Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behavior during the day

Options
  • 26-02-2019 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I work in the health service in a community based role calling to clients in their own home.

The area I cover is made up of north county Dublin, not going to give exact location due to confidentiality etc.

However the last few weeks I’ve been unable to call to some of my clients, mainly due to antisocial behavior.

From young teenagers speeding up and down on main roads and housing estate mainly on footpaths on dirt bikes to stolen cars.

Appears to have got a whole lot worse since Christmas, all seem to have these. Last week I was bringing equipment to a client that was dying and needed it and they knocked all the stuff out of my hand and broke some it, which was expensive equipment I can’t get again

I’ve reported it to the Gardaí non stop, and up until today I was going into these areas but today I just had to totally stop for safety reasons. Two houses I was calling to a stolen car was going up and down outside their house for over an hour. I had to phone the client to inform them I can’t park outside and set up the equipment. Again I phones the Gardaí and they said they will send a car around ASAP. I parked in the church around the corner and waited and they never came.

Just think parts of Dublin- ireland in general has the tag of lawless and anything goes, and from what I’m getting from the Gardaí they are not resourced or prepared to tackle this.

Why annoyed me the most, 4 hours later on my way home from work at 6 o clock Gardaí we’re checking tax and insurance outside my office! I don’t get that.

Basically I am unable to do my job, assist very sick and vulnerable (mainly older adults, palliative clients) isn’t their own home.

I’m just venting now but I just feel very annoyed, as it’s a daily occurrence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The thing is nobody of influence or power will listen or take on board what the OP is saying.

It will take law reform, stricter policing and arduous constant effort towards bringing these places back into line. This process is boring and not good material for a Twitter campaign, a bleeding heart news piece or a suitably 'concerned' politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

I work in a north Dublin disadvantaged area which has undergone a 1 billion euro regeneration project over the last 10/15 years or so. Large swathes of the area are still no go zones and anti social behaviour is as bad as it ever was before the regeneration. This isn't my opinion, but the opinion of th3 local people I work with who have lived in the area for over 30 years.

I feel so sorry for the good people who are stuck living in these areas.

It's a truly depressing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Well according to the middle and upper classes, there are no no-go areas in Dublin or any other cities, coz they don't live there! This issue has been going on for since the 70's and passed onto the each generation since then, these teenagers causing problems do end up graduating into serious crime. But the authorities won't listen, the judges do not live in those areas to see the reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

klaaaz wrote: »
    Well according to the middle and upper classes, there are no no-go areas in Dublin or any other cities, coz they don't live there! This issue has been going on for since the 70's and passed onto the each generation since then, these teenagers causing problems do end up graduating into serious crime. But the authorities won't listen, the judges do not live in those areas to see the reality.

Yeh, I remember someone denying that on here.

By abdicating responsibility here the State has allowed the weak, old and vulnerable to suffer the most. The Gardai are a shell of what they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I do not understand the motorbikes in the parks, on footpaths, weaving in and out of the traffic often no helmets, it's so dangerous and the Garda do nothing, if teenagers and children were doing this in a middle-class estate there would be an uproar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭wobatkicker23

I am sorry OP but are you the slight, retiring type? I would march into those estates and demand respect.

I'd advise you to man up. Bring some form of weapon the next time. Not to use, just to threaten. ( knife etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I am sorry OP but are you the slight, retiring type? I would march into those estates and demand respect.

I'd advise you to man up. Bring some form of weapon the next time. Not to use, just to threaten. ( knife etc.)

1/10, must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We don't have a proper, organised, resourced police force.

We don't have a functioning justice system either.

It's amazing the situation is not even worse tbh but with the population growing and the failure to address policing and justice issues this will only get worse.

Remember it only took a few centimeters of snow to bring absolute anarchy to parts of Tallaght this time last year. Gardaí could do nothing.

That's the difference between peace/security and mayhem/anarchy in Ireland. It's a very thin line at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op it's up to who you work for to make sure you are safe in your role.

You need to make union aware if you have one, your manager and director etc etc.

You need to contact TDs and I would also suggest contacting 98fm talks, Niall Boylan, talk to Joe on rte etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Your Face wrote: »
    The thing is nobody of influence or power will listen or take on board what the OP is saying.

It will take law reform, stricter policing and arduous constant effort towards bringing these places back into line. This process is boring and not good material for a Twitter campaign, a bleeding heart news piece or a suitably 'concerned' politician.

What the OP is describing is already against the law.

More laws is a knee-jerk reaction by politicians allowing them to pretend they are doing something.

What we need is proper enforcement of the laws we already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Have you any credible evidence the middle and upper classes have said there is no no-go areas in Dublin?

You really talk some absolute dribble.

It’s the gubberment fault these people can’t live within the rule of law and be nice people.

It’s Leos fault according to people like you.

No wonder Dublin is turning onto a kip.

It’s always someone else’s fault apart from the individual themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quandary wrote: »
    I work in a north Dublin disadvantaged area which has undergone a 1 billion euro regeneration project over the last 10/15 years or so. Large swathes of the area are still no go zones and anti social behaviour is as bad as it ever was before the regeneration. This isn't my opinion, but the opinion of th3 local people I work with who have lived in the area for over 30 years.

I feel so sorry for the good people who are stuck living in these areas.

It's a truly depressing situation.

As someone living in Ballymun told me during the time of the "regeneration" -

"you can change the buildings but you won't change the people in them..." Evidently thought it was a complete waste of money and effort.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's the consequence of unlimited free dole for layabouts.
    The far left love this cycle of poverty, crime and misery.

As someone living in Ballymun told me during the time of the "regeneration" -

"you can change the buildings but you won't change the people in them..."

Sad but true.

Ahhhh but their the most vulnerable in society.

**** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

We don't have a proper, organised, resourced police force.

We don't have a functioning justice system either.

Both are true but it's not just that.

In any society you have to set the cursor somewhere to balance between individual freedom and social cohesion - you can't have 100% of both and if you chose to get more of one you usually get less of the other. All Western societies have gone full steam towards individual freedom in the past 50 years (Ireland was a bit late at this game alright) and this type of situation is a result of that choice.

Not that it makes things better but Dublin is far from the worst example and this type of issues (and more) exist in many Western/European countries. From France through Belgium to Sweden there are areas where it's gotten to a point whereby the fire brigade or heath emergency services can't go into some areas to do there job and save people from imminent death without heavy police protection (which is truly crazy: the are people who will attack them even though they know the consequence is that people who might be in a life threatening situation won't get the assistance they need).

Have you any credible evidence the middle and upper classes have said there is no no-go areas in Dublin?

You really talk some absolute dribble.

It’s the gubberment fault these people can’t live within the rule of law and be nice people.

It’s Leos fault according to people like you.

No wonder Dublin is turning onto a kip.

It’s always someone else’s fault apart from the individual themselves....

How is life in your ivory tower in Killiney or is it Castleknock Leo?

Well, FFG have been in power for many decades and yet our society is churning out endless feral lawless individuals for life.

How is life in your ivory tower in Killiney or is it Castleknock Leo?

Well, FFG have been in power for many decades and yet our society is churning out endless feral lawless individuals for life.

Good one.

How is it Leo Varadkars fault of some low life who is 50 is committing crime and in jail when Leo is 40 years old?

Always someone else’s fault apart from the actual individual ay??

Absolutely pathetic.

Good one.

How is it Leo Varadkars fault of some low life who is 50 is committed crime and in jail when Leo is 40 years old?

Always someone else’s fault apart from the actual individual ay??

Absolutely pathetic.

Eh, there are thousands of "lowlife's" across the country creating terror on a daily basis. Just look here in this thread, a person cannot even do their job due to the lack of a security from the FFG government. FFG don't care as they like the judges do not live in the areas affected by high crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Your employer needs to put you working in a team or provide security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bigpink wrote: »
    Your employer needs to put you working in a team or provide security

True but sad and very short term solution: if it is a private company it might sadly mean charging more to people in less well off areas because the cost of getting to them is much higher due to security requirements*. No-one deserves to be charged more because thugs are preventing access to their house though and while I understand at their own level it might be all the employer can do, a functioning society would never let that happen and fix the root cause before it reaches a point whereby an employer has to take the matter in its own hands.

* (and if it is a public service it is more spending for taxpayers which would be better used putting more guards on those streets and doing whatever it takes to get those thugs off the streets rather than protecting people from them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

That might be a bit difficult as I work for the HSE I’m sure that would go down well!

Eh, there are thousands of "lowlife's" across the country creating terror on a daily basis. Just look here in this thread, a person cannot even do their job due to the lack of a security from the FFG government. FFG don't care as they like the judges do not live in the areas affected by high crime.

Always someone else’s fault.

Grow up.

Always someone else’s fault.

Grow up.

Such a "grown up" response. When will your FFG government provide security to our workers to work without the threat of violence in no-go areas?

Such a "grown up" response. When will your FFG government provide security to our workers to work without the threat of violence in no-go areas?

Ah here good luck.

Ah here good luck.

Appropriate response just like what the FFG government doesn't care about workers working under stressful circumstances in high crime areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

mariaalice wrote: »
    if teenagers and children were doing this in a middle-class estate there would be an uproar.

They aren't though are they?
    The reason there's no uproar is because this behaviour has become so commonplace and tolerated in these areas that it's not even distinctive enough to warrant a news story.

What about the casual acceptance of the parents of these children that this behaviour is okay?
    Are they not even to be held marginally responsible for their children acting like this or is that also the government's fault?

They aren't though are they?
    The reason there's no uproar is because this behaviour has become so commonplace and tolerated in these areas that it's not even distinctive enough to warrant a news story.

What about the casual acceptance of the parents of these children that this behaviour is okay?
    Are they not even to be held marginally responsible for their children acting like this or is that also the government's fault?

Nope it’s the gubbermentdsfault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Guards probably don’t bother in most of those areas. It’s their job, but...they probably think what’s the point in going into a hostile situation like that unarmed and likely to get attacked, make and arrest and get the lads in front of the courts and some wanker of a judge falls for the usual sob story and let’s them on their merry way to terrorise the community once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

You'd have to report this to your managers and a meeting probably needs to be had between them and the Garda super in charge of overall policing in the area, as obviously this cannot go on indefinitely. You have rights as an employee of the HSE to be safe in your work.

Grew up in Tallaght in the 90's and everyone from the council, TD's and Gardai completely washed their hands of the area, and left decent folk to fend for themselves against similar crap that you describe. Only time you'd see a sustained visible Garda presence was around election time. Leads to the decent people who can, leaving the area completely, which turns it into a self fulfilling prophecy of awfulness.

Advertisement