Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Switch Gems

Options
  • 25-02-2019 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

With 2000 games in the eshop, what are some hidden gems that nobody has heard of?

Everyone knows the likes of Hollow Knight, the Steamworld games, Celeste, Isaac etc.

What are the lesser known games that people might want to check out?

My first selection is Debris Infinity. It's a bit of Geometry Wars meets Asteroids with couch co-op/versus, online/friend leaderboards, 3 modes that are different enough to make them all worth playing, a satisfying bullet time ability that can save you in a pinch, and a great soundtrack (a good variety - headphones are ideal). Only a fiver too....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CiDeRmAn mentioned Love a few days ago. A minimalist platform game with basic graphics and a great soundtrack. I don't have it yet, but he recommended it. Looks a bit like VVVVVV without gravity mechanics.

Fred Wood (the author) released a sequel called Kuso, which apparently has all of Love's levels included for a slightly higher price (so it might be better value)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bugger!
    I'll have to buy that as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Gunman Clive was great on the 3ds, I saw they have a hd pack of both games on the eshop.

I heard Glass Masquerade mentioned on the What's Good Games podcast a few weeks ago. It's a nice relaxing jigsaw game with lovely graphics and music, and 25 puzzles of varying difficulty. The Steam game has DLC out, and Glass Masquerade 2 (with multiple difficulties and rotating puzzle pieces) is out tomorrow, so I assume a Switch release for both can't be too far away.

This is a great game to play in bed for 10 minutes before going to sleep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »

Fred Wood (the author) released a sequel called Kuso, which apparently has all of Love's levels included for a slightly higher price (so it might be better value)

Had to buy it, LOVE is seriously outstanding, like a less frustrating VVVVVV tbh.
    In fact, it's a bit of an antidote to the wave after wave of Super Meat Boy type platformers that seem intent on punishing the player.
    It might look like it's going to be like that, in playing it is far more like a traditional platformer.

With my remaining gold points this cost me about €3.24!

• Advertisement

Damn you Mr E, it's sublime...
    Edit: apparently "Kuso" means sh1te in Japanese....
    Still love the game anyway!

Gonna resurrect this thread. I have a few more to add to it.

Currently playing a game called Batbarian. No wait, don't go. I know the name is awful, but the game is great. :)

I grabbed it on sale over Christmas and forgot about it. Started it on Monday and I'm hooked.

It's a well designed metroidvania where the gimmick is that you have a bat companion that you use to solve puzzles (throw various kinds of fruit at lights and switches for the bat to interact with). The pixel art is lovely, the music is great, the map works well (and has fast travel) and the game is genuinely funny. Chunky length too (up to 10 hours) with multiple endings. It's very rewarding too.

€13-16 (ish) depending on region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Would recommend My Friend Pedro. 2D Deadpool-style game. Lots of jumping,spinning, slowing down time shooting. Takes a bit of getting use to the controls but its great fun once you do. The story is weird, I ignored it.

Bloodroots is another game I picked up fairly cheap awhile back. Any game where you can use a ladder as a weapon is A-OK with me.

Immortal redneck

I wouldn't be the biggest fps or roguelite fan in the world but did find that this game caught me for a fair while

has the motion control aiming which is a must for any switch fps really

addictive loop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The Messenger is underrated I feel, bounces between 8 and 16bit era with some nifty mechanics, the controls are super tight (as good as the Ori games) to the point by the time you are getting to the end you can just about fly around the place at your leisure.

One of my favourite games I played last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Gunman Clive was great on the 3ds, I saw they have a hd pack of both games on the eshop.

It's brilliant on Switch. I got it for a few quid for both games. Fantastic playability and probably the best soundtrack on any game this side of a Nintendo AAA. Not sure why it clicked so much with me. Think it's because it's a no buill**** video game and the bosses are really well done.

(update)
    Gunman Clive was done by 1 guy and his brother. Think about that.
    Also, it's 100 times more fun than RDR2.
    It's also more historically accurate as it's got panda bears and pterodactyls in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Good to know thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

2ndcoming wrote: »

The Messenger is underrated I feel, bounces between 8 and 16bit era with some nifty mechanics, the controls are super tight (as good as the Ori games) to the point by the time you are getting to the end you can just about fly around the place at your leisure.

One of my favourite games I played last year.

Saw your post this morning, and downloaded on the Xbox PC yoke, playing all day now. Feck all work getting done today, but thats tomorrows problem :pac:

Ta!

Advertisement