Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension

Options
  • 25-02-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi. Obviously we need to get an architect/ engineer but just curious in the now to know if anyone has experience of extending this style of house? We would ideally love to push out the kitchen at the rear to make a bigger kitchen - diner and utility. I'm just wondering about the odd shape of the house and how you would go about it. I have googled but not seen a house like ours with such a low roof at the sides. Not even sure how you describe the house type? It's 4 rooms and bathroom downstairs and 2 rooms with shower room upstairs.
    Forgot pic sorry. Next post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

Pic attached

Pic attached

Looking for guidance here. Have the option of buying the house we rent currently. Would really want an extension of thinking of it long-term to make it a better functioning house for a family. Would probably need an architect to guide around what is possible and affordable. Don't want to spend a fortune on architect fees if we do nothing. What is the minimum service we can expect from an architect as in a consultation without paying a fortune? Apologies if this is a stupid query. I don't want to ring around until I have a bit of heads up. Clueless! Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Could you outline what you mean by ‘affordable’ and ‘a fortune’

Would 10% of the extension construction costs sound reasonable?
    Would a similar call-out fee that say a doctor or plumber would charge for a consultation be reasonable?

BryanF wrote: »
    Could you outline what you mean by ‘affordable’ and ‘a fortune’

Would 10% of the extension construction costs sound reasonable?
    Would a similar call-out fee that say a doctor or plumber would charge for a consultation be reasonable?

By doctor, I'm assuming you mean a consultant ie minimum 150 which would be fine. I have heard anecdotally of a E500 consultation fee. Just wondering if that's the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Cat_M wrote: »
    By doctor, I'm assuming you mean a consultant ie minimum 150 which would be fine. I have heard anecdotally of a E500 consultation fee. Just wondering if that's the norm.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 McMoo

firms normally charge a consultation fee - they shouldn't have to give the couple of hours needed to visit you for free. After that you will need a survey done and some initial sketch designs. Expect to pay somewhere between 1500-2000. this should give you a clear vision of what you can do and how much its all likely to cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

McMoo wrote: »
    they shouldn't have to give the couple of hours needed to visit you for free.

Why not? Building contractors don’t get paid for job viewings and submitting tenders which cost a few hundred euro at a minimum to put together even for a small project.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

scwazrh wrote: »
    Why not? Building contractors don’t get paid for job viewings and submitting tenders which cost a few hundred euro at a minimum to put together even for a small project.

Big difference here: builder is bidding for work here so risk reward comes in.

The free consultation here is just that, with no possibility of work

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement