Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Greenway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there scope for having a gate the locals themselves could control? i've seen it im limited fashion (nearer the city centre) where you have laneways behind houses which have a padlock only the locals have keys for.

that said, i doubt the council would be keen on investing in access to the greenway if the access was not predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There used to be one in Roselawn here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3853731,-6.3834185,3a,75y,42.99h,72.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp-xsKp1SJoqIBOzEZTO0vw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Haven't had to use it for years. Don't know if its still there or in use.

I was waiting for someone to mention it. Interesting that no one has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd forgotten about that. A friend grew up in Rushbrook, but I think that was added after they moved out.

Used to be open originally. I seem to remember it being walled off at one point, then replaced by a gate. But I might be confusing it with another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

beauf wrote: »

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3853731,-6.3834185,3a,75y,42.99h,72.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp-xsKp1SJoqIBOzEZTO0vw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It's still there. Random whether it's opened or not. Used to be closed around 10 every night then it was left open for a few months and seems to be back closed at night again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think people are over estimating the use of the Greenway. I've never seen a huge amount of people on the current route from Castleknock Station to Cross guns bridge. Suits me when cycling.

We talk about here like its the pope's visit.

What's the problem with it then?

If there aren't going to be loads of people using it, then there won't be hordes of people looking into bedroom windows or gangs of youths doing anti-social sorts of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I think people are over estimating the use of the Greenway. I've never seen a huge amount of people on the current route from Castleknock Station to Cross guns bridge. Suits me when cycling.

We talk about here like its the pope's visit.

The reason people aren't using it as much at the moment is because it doesn't link with other safe routes, so people afraid to cycle won't use it because they'll be left at areas (on-road) where they will not feel safe. When there's a network which this will assist, they will use it in their droves.

Have a look at the numbers using the short Grand Canal section from Rathmines to Grand Canal Dock any day of the week and you will see how popular these properly segregated and safe sections are.

Thanks for the reference to the Atkins report.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/2.4.3.A.18.1%20Royal%20Canal%20Greenway%20Feasiblity%20Report%202012%20Document_r.pdf

I could be wrong but access for the emergency vehicles seems to be only as far as Castleknock Station. I only scanned it.
    Also suggests the south side is 1.5m wide at its narrowest and 3.5m is the desired width.

I think 1.5 is workable for a short distance. But I don't have a problem with it on the north bank, fenced off from the locals. Thats not deal breaker for me. I don't care about their access. Thats something that could be sorted later. Likewise put privacy screen on the northside of the bridge.

Workable for whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I love that laneway for getting to/from SuperValu or Blanch village. It has never been closed when I tried to use it during the day.

there's also the kissing gates at the bottom of roselawn drive (which i've not used in years), seemed to be a busy enough thoroughfare for many people to get to the church or the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

is there scope for having a gate the locals themselves could control?

That's probably something all the locals would need to organise themselves I'd imagine. It can be hard enough to get locals to agree to close a laneway in some cases. I've been through it!

I know of a spot in London where there's a private wooded space between two areas. Locals can apply for a key, and pay a small yearly fee.
    A lot of them use it purely as a shortcut, knowing the fee is worth it for the time it saves getting to the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

there's also the kissing gates at the bottom of roselawn drive (which i've not used in years), seemed to be a busy enough thoroughfare for many people to get to the church or the village.

Were they ever locked? Could never understand what purpose they have.

Remind me wrote: »

Were they ever locked? Could never understand what purpose they have.

Stop motorbikes. The anti social activity that doesn't exist. Never locked.

But thats not an alley, and its never been blocked.
    Its also overlooked, well lit and to the front of a lot of houses.
    Which is the criteria in the plan for opening access.
    I've never heard of major issues with anti social activity there either.

As such its complete dis-similar to other locations under discussion like the time gate further up the road.

Workable for whom?

For me. Considering I've had to pass people on the current path which is far narrower. Ditto the whole route into town.

The reason people aren't using it as much at the moment is because it doesn't link with other safe routes, so people afraid to cycle won't use it because they'll be left at areas (on-road) where they will not feel safe. When there's a network which this will assist, they will use it in their droves.

Have a look at the numbers using the short Grand Canal section from Rathmines to Grand Canal Dock any day of the week and you will see how popular these properly segregated and safe sections are.

Castleknock Station to Cross guns bridge doesn't link to anywhere? Its connected to multible estates, areas, 3 train stations and one luaus station. There a vast amount of housing at Ashtown, Cabra, Phibsboro and Laurel Lodge, Roselawn, etc.

I'm familiar with the Grand Canal Route, tbh I preferred using the road on the other side of the canal. Its much faster. I used to join at Kilmainham and do the length of it regularly.

https://www.thejournal.ie/canal-crime-courts-4122979-Jul2018/
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107835614

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm a regular user of that too - Blanch village to Tesco or dashing to a public meeting in the community centre.

For me. Considering I've had to pass people on the current path which is far narrower. Ditto the whole route into town.

Are you on a bike?
    Are you a wheelchair user or someone who pushes a buggy?

As long as your needs are met then all is hunky dory with the route, is that what you're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Stop motorbikes. The anti social activity that doesn't exist. Never locked.

The only hassle I ever had along the canal was from scum bags with motorbikes.
    It was a long time ago though, 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Effects wrote: »

Tbf once they open it up to the dodgy folk in Delwood it'll be a war zone

:D

• Advertisement

actually, this brings up one potential concern i have in relation to crime and the greenway. if the greenway was to be placed in its entirety on the southside from the humpback bridge to coolmine, you'd have a ~2km stretch 'trapped' between the canal and the railway line with no 'escape' route. if there *was* to be a problem with criminal activity on the greenway, it could well be people who know if they harass or mug someone on the greenway, they won't be overlooked and the victim won't be able to escape easily.

You have the same issue on most of the exists currently. Its only overlooked (and escapable) at ashtown~Rathborne the rest of it zilch. The same from Coolmine outwards.

No one seems to have a problem with that.

Are you on a bike?
    Are you a wheelchair user or someone who pushes a buggy?

As long as your needs are met then all is hunky dory with the route, is that what you're saying?

Isn't that what EVERYONE is saying?

I was on the fence but I've decided I don't care about any of you anyway. :D

Someone tells me they've removed some of the kissing gates on the canal. There used to be too many. I haven't done it in a while. So I'm a bit out of touch. I've not noticed from the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm considering using a section of the greenway,Drumcondra to Ashtown to get to the Halfway House, during the usual commute times morning and evening. Is there anyone on here who regularly travels that section? Are there any issues with antisocial behaviour there. I'd sooner take an alternate route than risk having the bike taken, or getting a dig. At the same time, if the risk is zero or minimal, well there's no point in biting off my nose to spite my face.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Phibsboro to Ashtown is grand. Very busy stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I'm considering using a section of the greenway,Drumcondra to Ashtown to get to the Halfway House, during the usual commute times morning and evening. Is there anyone on here who regularly travels that section? Are there any issues with antisocial behaviour there. I'd sooner take an alternate route than risk having the bike taken, or getting a dig. At the same time, if the risk is zero or minimal, well there's no point in biting off my nose to spite my face.
    Cheers.

I do it every day for the last couple of years. Just had one issue when a couple of kids tried to stop me and I stayed going and one of them spat at me (was between Phisborough and Drumcondra which is a busy section). No other issues but I cycle during normal commute times. I don't think I'd travel late at night on parts of it.

Thanks PhoenixParker and JonnyBravo for taking the time to reply.

Well, it would seem no more risky than many other routes. Sure I even encountered a problem at a junction in town, as I sat waiting for a red light to turn green. Once in 15 years wasn't bad, although I tended to avoid certain short-cuts to minimise risk.

I haven't done it in couple of years. Past a few auld fellas drinking that was all. Never had any hassle, but I didn't use the route that much.

But I would only do it in good light personally.

• Advertisement

I haven't done it in couple of years. Past a few auld fellas drinking that was all. Never had any hassle, but I didn't use the route that much.

But I would only do it in good light personally.

Thanks beauf. After dark might be a consideration come winter, depending on what is eventually decided about the clocksðŸ˜.
    Cheers.

Advertisement