Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On-call work - Irish/EU law

Options
  • 26-02-2019 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I work for a large multinational IT company, when I started with them about 4 years ago there used to be 6 members (including myself) in the team and where they did on-call for a whole week (24x7) in a rotation.

On-call for us entails, if any customers has issues, you log on remotely and fix it, can be a quick 5 minute job or few hours.. Also some weeks you can have multiple call outs over number of days, while other times you can get nothing for a whole week.

Over the years people have left and have not been replaced. Another person will be leaving next month and most likely not be replaced, this brings us down to about 3 members in the team. This means I am on-call once every 3 weeks (24x7).

What are the regulation/legality relating to this in Irish/EU law ?

The other team members are all based in the US. We do get paid, but it is peanuts and honestly would rather have the evenings and weekends to myself rather than being stuck at home or carrying the laptop with me everywhere I go. Also if I need to take time off, you typically need to work around your rota or get someone to swap with you..

Advertisement