Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor install by [SNIP] or am I being harsh?

• 27-02-2019 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I had the glass replaced in my porch - probably 50 years old - by [snip] this week. I discussed the install with the installer when he came out to do final measurements and he did flag that they may have to mitre out more wood to fit the glass in and that they would be doing this from the inside rather than outside.

All that made sense and I understood.

Day of the install he called me out to say that they had to mitre out even more than they originally thought but explained verbally their plan to put it back to normal as much as possible. Fine.

At the outset I should say I knew it wasn't going to look exactly how it was before they started - but I did believe that they were going to put it back into a position which was visually acceptable.

I've uploaded pictures to an album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oE6KLCrzU57DWYEY8
    IMO that's not even close to visually acceptable, it looks completely amateur and they did some damage to the original wood which they didn't tell me about (I noticed after they quickly left.

They also did some damage to paint near the work area but not involved in the window install and took a €2 size chunk out of the ceiling.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I don't think this is an acceptable install but am I wrong on this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That is a complete botch job, not acceptable at all

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have removed the name of the company in question.

No problem discussing the quality of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: I have removed the name of the company in question.

No problem discussing the quality of the job.
    Apologies, wasn't thinking at all when posting that but you're entirely correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

thats a bit rough. but a good painter will have that fixed in no time. .

the problem is that these companies price these jobs too low . they reuse the wood holding in the glass.

thats a bit rough. but a good painter will have that fixed in no time. .

the problem is that these companies price these jobs too low . they reuse the wood holding in the glass.
    I had my painter look at it and he wasn't impressed and quoted me a price to get it fixed up - he also thinks it will look well. I'm wondering if I should be looking for the company to pitch in on that given it is so poor in my view?

EDIT: another thing that I'm not sure a painter can just fix: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KcXC31PxokGquMPq6 all of those new vertical end bits (technical term I'm sure) are different sizes, so some are flush with the horizontal pieces, some aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

By any chance do you have pictures of what it looked like before hand?
    It would help to strengthen any case of you can show what part (or all) of the damage was caused by the installer

its a fiddly job but straight forward. 2 part filler will build up a lot of that.

the glazing ompany realy should have brought it to your attention that the slips were broken and asked did you want to replace them. breaking them isnt really their fault. the timber is very brittle.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    By any chance do you have pictures of what it looked like before hand?
    It would help to strengthen any case of you can show what part (or all) of the damage was caused by the installer
    I really regret not taking before pictures. I'm scouring through to see if I had any.

its a fiddly job but straight forward. 2 part filler will build up a lot of that.

the glazing ompany realy should have brought it to your attention that the slips were broken and asked did you want to replace them. breaking them isnt really their fault. the timber is very brittle.
    They were able to remove them without breaking them, asked me if I wanted to re-use them (in fact said to me the wood was very good quality and recommended re-using them) and then obviously broke them in the re-install and left without mentioning this.

GSRNBP wrote: »
    They were able to remove them without breaking them, asked me if I wanted to re-use them (in fact said to me the wood was very good quality and recommended re-using them) and then obviously broke them in the re-install and left without mentioning this.

no excuse then.
    ring them up and tell them to put now bars on

• Advertisement

Here's the best before pic I have: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WGixwV31fjMwx3Kh8

After from a similar angle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jfpY8hW8XxY4iiBS9

I've added a rough sketch of what the wood was like before. they didn't alter the outside.

Two questions I still have:

1) If the window surrounds can be repaired / filled / painted or if they should/need to be replaced;
    2) If mirroring the outside wood i.e. a solid horizontal piece of wood with angled top/bottom approx 1in. deep would solve the problem on the horizontal wood.

If the company would agree to do that work and I take on the paint/filling required - is that a fair compromise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The work on the horizontal transom ( if my word is correct) is especially savage
    The reason the slips have been butchered is that the deeper glazing made them too wide so they got hacked rather than trimmed down in a table saw.

The company name is evident from the first link: Have you sent these pictures to the MD?
    My guess is that you had a sub-contractor

I have found them v professional, when they were smaller :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

They have passed this up the chain to their wood manager who will arrange to come out and look at it and repair the work next week. They obviously didn't say that the work was bad, but they were very quick to come back and say they'd repair it. All-in-all positive experience dealing with them and I'll post updates. Thanks for all the help to everyone here.

Advertisement