Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with skip hire

Options
  • 26-02-2019 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.

I hired a skip to get rid of some junk.

I was told when I was hiring it the it was for 5 days and that it was my responsibility for that time.

At the end of the 5 days (Friday) the company never turned up for it so I rang and they said they would come for it on the Monday. Monday came and went, I rang them again and they told me they were down a driver and they would get to me asap, the following Tuesday (2weeks after first hire) the driver turned up.

Over the 10 days that the skip was there after the hire period people from the local area started using the skip when I wasn't there or late at night.

The driver refused to take the skip as it was over full (despite it not been the case when the 5 day hire period).

The company in question is now saying that I need to unload the skip of all the rubbish that was put in after the hire period (other people's rubbish) before they will lift it and until I do that they are going to start charging me a daily rental rate.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Tell the skip company you will counter charge them for storing their skip on your property every day after you rang them to collect and they need to get over and remove if immediately. Anything they leave behind you will get another skip company and charge the first company for the removal. Don't let them bully you.

It should have been collected on the Friday but left for 2weeks. That will give the desired effect.

For future skip hire once filled ring them to collect even if they say it will be collected on a particular day. Some companies wait for you to ring them.
    Get name if the person you speak to. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Being a c|_|nt to another person on the phone rarely gets a better result than being nice friendly and firm.

So i agree don't allow yourself to be bullied, don't accept a charge and if you dont get the result you want; ask to speak to a manager and tell them you wish to make a complaint that they are the ones at fault for failing to provide the service.

Tell them you will be starting a chargeback on your visa card if the service is not completed in a reasonable time (IE Skip collected) and that any thing added to the skip after the date they agree to collect it is their problem not yours.

If that doesnt work, consider hitting them up on their social media platforms & write a registered letter to their head office.

if you still cant get satisfaction, and ring the ccpc crowd for advice on Consumer Helpline on Lo-call* 1890 432 432 or 01 402 5555 & look into doing a chargeback for your credit debit card.

Advertisement