Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Bay Spring Sportive 2019 April 13th

Options
  • 25-02-2019 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Back for another edition of the Donegal Bay Spring Sportive, the event will take place on Saturday April 13th this year. Once again, we will be offering 3 routes 140/100/50k taking in the roads of South Donegal. You will be guaranteed stunning scenery, challenging routes, superb Donegal hospitality, fantastic food and great value for money.

Online entry is now open for the 140/100k routes and due to the increased popularity of the event in recent years, places are capped and likely to sell out so be sure to get registered asap. Follow the line below.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/BEWF23c8j

The Routes

140k: https://www.strava.com/routes/7526382

100k: https://www.strava.com/routes/7533437

50k: https://www.strava.com/routes/7533456

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Booked :)

(Do you realise that there is an utterly pointless 'option' in your booking form where one is asked to tick a box if they wish to be informed of similar events, I declined this option but was informed that I must tick it to proceed, What's the point of giving an 'option' that one can't decline?)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

(Do you realise that there is an utterly pointless 'option' in your booking form where one is asked to tick a box if they wish to be informed of similar events, I declined this option but was informed that I must tick it to proceed, What's the point of giving an 'option' that one can't decline?)

I noticed this also - I was going to say its likely something that EventMaster add to all events by default but having checked a few other event registrations its either not present or present (but not mandatory).

Regardless, I've signed up again - the Donegal Bay Spring Sportive is a great early season event - some great scenery (we've been lucky with the weather the past few years, a bit windy in places but dry) and a few wee hills thrown in too. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I noticed this also - I was going to say its likely something that EventMaster add to all events by default but having checked a few other event registrations its either not present or present (but not mandatory).

Regardless, I've signed up again - the Donegal Bay Spring Sportive is a great early season event - some great scenery (we've been lucky with the weather the past few years, a bit windy in places but dry) and a few wee hills thrown in too. Looking forward to it!

thanks it was raised to me in a meeting last night, ive turned off that as a mandatory field (hopefully !)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Booked, this will be my 6th Attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fantastic event. Very sorry I'm not around for it this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Great event last year. Top notch organisation. Spent a whole two hours telling myself I wouldn't do the 140 and opt out at the junction, got to the junction and did the 140, some hill. Enjoyed every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

What's the drive like up to Donegal from Dublin? How would it compare with Killarney for example?

velo.2010 wrote: »
    What's the drive like up to Donegal from Dublin? How would it compare with Killarney for example?
    Wouldn't be as far as Kilarney. Probably an hour quicker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's about 3 hours, from the M50 to donegal town. lovely scenery on the way along lough erne too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

We know everyone doesn't do the oul facebook page, so here is a link to the event website.

https://donegalbayspringsportive2019.wordpress.com/

Gives all details, plus a written account of the 140/100km routes, few photos as well.

On getting from Dublin to Donegal Town, I agree with others. About 3 hours to Donegal Town.

Motorway M3 all the way to outside Virginia, Cavan and road is then good to Enniskillen. Anyone coming that direction, watch out for speed vans through all of Cavan. Roads are wide and fast, it is easy to find yourself over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

I had this fella for company a few years ago :eek: This was an image from my rear camera, so thankfully was cycling away from him rather than about to run him over :p

Only one week until online registration for the Donegal Bay Spring Sportive closes so if you havent signed up yet, do it asap as places are limited.

https://eventmaster.ie/event/BEWF23c8j

Booked.
    Did the Ring of Kerry at that time last year. So, now I've cycling around both ends of the country ticked off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Trying to signup for the 100k but website throwing an error? Reloading the page doesnt help...

retalivity wrote: »
    Trying to signup for the 100k but website throwing an error? Reloading the page doesnt help...

can you PM me the error ?

thanks

ed

Seems to have fixed itself now, i am in!

look forward to seeing you there !

Hmm, weather not looking great. Threat of rain and strong gusty winds likely. Not looking forward to riding into a headwind on the way back to Donegal town. Will wait till tomorrow and decide if its worth driving up.

Hmm, weather not looking great. Threat of rain and strong gusty winds likely. Not looking forward to riding into a headwind on the way back to Donegal town. Will wait till tomorrow and decide if its worth driving up.
    Weather looking ok for tomorrow. Dry, between 6 and 10 degrees with a fresh south easterly. I'll take that over rain any day.

• Advertisement

Sunny, clear, but very very windy in NW donegal, southerly by the looks of it. On the way to donegal town now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Very stormy here today, wouldn't relish having to do that cycle today but good luck to all that did though!!

That was crazy......took me nearly 3hrs to do the 45k from the foodstop back to donegal (plus detours!) - wind was mental

That was a bit of a slog alright!

Well, the food was great!

Seriously though, that was dangerous at times today. I heard folk were getting lifts back to the finish as it was too much for some. It wasn't nice leaning the bike over in that wind and I think a few will have been out off doing an event like that again if there is any chance of strong winds.

Anyway, I don't feel too fatigued after the drive back to Kildare. Lets see if they get any of that wind tomorrow at Roubaix.

Well, the food was great!

Seriously though, that was dangerous at times today. I heard folk were getting lifts back to the finish as it was too much for some. It wasn't nice leaning the bike over in that wind and I think a few will have been out off doing an event like that again if there is any chance of strong winds.

Anyway, I don't feel too fatigued after the drive back to Kildare. Lets see if they get any of that wind tomorrow at Roubaix.
    First time I've seen riders walking down descents as they were so afraid of getting blown off the road. I had several squeaky bum moments! I'm a bit stiff now after the drive back to Dublin.

(Another first for me today - sportive stopped by marshals to allow a funeral cortege to exit a side road).

..... I heard folk were getting lifts back to the finish as it was too much for some....
    From their FB page:
    At times it felt like 'the evacuation of Dunkirk' we were ferrying so many people back home with whatever means available due to the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Well, that was brutal.

I thought I was well used to wind but never had a day on the bike like it.

Got plenty use out of the small ring, so many times going for for one more shift only to find already in easiest gear ... and that was on the downhills.

Not sure of accuracy but heard it was 40kmh with 70kmh gusts, sure felt like it when being thrown across the road like a rag doll. Unfortunately seen a couple of falls and many more having to walk, as mentioned this was even on flat or downhill and due to cyclists feeling unsafe with head or side winds.

Well done to anyone who took part. Organisation was top class as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Tough day on the bike with those winds alright. Needed all my concentration to stay upright on ascents and descents too. Pushed to edge of road a few times.
    Great organisation by marshals and enjoyed it.
    Felt sorry for the lad who drove under the goalposts taking off his bike and roof rack at the car park. Hopefully not too much damage.
    Met wishbone ash at the food stop and always good to put a face to a name.

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who came and well done to anyone who finished. Unfortunately it turned into a brutal day with the wind. Naturally enough, as organisers we had been keeping an eye on the weather all week and whilst it was giving it to be windy, we did not expect it to be that bad. Clearly most other people didn't either as over 400 still showed up. I think even on the morning, it wasn't that bad and their was a tailwind on the westerly journey so it was deceptive, only when people turned, were they hit with the full extent of the wind. Some of the roads back are also very exposed which didn't help.

When the 50k riders were returning, they were saying it was dangerous over the final climb on the main road with all the traffic cones and wind. Unfortunately there are limited routes back to Donegal Town town and so we made a decision to re-route the 100k finish on a road which was more sheltered but added 5km and a tougher finish. Some did go around, but most people were so ****ed by the time they got to the turn-off point, they just wanted to go straight back the main road through the traffic cones as did most of the 140k riders as well.

A few did come off, but nobody was seriously hurt and the 2 ambulances were not called into action. We got as many people out in vehicles to help get cyclists back who couldn't continue or felt unsafe to continue. Everyone who wanted to stop was brought back to the finish. Don't know how many, but think it was around 50. We did consider stopping it at one point, but getting over 400 people back to the finish is not that simple and cyclist's being cyclists, most wanted to finish and a few were not too happy when asked about stopping.

It really spoiled it for everyone, but most people still seemed happy enough. I had 3 who stopped, back in the car with me and they were all set to come back again to do it next year. Just the nature of cycling, that the elements can play havoc with an event, especially where we are based. In 7 editions, this is the first really bad day we have had weather wise.

I suppose on the flip side, there will be plenty of epic stories of the day in the crazy wind in Donegal. Thanks again to everyone who came and we can only apologise for the conditions.

Advertisement