Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Japanese Sake Guru's here?

Options
  • 26-02-2019 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I received a 300ml bottle of Sake as a gift from a close friend who travelled to Japan a couple of years ago which I've been waiting to drink with him next time he visits.

We are going for dinner to a BYOB Japanese restaurant on Sunday (my choice which I thought was fitting) and I'm bringing the Sake to have there but have no idea what type of Sake it is and whether it should be served chilled, room temp or warmed up.

Is there a Sake guru here who can shed some light?

IMG201902261658261551200707.jpg

IMG201902261659261551200719.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

sake is served tepid,
    look at this chart and despair.

https://www.tengusake.com/enjoying-sake/sake-and-temperature/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not a guru but did live in Japan for a number of years.

Sake is usually served slightly chilled, or even at room temperature.

In winter it is served heated, but this will always be cheap stuff. The good stuff will never be wasted by heating it.

Anything given to you as a gift should never be heated up either, no matter how cheap it is (at least not while the giver is present!)

That particular sake is made at Matsui Brewery in Kyoto, which is a very old and famous brewery. It's called Kinkakusanzen, and is linked to the famous Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto. I'd guess it was bought there at a tourist stall. It says on the bottle it is 14% alcohol, and a 700ml bottle would set you back around 12-13euro.

EDIT: Too late now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

osarusan wrote: »
    Not a guru but did live in Japan for a number of years.

Sake is usually served slightly chilled, or even at room temperature.

In winter it is served heated, but this will always be cheap stuff. The good stuff will never be wasted by heating it.

Anything given to you as a gift should never be heated up either, no matter how cheap it is (at least not while the giver is present!)

That particular sake is made at Matsui Brewery in Kyoto, which is a very old and famous brewery. It's called Kinkakusanzen, and is linked to the famous Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto. I'd guess it was bought there at a tourist stall. It says on the bottle it is 14% alcohol, and a 700ml bottle would set you back around 12-13euro.

EDIT: Too late now anyway.

Thanks very much. We had a very nice meal and drank the bottle at room temperature. It was smooth but not strong so very easy to drink. Just as well it was only a 300ml bottle!!

Advertisement