Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Bay Spring Sportive 2019 April 13th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Weather looking ok for tomorrow. Dry, between 6 and 10 degrees with a fresh south easterly. I'll take that over rain any day.

That's what we were thinking Friday evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

DonegalBay wrote: »
    Thanks again to everyone who came and we can only apologise for the conditions.
    No need to apologise for the conditions - completely out of your control. You did everything right with regard to the organisation and marshalling, and everybody who wanted to get a lift back, got one.

For 20 euro, it was the best spread of food I've found at any sportive I've done previously and that includes some events who rate themselves highly on what they provide for riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....It really spoiled it for everyone....
    While it made for a very tough day, it certainly didn't spoil it. We need these type of challenges to harden us up. At least it was dry. Can you imagine the chaos you would have had if those winds were accompanied by rain? :eek:

It was nowhere near as tough as the conditions on the Orwell 200 a few weeks ago.

(I though it was funny hearing riders talking about the wind on the VCB Sportive this morning. It was practically dead calm compared to south west Donegal yesterday. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Thanks to everyone who came and well done to anyone who finished. <snip>

This post pretty much sums up the day for me. This was my fourth crack at it and the toughest by quite some margin. I've cycled in strong winds before, but not for hours on end - being on my own for most of the return leg didn't help either. I was so very very close to calling it a day, pedalling downhill in order to just keep moving was so demoralising (they're my hard-fought reward for all the climbing), but just managed to cross the line under my own steam - and in many ways that was all the more satisfying than having an 'easy' day on the bike.

It certainly hasn't put me off - the DBSS is one of my favourite sportives - a challenging, but beautiful route (you guys on the west coast don't know how lucky you are - or maybe you do!). I was probably somewhere near the tail-end of the pack, but the marshalls were great and it was reassuring to see support vehicles passing up and down the road on a regular basis, keeping an eye on everyone and if I couldn't stick it any longer, a cosy, wind-free trip back to HQ. Once again, thanks to everyone involved - your effort is very much appreciated.

Definitely one I'll remember for some time to come :)

Saw someone come past me in boards jersey at one point too....

Well done for sticking with it AxleAddict.

It was probably myself who passed you in Boards gear.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Felt sorry for the lad who drove under the goalposts taking off his bike and roof rack at the car park.

I did wonder myself what had happened there - I heard the crunching sound and saw a fella kicking his roof rack in total disgust afterwards. If nothing else, it saved him several hours of cycling into the wind (the bike might've ended bp being thrown into a ditch somewhere out along the route instead!)

(Another first for me today - sportive stopped by marshals to allow a funeral cortege to exit a side road).

Had something similar happen at the Sean Kelly Tour of the Midlands last year - the only problem being that in order to get everyone stopped quickly we needed to call out the hazard to those behind us - but once stopped, it was all very respectful.

AxleAddict wrote: »
    I did wonder myself what had happened there - I heard the crunching sound and saw a fella kicking his roof rack in total disgust afterwards. If nothing else, it saved him several hours of cycling into the wind (the bike might've ended bp being thrown into a ditch somewhere out along the route instead!)
    I was parked very close to that incident and heard the clatter. I think the bikes were ok and he was able to ride it. The bike rack detached from the car and took the brunt of the damage.

(Next year, a net on the goals or a few ribbons across it will hopefully prevent a similar incident).

Advertisement