Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel kills

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Look at who did the study and what they found in the past. Looking at who does and pays for the study can tell what the motivations for the study are.

I'd rather read the study and their modelling methods for the numbers rather than a news article before running to either defend it or grabbing the pitch fork. But the numbers reported seem rather high, almost alarming (headline grabbing maybe) high. Thus I'm wondering about the stats involved.

Oh, as an aside, why does nobody get worries about dihydrogen monoxide? It's the major component of acid rain! See how facts can be played around with to grab headlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What's going to happen when most people live to 120.Surely a slice of ham supposedly being worse than smoking was a factor in those deaths also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Bollox. rollin coal 4 life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cigarettes are fine again so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

i do wonder how long it will be until we have legal action against the car manufacturers the same way people had against the tobacco industry.. there's a lot of parallels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wonder what next year's outrage will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Seems to be primarily focused on fine particulates and ground-level ozone. Seems reasonable, that stuff is dangerous. The good news is that as manufacturers turbo the living shit out of small petrol engines and deploy more and more GDI in the quest for ever more efficiency, they'll produce as much of this stuff as diesels ever did and maybe more. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Seems to be primarily focused on fine particulates and ground-level ozone. Seems reasonable, that stuff is dangerous. The good news is that as manufacturers turbo the living shit out of small petrol engines and deploy more and more GDI in the quest for ever more efficiency, they'll produce as much of this stuff as diesels ever did and maybe more. :D

It appears that the (direct injection) petrol engine DPFs don't suffer from the issues diesel DPFs as it's easier to burn off the unburnt petrol particles in DPF. It's the same reason why petrol engines stay cleaner internally compared to their diesel cousins.

Some direct injection turbo petrols have shockingly bad pm 2.5 emissions at cold start and full load.

samih wrote: »
    It appears that the (direct injection) petrol engine DPFs don't suffer from the issues diesel DPFs as it's easier to burn off the unburnt petrol particles in DPF. It's the same reason why petrol engines stay cleaner internally compared to their diesel cousins.

Right.
    Some direct injection turbo petrols have shockingly bad pm 2.5 emissions at cold start and full load.

Yes, I believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

PPFs are located right next to the manifold, so they don't have the issues diesels used to suffer from if they're not driven out of town often enough, etc. To be fair DPF problems are far less frequent than they used to be, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Plus you have problems with GDI engines with the cylinder intake valves getting coated in carbon and causing issues at quite low mileages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Devil juice..... Heading needs to be changed to devil juice..,...

Nox emissions are probably the worst for cause of premature death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

So, diesel accounted for 47% of the premature deaths attributed to vehicle exhaust emissions.

Ergo, Diesel is less halmful than other fuels used for the propulsion of vehicles.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Can you advise which petrol engines have Diesel Particle Filters?

jim salter wrote: »

At an educated guess I'd say he knows full well. And it's particulate, not particle.

jimgoose wrote: »
    At an educated guess I'd say he knows full well. And it's particulate, not particle.

Yeah, it was a brain fart from me. I hope it wasn't too traumatic experience for you Mr Salter.

So which petrols actually have GPFs (or whatever the official name is) and wonder when will they actually became mandatory. Some early research at least claims the unburnt particles from petrol are even smaller than the diesel equivalent and so travel further in the body.

Yeah, it was a brain fart from me. I hope it wasn't too traumatic experience for you Mr Salter.

So which petrols actually have GPFs (or whatever the official name is) and wonder when will they actually became mandatory. Some early research at least claims the unburnt particles from petrol are even smaller than the diesel equivalent and so travel further in the body.

Ford, Volkswagen and Hyundai have been at it for a while, anyway. I don't know what the plan is regarding making GPFs mandatory, but word on the street is that they're necessary to keep petrol cars Euro-6 compliant in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

jim salter wrote: »

I'll give you half a point for Particle, so:

Jim Salter: 0.5
    The Internet: 0

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

I'll give you half a point for Particle, so:

Jim Salter: 0.5
    The Internet: 0

:D

Jaysus, that's being kind...in my defence, Android auto correct made particulate become particle so I will blame technology ...

It's kinda like the Audi owners who own the diesel RS4's - great cars they are :D

Advertisement