Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The awful N11 cycling track - can anything be done

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

loyatemu wrote: »
    BusConnects plan for the Stillorgan Road was released today. You can view it here.

Some interesting bits on that.

Roundabout at Bray North to replaced by a signalled junction with southbound free flow bus and cycle routes. That will also stop traffic trying to get in and out of the N11 as a rat run during evening rush hour.

Roundabouts at Shankill North and South to be replaced by signalled junctions, and the first concrete proposal for the route of the cycling quietway around the west of the village. I can see myself using it inbound, it'll depend on how the outbound works.

Loughlinstown roundabout to be signalled and no longer be free flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Rode it outbound on the MTB today... best bit of urban singletrack I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Plastik wrote: »
    Some interesting bits on that.

Roundabout at Bray North to replaced by a signalled junction with southbound free flow bus and cycle routes. That will also stop traffic trying to get in and out of the N11 as a rat run during evening rush hour.

Roundabouts at Shankill North and South to be replaced by signalled junctions, and the first concrete proposal for the route of the cycling quietway around the west of the village. I can see myself using it inbound, it'll depend on how the outbound works.

Loughlinstown roundabout to be signalled and no longer be free flow.

there isn't a hope in hell I'll use that Shankill "quietway" - it'll be far quicker to go through the village.

loyatemu wrote: »
    there isn't a hope in hell I'll use that Shankill "quietway" - it'll be far quicker to go through the village.

I think it'll depend on what sort of effect the signaling of the roundabout at the bottom of the bridge will have on traffic backing up there. In the grand scheme of the inbound commute the most preferable option might end up being Ballybride-Tassie. The quietway has the potential to be a nice option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Plastik wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of the inbound commute the most preferable option might end up being Ballybride-Tassie. The quietway has the potential to be a nice option though.

Always use Cherrywood Road - Tassie on my inbound commute! Even at 5.40am the Loughlinstown r'about is not a pleasant place on a bike! I'd be coming on from the Shankill exit and would have to ride across the inbound N11!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

C3PO wrote: »
    I'd be coming on from the Shankill exit and would have to ride across the inbound N11!
    It's actually been alright in my experience, and that's after 7.30 usually. Having said that, sometimes earlier brings out the worse/ less attentive driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

work wrote: »
    I think you could just call the council and ask?
    The route from RTE TO UCD is insane: Never cleaned, collects rain so potholes lethal with heavy rain, Drains in the cycle lane all the way and change side all the time like dodgums, Busses beep and intimidate you (only some), Cars park in lane, Busses pull in in front of you forcing you out, Surface quality lethal. It's an embarrassment and the Ross minister of muppetry should be shot (not literally).

Bloody stupid and dangerous "cycle track", I always ignore it. Have got some grief from bus drivers (beeping, skimming too close to teach me a lesson), motorists (beeping, shouting out windows), and even other cyclists (one knob shouted at me to use the cycle lane as I rode by in the bus lane :D )

The rest of the route from Stillorgan to Dublin I find not too bad to be honest, guess I'm just used to it after 10 years+ commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I used to use a bit of it heading to work in Deansgrange, turning right from Foster's Ave, going left at Foxrock church (good uphill and downhill), maybe eight years ago or so. It was alright on my hardtail mountainbike, which avoids the RTÉ bit. There is worse. Now there is better too (cycle track along the Dodder and others), but going on some of the Bus Gate proposals, it could be made even worse.

Now there is better too (cycle track along the Dodder and others), but going on some of the Bus Gate proposals, it could be made even worse.
    The bus connects proposals seem ok for the N11 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

jive wrote: »
    The biggest pain in the hole is you get so much aggro from motorists for not using the extremely ****e bits (e.g. nutley lane to UCD with all the drains).

Its one of the things that really grinds my gears when the whole cyclist/motorist debate/mud slinging starts - motorists who never cycle themselves pontificating and complaining from behind the wheel of their cars about cyclists not using the "perfect" cycle paths provided. Get yourself on a bike and go cycle them yourself for a couple of weeks and come back to report on how "perfect" they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    Its one of the things that really grinds my gears when the whole cyclist/motorist debate/mud slinging starts - motorists who never cycle themselves pontificating and complaining from behind the wheel of their cars about cyclists not using the "perfect" cycle paths provided. Get yourself on a bike and go cycle them yourself for a couple of weeks and come back to report on how "perfect" they are!
    If you really want your gears grinded, have a think about all the motorists complaining from behind the wheels of their cars with four empty seats about the space being taken up by cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The bus connects proposals seem ok for the N11 imo.

Actually, yes, I was more thinking of other places where the bus connect proposals are ill judged. What's for the N11 seems good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/public-notices/work-commence-new-signalised-junction-n11

No planning for cyclists while working on the new junction in Cabinteely

"Restrictions to cycle lanes will require 'Cyclist dismount' notices at the site."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Muller_1 wrote: »
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/public-notices/work-commence-new-signalised-junction-n11

"Restrictions to cycle lanes will require 'Cyclist dismount' notices at the site."

If you want to be one of those weirdo's not travelling in a car, then tough t*tty, on your own head be it. We'll just continue to cater for folks that prefer to sit in lines behind each other for hours like normal people.

Pretty typical of the ludicrous car-culture we have here.

Muller_1 wrote: »

Haven't heard back from my case yet, but that's the spot I complained about. Zero reason that if the footpath can be maintained, the cycle path can't, imo.

Each morning I pass I'm tempted to hop off and see if I can pull out the barrier, but inevitably I lash up on to the detour for a bit of faux-cx.

Advertisement