Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awful N11 cycling track - can anything be done

Options
  • 25-02-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi folks,

Anyone here cycle through the god awful cycle tracks on the N11?
    Particularly, the one from Stillorgan grange apartments to UCd/Donnybrook.

Too many cracks on the road, tracks not merging properly. This makes it more of an off road experience than city cycling. Not something one looks forward to whilst cycling to work.

Is there a place where I can register my grievance about this. Thanks and have a good evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Alexzont

I've been cycling it out of town for the last 6 years, the only improvement they've ever made in that time is patching up HALF the strip going along by RTE. I don't even bother taking it in and stick to the Rock road. It's a shame since it's such a busy route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I agree. That N11 section AND the Leopardstown Rd.
    Especially the deep-dish, double-sided, extra lumpy with added tree-roots section between Foxrock Manor and Torquay Rd...

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2753384,-6.1901672,3a,75y,219h,73.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Am34CS7xmusN-RPDlLQ5A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One wrong move there and you'll end up with a pizza face. Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I usually use the Clonskeagh/Ranelagh route to avoid it. I try to traverse it, if necessary, and never follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I think you could just call the council and ask?
    Disgraceful dangerous scary ....so many issues not fixed and a 7 year old could plan it better. The route from RTE TO UCD is insane:
    Never cleaned, collects rain so potholes lethal with heavy rain, Drains in the cycle lane all the way and change side all the time like dodgums, Busses beep and intimidate you (only some), Cars park in lane, Busses pull in in front of you forcing you out, Surface quality lethal. It's an embarrassment and the Ross minister of muppetry should be shot (not literally).

On the way in to town before the Radison coming down the hill recently a lane was put behind a new bus stop. Great but would love to know the cost it took weeks to do. But importantly what fool designs these. The new stop has a decent curve the cyclist must negotiate so you lean to the right....they put a huge lamppost right by the cycle lane...scary for the cyclist and dangerous.
    Design geniuses put a bin on another stop and it only opens from the cycle lane......Honestly a child would do better.

Sorry for the rant but it is unforgivable to put us in danger like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maddy1026

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I usually use the Clonskeagh/Ranelagh route to avoid it. I try to traverse it, if necessary, and never follow it.
    Unfortunately for me , can't avoid it.

• Advertisement

work wrote: »
    I think you could just call the council and ask?
    Disgraceful dangerous scary ....so many issues not fixed and a 7 year old could plan it better. The route from RTE TO UCD is insane:
    Never cleaned, collects rain so potholes lethal with heavy rain, Drains in the cycle lane all the way and change side all the time like dodgums, Busses beep and intimidate you (only some), Cars park in lane, Busses pull in in front of you forcing you out, Surface quality lethal. It's an embarrassment and the Ross minister of muppetry should be shot (not literally).

On the way in to town before the Radison coming down the hill recently a lane was put behind a new bus stop. Great but would love to know the cost it took weeks to do. But importantly what fool designs these. The new stop has a decent curve the cyclist must negotiate so you lean to the right....they put a huge lamppost right by the cycle lane...scary for the cyclist and dangerous.
    Design geniuses put a bin on another stop and it only opens from the cycle lane......Honestly a child would do better.

Sorry for the rant but it is unforgivable to put us in danger like this.
    I completely agree with you , it's poor design and not well thought out at all.

Do you mean call the Dublin city council ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re which council to call - the flyover at UCD and south of that is DLR, north of it is DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

maddy1026 wrote: »
    I completely agree with you , it's poor design and not well thought out at all.

Do you mean call the Dublin city council ?

The UCD flyover is the boundary between Dublin City and Din laoighre rathdown councils

re which council to call - the flyover at UCD and south of that is DLR, north of it is DCC.
    Thanks , will update you folks if anything useful /positive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My main issues are really Whites Cross to Kilmacud Road. I generally take the bus lane for those sections (where it's not on the road anyway). Whitescross to Brewey road is appauling surface (cedes right of way too), and then dumps you in a crap position. The Hill (where Esmonde Motors was) to Kilmacud Road is an ok surface, but dumps you out ceding right of way at the pedestrian crossing.

There's a few holes that they could fill, but I don't find it too bad tbh. The new section, while it took ages for what it is, I generally take handy enough as still lots of potential pedestrian interactions. I hadn't noticed the lamppost tbh.

I do sometimes do Nutley Lane to UCD southbound too - I don't even bother with that clusterf*ck of a cycle lane with all the cracked concrete and sunken grates.

I only generally go as far as UCD at the moment, but when I was in Town I used the Rock Road. I haven't done it in a few years, but I never found Temple Hill to Deansgrange that pleasant tbh, particularly outbound in rush hour. Maybe there's a better alternative that I never discovered back up to the N11/ Shankill from the end of the Blackrock bypass?

I will however give special mention of whoever in DLR gave permission for what they've done with the closed cycle lane/ bus lane out in Loughlinstown. Zero reason the footpath couldn't be shared space (if it even needs closing at all at that point), rather than the official choice of dismount or out on the road! Email gone in this morning anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BusConnects plan for the Stillorgan Road was released today. You can view it here.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    My main issues are really Whites Cross to Kilmacud Road. I generally take the bus lane for those sections (where it's not on the road anyway). Whitescross to Brewey road is appauling surface (cedes right of way too), and then dumps you in a crap position. The Hill (where Esmonde Motors was) to Kilmacud Road is an ok surface, but dumps you out ceding right of way at the pedestrian crossing.

There's a few holes that they could fill, but I don't find it too bad tbh. The new section, while it took ages for what it is, I generally take handy enough as still lots of potential pedestrian interactions. I hadn't noticed the lamppost tbh.

I do sometimes do Nutley Lane to UCD southbound too - I don't even bother with that clusterf*ck of a cycle lane with all the cracked concrete and sunken grates.

I only generally go as far as UCD at the moment, but when I was in Town I used the Rock Road. I haven't done it in a few years, but I never found Temple Hill to Deansgrange that pleasant tbh, particularly outbound in rush hour. Maybe there's a better alternative that I never discovered back up to the N11/ Shankill from the end of the Blackrock bypass?

I will however give special mention of whoever in DLR gave permission for what they've done with the closed cycle lane/ bus lane out in Loughlinstown. Zero reason the footpath couldn't be shared space (if it even needs closing at all at that point), rather than the official choice of dismount or out on the road! Email gone in this morning anyway...

I use Kilgobbit Park when I cycle in, rather than go through Deansgrange. It's a slight detour but much more pleasant than cycling on the road:

https://goo.gl/maps/rUiH5Bo1wUk

more generally I prefer the Rock Road for going into town. Cycle lane on the Rock Bypass is actually pretty decent and from there to Vincents is OK. Through Ballsbridge isn't great though.

It was the Stradbrook Road to Deansgrange I never liked - I generally found the Clonkeen Road onwards ok. Maybe through Bakers Corner onto Pottery Road or down and through the park might be a better option though. I may be back into town later in the year, but always worth having a few routes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The biggest pain in the hole is you get so much aggro from motorists for not using the extremely ****e bits (e.g. nutley lane to UCD with all the drains).

Also the 'cycle lane' in Donnybrook is such a waste of paint, I can't for the life of me understand why they bother throwing down the broken line for a cycle lane when the lane is barely wide enough for a car. I'd genuinely like to know what the reason for that is if anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's called lip service, a.k.a tokenism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The N11 is a nightmare, I don't have to take it anymore thank fcuk, but I did for about 12 years. It is irredeemably hideous.
    The lines painted on the road, I actually like controversially. I'm not a fan of segregated infrastructure, as we can't seem to ever build it right, and the lines on the road remind motorists that cyclists exist and need/take up space on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I use it most days from Donnybrook to Brewery and find it fine. Could be better but certainly not as bad as some of the hyperbole above suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Got hit with that lane closure this morning, absolute joke, to be honest I’ve cycled the route from Shankill to town on the N11 for the last 5 years and it’s a joke of a path. Really needs a lot of work, the route coming home is slightly better but not much, just past fox rock church is in terrible condition.

Got hit with that lane closure this morning, absolute joke,
    I emailed DLR County Council on it yesterday. I have a case number and it's been referred to "Traffic" for investigation.

Overall, to UCD bar the sections I mentioned I don't find it too bad. But like the bit after Foxrock Church southbound, it probably doesn't seem as bad since I switched to 32mm tyres (and away from Marathon Plus'!).

For me, it's still a less stressful option than the alternative of Lamb's Cross/ Dundrum/ Clonskeagh Road, and I never really liked Deansgrange Road/ Stradbrook Road heading home via the Rock Road.

jive wrote: »
    Also the 'cycle lane' in Donnybrook is such a waste of paint, I can't for the life of me understand why they bother throwing down the broken line for a cycle lane when the lane is barely wide enough for a car. I'd genuinely like to know what the reason for that is if anyone knows?

It's so a local council department can pat themselves on the back and brag about the miles of cycles lanes they've "built".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Cycled it regularly over 20 years but it's been getting worse and worse somehow, don't go no near it at all anymore unless I'm out at night and need the lighting. Chopped up broken surfaces and crisscrossing lines and kerbs and debris is dangerous enoygh, what makes it worse is it's a suburban road that people drive like a motorway.

loyatemu wrote: »
    BusConnects plan for the Stillorgan Road was released today. You can view it here.
    Actually seems ok from a cyclist point of view? I wouldn't be convinced the new layout will do much around the Old Dublin Road/ Trees Road - issues are behavioural rather than layout there, imo. I'll still be taking the Loughlinstown Roundabout and in by Jim Rock though, not the 4 traffic light cycling route...

Most of it won't be too contentious from Loughlinstown Roundabout in as far as Donnybrook. Issues are going to be Donnybrook, and it doesn't appear that different to existing Loughlinstown Roundabout to Bray, bar the roundabouts going.

Is the bit in Map 37 where they've started work this week - where I and maxamillius mentioned above with the cycle lane closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

I generally take the Rock Road option rather than the N11 but rode out from Donnybrook to Shankill the other evening - it really is a mess!

Actually seems ok from a cyclist point of view? I wouldn't be convinced the new layout will do much around the Old Dublin Road/ Trees Road - issues are behavioural rather than layout there, imo. I'll still be taking the Loughlinstown Roundabout and in by Jim Rock though, not the 4 traffic light cycling route...

Most of it won't be too contentious from Loughlinstown Roundabout in as far as Donnybrook. Issues are going to be Donnybrook, and it doesn't appear that different to existing Loughlinstown Roundabout to Bray, bar the roundabouts going.

Is the bit in Map 37 where they've started work this week - where I and maxamillius mentioned above with the cycle lane closing?

no work has started yet - this is a consultation process.

loyatemu wrote: »
    no work has started yet - this is a consultation process.
    Yes, I know. But it's not the mess Bus Connects has proposed for cyclists on other corridors.

On Section 37, they say it's covered by an alternative development (or something along those lines) and is greyed out. I think that's the point where they've closed the cycle and bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

PaulieC wrote:
    I use it most days from Donnybrook to Brewery and find it fine. Could be better but certainly not as bad as some of the hyperbole above suggests.

What sort of a bike are you riding ... a mountain bike? The surface is in bits along most of that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

work wrote: »
    The route from RTE TO UCD is insane:

Worst section of bike lane in the city in terms of state of repair and design(potholes in the middle). I mailed council 5 years ago about it - got canned response, posted issue to fixmystreet.ie last year nothing. Tweeted couple of weeks ago and got favourable response from Cllr Dermot Lacey and Cllr Claire Byrne who said they had raised it with council. I noticed yesterday that it has been cleaned - the median moraine is gone now - small win #ibikeivote.

Regarding the cars parked - they relate to the renovation of the house - go to Donnybrook Garda Stn and insist on getting a pulse number ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Both, I would have thought, cycling friendly ones first. Hit local TDs with letters as well. They love that type of thing. And don't leave Shane out of it! You should also try a letter to local free paper as well. and don't forget a Facebook page!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The bus lane is lovely though, so just use that, problem solved

You can get up some daycent speed on the n11 inbound with the right wind, it's great really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

C3PO wrote: »
    What sort of a bike are you riding ... a mountain bike? The surface is in bits along most of that section.

I have a road bike with 32mm tyres. That short section requires a bit more concentration than the other parts but it's not an assault course...

Advertisement