Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Momo Challenge - scaremongering or a real danger?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the school playground this morning, there were little huddles of kids all talking in whispers about momo and how they seen it last night or got a call from momo.
    Even my own daughter was saying she got a call from momo, and he had a gadget free day yesterday.
    Even though a hoax, it's having an impact on kids.

Is this post a hoax as well.
    First off, I have never known a parent to go to a huddle of children in a school playgorund and listen to what they are talking about. In fact, I have never seen a huddle of children!

Then you say your own daughter.....followed by 'he'. Is your child gender fluid?

Even though its a hoax, its having an effect on you pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Because of the likes of yourself falling for it and spreading fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=12740787

"Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Momoballine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"Full time mammys" and "full time mad bastards all seem to have attended "the school of hard knocks". I doubt it sends many people to college, or even to Leaving Cert level to be honest.

I've seen a few that seem to attend collage, though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this post a hoax as well.
    First off, I have never known a parent to go to a huddle of children in a school playgorund and listen to what they are talking about. In fact, I have never seen a huddle of children!

Then you say your own daughter.....followed by 'he'. Is your child gender fluid?

Even though its a hoax, its having an effect on you pal.

Choose to believe what you want to believe, I have just regaled me experience from this morning.

What if my child was gender fluid?

Because of the likes of yourself falling for it and spreading fear

I've not fallen for anything, my concern is how this impact kids...we all know that adults are f*cking tools when using the internet and smart phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

In the school playground this morning, there were little huddles of kids all talking in whispers about momo and how they seen it last night or got a call from momo.
    Even my own daughter was saying she got a call from momo, and he had a gadget free day yesterday.

They saw it because it was on the feçkin' RTE news on Monday. It's having an impact on kids because of all the absolute fools who have shared this about in 'concern' and made it go viral. My 6 year old saw it on the news and the report would definitely have scared him if I hadn't already demystified it for him.

Boom_Bap wrote:
    What if my child was gender fluid?

He was pointing out inconsistencies in your post. Even if you had a "gender fluid" child it would be unusual to refer to them as a daughter and then a he.

Stop looking to be offended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well surprise surprise, it's a hoax. Nobody saw that coming!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He was pointing out inconsistencies in your post. Even if you had a "gender fluid" child it would be unusual to refer to them as a daughter and then a he.

Stop looking to be offended.

The poster is trying to dissect my post to find flaws for some sort of internet one-up-man-ship and just found a typo.

I was not being offended, my comment is to point out how idiotic the post was if that is all they take from what I've written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I was not being offended, my comment is to point out how idiotic the post was if that is all they take from what I've written.

You thought that was idiotic, check this out.

Momo
    Momo Momo
    Momo Momo
    Momo there's no limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

If kids are seeing it then it's the parents showing them it. It's sad people are running around saying my kids seen it but none of them can post a link to the video it featured in. The things people will say to get attention.

You thought that was idiotic, check this out.

Momo
    Momo Momo
    Momo Momo
    Momo there's no limits

That offends me and the entire 2Unlimited Irish Fan Club.

Boom_Bap wrote:

Apologies. I must have read it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=12740787

That just looks like Violet from The Incredibles.

Anyway, I for one am basking in the intergalactic creamy smugness of being able to say "Told you" to all the idiots who were adamant that this was actually real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s more likely to be a social media challenge on how many people you can whip up into an absolute frenzy on the basis of absolutely no proof whatsoever

• Advertisement

The poster is trying to dissect my post to find flaws for some sort of internet one-up-man-ship and just found a typo.

So could you please describe exactly what happened that morning?
    I want to get a jist of the sequence of events, because when I drop my kids off at school , if I was to follow them in and get in the middle of a huddle then I would get some very strange looks and probably asked by a teacher what I was doing.

so could you lay out the chain of events for us as to how it all came to pass?

Serious question btw

So could you please describe exactly what happened that morning?
    I want to get a jist of the sequence of events, because when I drop my kids off at school , if I was to follow them in and get in the middle of a huddle then I would get some very strange looks and probably asked by a teacher what I was doing.

so could you lay out the chain of events for us as to how it all came to pass?

Serious question btw

Well firstly, I never said I got into the middle of a huddle with kids. You are trying to invent some sort of scenario from my briefest of descriptions and use those minimal amount of words to create a new scenario in your own head and how it applies to you and how you drop your kids off at school.

Each schoolyard and drop off I imagine are different, I can only speak from my own experience.
    And the notion that " I would get some very strange looks and probably asked by a teacher what I was doing." is a bullsh*t tactic by yourself to discredit my experience further by alluding to that I'm some sort of schoolyard creep.

So yeah, I'm not going to address your serious question because you will probably try to pick apart my words rather than accept that I observed something this morning.
    I've been on the internet a while now and am fully aware of the MO of some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well firstly, I never said I got into the middle of a huddle with kids. You are trying to invent some sort of scenario from my briefest of descriptions and use those minimal amount of words to create a new scenario in your own head and how it applies to you and how you drop your kids off at school.

Each schoolyard and drop off I imagine are different, I can only speak from my own experience.
    And the notion that " I would get some very strange looks and probably asked by a teacher what I was doing." is a bullsh*t tactic by yourself to discredit my experience further by alluding to that I'm some sort of schoolyard creep.

So yeah, I'm not going to address your serious question because you will probably try to pick apart my words rather than accept that I observed something this morning.
    I've been on the internet a while now and am fully aware of the MO of some people.

So it definitely, absolutely, 100% really happened to your son/daughter/gender fluid offspring, but you just aren't gonna tell us how. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Children huddling, whispering to each other about Momo in hurried conspiratorial whispers. What next, they're gonna mount a challenge against the monster in the city sewers? I mean, really. :rolleyes:

So it definitely, absolutely, 100% really happened to your son/daughter/gender fluid offspring, but you just aren't gonna tell us how. :D:D:D:D:D:D
    I'm too busy being questioned by the school at the moment for huddling with kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Anyone know if there is a rubber mask available.
    Just where it to piss people off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

upinsmoke wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a rubber mask available.
    Just where it to piss people off

Produce them now yourself and sell them in bulk. Momo could be a big one this Hallowe'en.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Children huddling, whispering to each other about Momo in hurried conspiratorial whispers. What next, they're gonna mount a challenge against the monster in the city sewers? I mean, really. :rolleyes:

Kids are talking about it. It's out there now because adults are passing nonsense about it around. Once a few kids have seen it, they'll chat to each other about it. I take a classmate of my son's to school everyday and they talked about it. Though my son explained that it's a Japanese motherbird, from one of their legends, just like the Yokai. And some silly people might be sending pictures of a figure of it to scare people as a joke. He's planning to make a motherbird with his Lego tonight. And has asked if at the weekend, I'll help him make a stop motion movie about it scaring people and his Lego Mystery Inc investigating and find out who's behind the mask.

Kids are fascinated by pop culture of any kind and something that's gone viral like this now has will get in their heads. But you can control how they perceive it if you don't get let yourself, and your kids by proxy, get swept up in the hysteria.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

offtopic but it's yet another thing the simpsons predicted..
    https://youtu.be/za4BKMMdrXA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Im so confused. We're getting notes from the school warning us if the dangers of momo.

So she's never popped up in the middle of you tube video?

You can only find momo by downloading the game?

Once you download the game, she tells you to do all sorts?

Or is it all a hoax?

Im so confused. We're getting notes from the school warning us if the dangers of momo.

Or is it all a hoax?

It's all a hoax. There is no game, there is no app, there are no hacked YouTube videos.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/viral-momo-challenge-is-a-malicious-hoax-say-charities-1.3809573

Or is it all a hoax?

It's a made up hoax that is now going to become real because of the media

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's all a hoax. There is no game, there is no app, there are no hacked YouTube videos.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/viral-momo-challenge-is-a-malicious-hoax-say-charities-1.3809573

I can only read the first paragraph.

That is MENTAL! It's like Gabbo from the simpsons...i cant believe this was a hoax!

I heard about it last week, but though nothing of it. Then a kid in the class said it to my kid. Said the mother had shown him a picture! :eek: And it pops up in videos. I just told the youngest to stay off you tube till we found out more. I honestly believed some one was hacking into you tube videos and creeping out young kids. :o

It is brilliant though...no one would have seen it until the parents showed it to their kids :pac: How quickly can something go viral! Like some one said....get the merchandise out! Masks...dolls...Halloween will be here in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a great case study on why 99% of warnings posted on Facebook are absolute bull. From vans driving around suspiciously to "dangerous new games". You can be guaranteed that unless it's been shared by an official channel, then it's someone taking the piss and seeing how many numpties they can get to blindly share it.

Yeah, my only MO here is to call out exaggerated posts, thats all.

Your initial post away back stated:

I would assume you would have had to be in close proximity of such huddles to hear what they are talking about. That's all.

• Advertisement

But then how come one poster here said that a friends 6yr old child was told by Momo to kill his younger sister?

I know and you know its a hoax and a lot of cr@p, but there will still be some who exaggerate or indeed even invent stories and plaster them on FB to try to get their so-called friends to comment or like.

seamus wrote: »
    This is a great case study on why 99% of warnings posted on Facebook are absolute bull. From vans driving around suspiciously to "dangerous new games". You can be guaranteed that unless it's been shared by an official channel, then it's someone taking the piss and seeing how many numpties they can get to blindly share it.

What would constitute an official channel.

It has been on reputable news channels, websites and childrens charity websites.

All of them adding to a hoax that was tiny to begin with until numpties on FB starting spreading stories that were made up initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair Boom_Bap, you've been called out on being an unwitting parrot of this nonsense. You saw kids standing around in groups before school, like they do every day, and projected this idea that they must be whispering about momo.

Even though they clearly hadn't, and you didn't hear any huddles of kids whispering about momo. You just thought you did.

You got played, sucked into the hysteria, and then you came on here and claimed it was the God's honest truth. Own it.
    What would constitute an official channel.

It has been on reputable news channels, websites and childrens charity websites.
    Garda or state agency. Even then you're not guaranteed that it's real but at the very least they're slower to react and will do some research, or tone down the language. If it's a really serious warning but not on any official channel, then it's nonsense.

Ive no doubt kids are talking about it, but it’s all because their parents are warning them of this big scary momo man who’s infiltrating devices trying to scare kids. I’ve also no doubt there are some kids talking absolute arse saying they’ve communicated with it and been sent messages. Kids are also confused stating that “they’ve seen momo”, sure we’ve all seen it, the image is everywhere.
    It’s good that parents are being vigilant and warning their kids about the potential dangers but the flip side of that has created unnecessary panic and hysteria.

Back in my day it was “the world is going to end today at six o clock”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its a hoax that has caused kids alot of unnecessary worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ive no doubt kids are talking about it, but it’s all because their parents are warning them of this big scary momo man who’s infiltrating devices trying to scare kids. I’ve also no doubt there are some kids talking absolute arse saying they’ve communicated with it and been sent messages. Kids are also confused stating that “they’ve seen momo”, sure we’ve all seen it, the image is everywhere.
    It’s good that parents are being vigilant and warning their kids about the potential dangers but the flip side of that has created unnecessary panic and hysteria.

Have a junior infant child just home from school . The teacher has informed the parents that one junior infant child had told the others about momo . It's spreading despite us never once mentioning it to her .

This whole thing is terrifying as a social experiment. And fairly morbid as a hoax.

Yeah, my only MO here is to call out exaggerated posts, thats all.

I would assume you would have had to be in close proximity of such huddles to hear what they are talking about. That's all.

And I was in close proximity and involved in discussion with the kids.

To be fair Boom_Bap, you've been called out on being an unwitting parrot of this nonsense. You saw kids standing around in groups before school, like they do every day, and projected this idea that they must be whispering about momo.

Even though they clearly hadn't, and you didn't hear any huddles of kids whispering about momo. You just thought you did.

You got played, sucked into the hysteria, and then you came on here and claimed it was the God's honest truth. Own it.

Garda or state agency. Even then you're not guaranteed that it's real but at the very least they're slower to react and will do some research, or tone down the language. If it's a really serious warning but not on any official channel, then it's nonsense.

I did not project anything or get sucked into anything and I would be the first person to take ownership of that, I actually heard them and I talked to some of the groups of kids about it, including the groups that my own children where in talking about it. One kids even told me about how her father told her it was a fat man in a chair on the internet that made this up.

Kids are not so subtle when they are talking.

And before the comments of bullsh*t why would you talk to other groups of kids creep in, I am an active member of alot of activities in the school, am in regular discussion with parents, teacher and the principal. #notacreep

I'm also garda vetted if that helps anyone with their questioning of my character.

So I have been called out on nothing seamus, nothing. The only thing that has been established here is that there are plenty of people on the internet that will do whatever they can to dispute what someone has experienced to suit their agenda.

So seamus, I shall call you out on jumping on said bandwagon of being one of those people.

There is no gain whatsoever for me to make up a story about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Their steering wheels are nice enough, but outrageously expensive.

Why do people think it’s so strange that a parent would approach a huddle of whispering kids that involved their child and ask what they’re talking about?

Or is it all a hoax?

Schools are sending warnings about Momo? How do you know its not Momo sending messages to throw parents off the scent?

Seriously though you would imagine schools would do a bit more checking before perpetuating a myth. Next they'll be warning parents about Cake.
    What is cake? Well, it has an active ingredient which is a dangerous psychoactive compound known as "dimesmeric andersonphospate". It stimulates the part of the brain called "Shatner's bassoon", and that's the bit of the brain that deals with time perception. So a second feels like a month. Well, it almost sounds like fun, unless you're the Prague schoolboy who walked out into the street, straight in front of a tram. He thought he'd got a month to cross the street...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There absolutely are apps that have something to do with it, but they all seem to be created as reactions to the meme IMO.

jrww3r.jpg

It's important to not get too carried away when calling out bollocks!

TheChizler wrote: »
    There are absolutely apps that have something to do with it, but they all seem to be created as reactions to the meme IMO.

Ok, there was no app. The point stands that the hysterical warnings were warning against something that didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ok, there was no app. The point stands that the hysterical warnings were warning against something that didn't exist.
    Absolutely, the implication seems to be that the app just appeared on their phone or some sort of impossible 'hacking' was going on.

• Advertisement

What would constitute an official channel
    Garda or state agency. Even then you're not guaranteed that it's real but at the very least they're slower to react and will do some research, or tone down the language.

Even the Gardai got sucked into this one. It's actually a really interesting example of how something can gain such critical mass that even the likes of the Gardai get sucked into issuing warnings on a completely spurious threat.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0225/1032708-momo-challenge/

National broadcaster and police forces from two jurisdictions. Hard to completely blame people for falling for this one but shows the absolute state of the people who should have their finger on the pulse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

TheChizler wrote: »
    There absolutely are apps that have something to do with it, but they all seem to be created as reactions to the meme IMO.

jrww3r.jpg

It's important to not get too carried away when calling out bollocks!

Oh you mean the apps that have popped up on google play since this got out?:rolleyes:

None on the Apple App Store ;)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Even the Gardai got sucked into this one. It's actually a really interesting example of how something can gain such critical mass that even the likes of the Gardai get sucked into issuing warnings on a completely spurious threat.

I just got a text from the school. Apparently some of the younger children were quite upset about it and it reminds us to check that children are not accessing social media and that they are not passing on unsuitable content to younger children.

I think my lad will be ok. While I didn't mention the word momo I did say it was a fake scary lady so he will probably make the connection and hopefully I'll avoid nightmare duty the next few nights.

Totes awky momo!

• Advertisement
Advertisement