Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build simple networking question

• 26-02-2019 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I moving into a new build house with double ethernet ports in many rooms. So I have 12 cables coming back to a central point in the attic. The cable guy the electrician recommended is going to install a 12 patch panel and 12 port switch to connect these to my router/modem when I get it set up.

Am I right in thinking that a 12 port switch would only be able to supply 11 points around the house as 1 port on the switch is required for the router/modem? and what I really need is a 16 port switch. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You're exactly correct and it's the first thought that popped into my head as I finished that 3rd sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Really depends on the switch, some have a wan port to the router others use one of the ports to connect to router, there is little price difference between 12-16-24 ports, I would just go for the 24 port and get a POE one while you are at it. It will be useful later for wifi access points or CCTV cams etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Not necessarily. If the router is located in one of the rooms it could be plugged into one of the ports meaning a 12 port switch is enough.

However if you want the router co-located with the switch you would need the extra port. 16 port switches are more common and probably cheaper or at least similar in price to 12. Go with a 16 port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Always overprovision by a bit. At some point you'll want an NVR or NAS or IOT bridge etc and it'll be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Thanks everyone. Yeah the router will be located with the switch so I'll go for 16/24 so and POE a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement