.
    His tenant was busted for selling smack and the son of the household demolished the inside of the house.
    Another lovely tenant actually ran his partner over with his car, drunk, in front of his kids.
    Another still was stabbed by a relative in the driveway.

Sounds like you live in a rough area tbh. I'd be looking at moving if it was going on that long.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The fire officer might have an issue with 20 people living in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You're out of your element Donny.

I'd contact landlord first. If it's rent a room scenario he can get them out soon. If you go directly to council it could take longer.

I'd make the threat of rtb/council first and see if that kicks him into acting. He won't want the hassle might just be the quickest way it get a solution.

I wouldn't give a f**k about tax or regulations, I'd just want them out and some normal tenancy put in place ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Who cares, the landlord doesn’t live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

20/20 wrote: »
    Why not start your own thread for your separate rant as you seem to have issues. Otherwise stick to what the OP is talking about. That is if you are not the same person.

Mod
    If poster SM is posting from personal experience his remarks would be reasonable rather than a rant.
    Matter for mods to decide.

nuac wrote: »

Mod
    If poster SM is posting from personal experience his remarks would be reasonable rather than a rant.
    Matter for mods to decide.

The OP said there are about 20 people living in the house nest door to him and having parties.
    He complained to landlord and it seems to have stopped the parties. His question is when the Garda arrived the other night and stayed for twenty minutes is he entitled to know what is going as he a next door neighbour.??

surrender monkey on the other hand is talking about

Household rubbish all over the place.
    A fellow exposing himself and urinating out the window. (school kids may be about at that time.)
    A man battering his partner while the kids are screaming at him Daddy stop.
    and the Garda helicopter overhead.

How is this answering the OP question.?

Mod
    The convention here is to avoid arguing inthread with mods. Any reply to mod by PM, pls,

jamer11 wrote: »
    We live in Dublin and have difficult neighbours. Their's is a four bed terrace house (same footprint as ours) that has up to 20 people living in it at any one time. The owner runs it as a long stay hostel for people in their 20's-30's. I believe he gets away with having overcrowded living conditions by saying that he lives there himself (he actually lives in another house down the road).

They had been having late night/early morning parties until 5/6/7am on weeknights playing loud music. Too be fair, this seems to have stopped after we said it to the landlord.

My concern is that last night (Sunday) a garda squad car pulled up and two uniformed gardai knocked on the door and went in at 11pm at night. They seemed to be in the middle of a party at that stage. We had been suspicious that there is drug taking going on in the house. If the guards were there for a noise related issue I would have thought the interaction would have been over and done with in 90 seconds. The gardai were inside for about 20 minutes. I asked the guards when they came out if there was anything the matter or if there was something we, as neighbours, should be concerned about. They told me that they can't comment on why they go into any houses.

I know I am probably being being overly nosy but we have a young family and are a bit intimidated by the number of people they have coming and going and the general antisocial behavior. Do I have any right to know if there is something illegal going on in our neighbours house? Should I be asking the landlord if there is something going on in there?

Iam trying very hard not to say your been overly nosy or just very curious.
    But a house Iam a landlord to in Drumcondra was raided by the Gardaí a number of years ago and the front door was smashed in. The tenants were students from very good families from the Country ( One of their fathers was a Garda sergeant) and I used a letting agent to find the tenants and manage rent. The students had parties nightly till all hours. The letting agent or myself knew noting about this or they would have been evicted. Anyway Two maybe three Garda cars raided the house on a Friday, the front door was smashed in and badly damaged. The tenants seem to have gone back down the Country for the weekend after college. So house was empty and I wasn't informed about the door until Saturday by one of the neighbours who had tried to wedge it closed for the Friday night. I had to get the door fixed that weekend and I went to the Garda station three times to try and find out what had happened and what was going on in the house. Each time I got a different Guard at the desk and nobody would give me any information about what happened at a house I own. So I think your chances of finding out whats going in a neighbours house are zero.
    To make things worse for me the neighbours stirred by one person started to think I was involved in crime because the Guards wouldn't talk to me about the incident.

Iam trying very hard not to say your been overly nosy or just very curious.
    But a house Iam a landlord to in Drumcondra was raided by the Gardaí a number of years ago and the front door was smashed in. The tenants were students from very good families from the Country ( One of their fathers was a Garda sergeant) and I used a letting agent to find the tenants and manage rent. The students had parties nightly till all hours. The letting agent or myself knew noting about this or they would have been evicted. Anyway Two maybe three Garda cars raided the house on a Friday, the front door was smashed in and badly damaged. The tenants seem to have gone back down the Country for the weekend after college. So house was empty and I wasn't informed about the door until Saturday by one of the neighbours who had tried to wedge it closed for the Friday night. I had to get the door fixed that weekend and I went to the Garda station three times to try and find out what had happened and what was going on in the house. Each time I got a different Guard at the desk and nobody would give me any information about what happened at a house I own. So I think your chances of finding out whats going in a neighbours house are zero.
    To make things worse for me the neighbours stirred by one person started to think I was involved in crime because the Guards wouldn't talk to me about the incident.

Some landlord. Tenants having nightly parties and you didn't know about it? It was your duty to know about it. Especially if you rented to students! Common sense....call regularly, drive by occasionally at night etc. You have a responsibility to the neighbours.

Some landlord. Tenants having nightly parties and you didn't know about it? It was your duty to know about it. Especially if you rented to students! Common sense....call regularly, drive by occasionally at night etc. You have a responsibility to the neighbours.

Iam in my bed at night. I would look like a right Weirdo driving past houses that are miles away from me slowly at night with my windows down listening for noise and trying to peep in to see if there are large groups.
    The neighbours have my number for this very situation. I gave them the number as I never wanted anything like that to happen, and I realy do feel so sorry for all they had to put it.
    The letting agent should have put a stop to it in the first place. They selected the tenants and they collected the rent and a commission every month for their troubles. The agents were also supposed to check regularly with neighbours was everything all right in the house.

Iam in my bed at night. I would look like a right Weirdo driving past houses that are miles away from me slowly at night with my windows down listening for noise and trying to peep in to see if there are large groups.
    The neighbours have my number for this very situation. I gave them the number as I never wanted anything like that to happen, and I realy do feel so sorry for all they had to put it.
    The letting agent should have put a stop to it in the first place. They selected the tenants and they collected the rent and a commission every month for their troubles. The agents were also supposed to check regularly with neighbours was everything all right in the house.

Strange that neighbours didn't contact you if there was nightly parties!

Strange that neighbours didn't contact you if there was nightly parties!

Strange indeed and what is your problem quizzing me.

I gave certain neighbours on the road ( ones I knew owned the homes ) my phone number for any situations that may arise. Its not my problem they didn't call during the parties. Iam sorry for what I now they had to put up with, and I would probably have gone straight down on the night if I did get the call. I now use different letting agents and have never had any problems since.

All I want to point out to the OP is that the Guards will not give out any info whoever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

I will briefly tell you what happened to me. About 7 years after I bought my house, the family next door got a divorce and moved out selling the house to a couple, I wont name the country they are from just yet.

They were very nice and quite for the first 12 months, actually really nice and someone that I thought, great they are looking after the house, they care. How wrong was I!

First he set up a small mechanical business outside the house (wannabe mechanic) where at 7.00/8.00 pm people would come to fix their cars, so you can imagine the noise and amount of people outside my property. Then cars started showing up as he would dismantle them and use the parts or he would fix the car and sell it on, that was the best case scenario. At one stage we counted in the region of 17 cars in a small cul de sac. The lovely quiet estate that I moved into turned to pieces. The amount of oil from the cars all over the street, car parts all over my garden, and not only mine, another neighbors also...we lived like that for about 9 months, until I thought this cannot happen anymore....and yes I did speak to him about what he is doing and that it bothers me - and how dangerous it is to have all those car parts and cars around, that they are a breeding ground for anti social behavior and many other things - his answer was sure you have insurance, that's when I knew I had to do something....and I did.

I made complaints to every single department that I could think of, you name it I made a complaint to it...within 3 days we had inspectors from a good few departments all over the area....cars including everything else he was doing there, were gone in 3 weeks.

Do complain and your issue will be resolved I promise, and I can tell you from personal experience it was sorted very very fast. Lets just say that the next door wannabe mechanic can behave (well apart from when he beats up his wife)....this is only part of what he used to get up to. I could write a book on him and his lot. Utterly disgusted with his lot...but I love my house to give up that easily.

Good luck and don't let anyone intimidate you, its not worth it.

Anna2834 Thanks for that and you were patient to wait so long. I would never have been to tolerant with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

I was giving him a chance...he is so pathetic....I can't even look at him or his family. It got so bad that the neighbor to the other side of him, built a wall and it ain't a small one, just to keep him out and off his property. I am planning on putting up a green wall though this spring.

I would love to be able to name and shame them...God I would.

Advertisement