Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of kids sports memberships around the city and county

• 26-02-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi Just wondering what do kid's sports memberships generally cost around the city and county? Would e150 be excessive for u9's soccer? Seems like madness to me. Think it was about e90 for the GAA membership last year but your getting 2 sports for that. Seems good value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

I know my own GAA club in the County its €20 for u18 and €80 for Adult players. They do a Family membership as well for €70, 2 adults + all children under 18.

Can i ask what the €150 covers or where the money is going towards? Sounds to me like the club may have a new astro or some facility which they need to pay for...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If it's soccer and the money goes towards paying the referee/dry-cleaning bills throughout the season, then it's fair enough. If they expect you to pay more again at weekly matches then it seems a bit excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Kids athletics just outside city is €45 for year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hi Just wondering what do kid's sports memberships generally cost around the city and county? Would e150 be excessive for u9's soccer? Seems like madness to me. Think it was about e90 for the GAA membership last year but your getting 2 sports for that. Seems good value.
    What are costs within that?
    Does it pay for membership and training/paying ref costs for training each week or anything else apart from insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

E70 for football, E70 for hurling (different club) and E250 for soccer. Thought the soccer was a bit pricey but there's far less members than the GAA clubs so insurance, pitch hire, referees etc have to be split between less. You get the full kit too and a ball. All sports under 9's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

60e for Hurling (county Clare club), family membership €120

90e for Rugby (Shannon)

70e for 8 lessons at swimming so the clubs are great value in comparison.

150e does seem steep unless they get their own kit with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The football/soccer landscape has changed drastically in the city. Some teams have enlisted the help of professional coaching firms and this has driven other clubs to do the same or just not compete at the same level. There is of course a cost involved and ill tell you it equates to alot more than €250 when added to the 100€ or so membership fee. At our club we also pay 2€ per session on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

1. GAA Club just outside the City

Kids €40
    Adults €60
    Family (two parents and unlimited parents) €120
    No need to pay at each training session.

2. Soccer club just outside the City

Kids €30.
    Pay €3 for indoor hall rental in winter months.
    No weekly cost for outdoor grass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Stab*City wrote: »
    The football/soccer landscape has changed drastically in the city. Some teams have enlisted the help of professional coaching firms and this has driven other clubs to do the same or just not compete at the same level. There is of course a cost involved and ill tell you it equates to alot more than €250 when added to the 100€ or so membership fee. At our club we also pay 2€ per session on top of that.

Professional coaching firms?What is that exactly?

bigpink wrote: »
    Professional coaching firms?What is that exactly?

There are a few operating in the city here is one:

https://www.totalfootball.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Interesting thread.
    Paying €70 for GAA kids membership in county Clare, €160 for family membership.
    Soccer club in city, were paying €100 euro, plus €1 for ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

paulpd wrote: »
    E70 for football, E70 for hurling (different club) and E250 for soccer. Thought the soccer was a bit pricey but there's far less members than the GAA clubs so insurance, pitch hire, referees etc have to be split between less. You get the full kit too and a ball. All sports under 9's.

Whose charging €250 for the soccer membership in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

damowill wrote: »
    I know my own GAA club in the County its €20 for u18 and €80 for Adult players. They do a Family membership as well for €70, 2 adults + all children under 18.

Can i ask what the €150 covers or where the money is going towards? Sounds to me like the club may have a new astro or some facility which they need to pay for...

Yes the club may have to pay for a new facility. They paid for a ex internalional player to present awards lately, you'd hear some junior players have got money in the last few year. Cant confirm that! It just leaves a sour taste on parents.
    From what I know it includes registration to the school boy league and some level of insurance. Not really sure what insurance cause we got no paper work last year. It seems very high for 8-9 year old who doesn't even play league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Thanks for the replies. It makes interesting reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Our local soccer team charge 40e for u9s, I could guess the club that is charging 150e as they pay for coaches, new pitch and upgrades in clubhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

its well know that some junior football clubs around town are paying players and most of them are paying their managers

a couple of them are paying more than Limerick FC

If you look at the top 6 teams in the premier league at least 3 of them are paying players

that money has to come from somewhere

You can't compare the cost of joining a GAA club to the cost of joining a soccer club. The funding is totally different for each. The GAA clubs are heavily subsidised by a body which has to pay no wages to its elite players, constantly sells out the biggest stadiums in the country and basically is a closed shop. The soccer clubs receive a lot less funding from its main body and receive a lot less support in the way of bums on seats.

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/gaa-to-make-multi-million-euro-increase-in-club-grants/

https://www.gaa.ie/news/over-million-allocated-gaa-clubs-sports-capital-programme/

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/fai-prioritise-youth-funding-in-league-of-ireland-investment-36601680.html

Advertisement