Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicles blocking Cyclists passing

Options
  • 27-02-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Thought it would be good to have a thread highlighting blocking of cyclists. its not suitable for the near miss thread. I've noticed it happen a lot recently especially busses. I understand if a vehicle is turning left but for vehicles travelling forward it only hinders traffic. the 1st example here is not the best as it is a bit of a squeeze at this section and it needs to be addressed but here's the video to start the thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Eh... Only road users coming off bad in that video are cyclists.
    I'm a cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yeah, looks like the cyclist in front complains to the bus driver for being too far to the left and then brakes the red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

The bus is the exact width of the lane... what is he to do overhang the lane on the right to allow cyclists to go up the inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can't see the video, but yes, I have experienced cars deliberately blocking filtering, including mandatory cycle lanes!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Can't see the video, but yes, I have experienced cars deliberately blocking filtering, including mandatory cycle lanes!

It definitely happens, another bugbear of mine is motorists stopping in the ADL boxes. Pure ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

amcalester wrote: »
    Yeah, looks like the cyclist in front complains to the bus driver for being too far to the left and then brakes the red light.

He wasn't giving out to the bus, he was looking for his cycling companion.. who got left behind.

"The bus is the exact width of the lane."

actually there's a good 1.5 foot of space to the right.

as advised not the best example just wanted to get a thread going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Re-watched twice. The bus could not have positioned any differently. Can't see the 1.5 feet gap at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

amcalester wrote: »

Rule 1 don’t go up the inside of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The one that irritates me is when drivers behind a car waiting to turn right pull left, blocking the cycle lane, when there is no space to pass. They could just as easily have stayed where they were.

It's got to the point where, if I'm in the car turning right, I'll stop, wait until the following driver stops directly behind me and only then indicate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Haha whole lot of cyclists breaking a red light... Any way to get them fined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

There is nowhere near 1.5 feet on the right of the bus.

All I can see here is a bus taking up the entire lane and a load of cyclists breaking a red light.

"The bus is the exact width of the lane."

actually there's a good 1.5 foot of space to the right.

Stop the video at 10 seconds, as the cyclist is over taking. There are handful of inches between the bus and the dividing lane, where is the 1.5 foot coming from?

Even if he was as tight to the right as possible there wouldn't be enough space on the left to continue cycling.

* I do agree with the general sentiment that there are some twats who deliberately pull into the kerb on wide lanes to block cyclists coming up the inside, but I also come across others who'll attempt to re-align and create/leave space to allow bicycle flow when they are going nowhere.

The ones that roll up to a red light and continue until they block the bike boxes deserve to wrap themselves around a lamppost.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ted1 wrote: »

Yeah, some still do it. Hate that junction as a pedestrian personally. Some cyclists shuffle through but others come through that red at speed. On the video it seems a tad OTT by the cyclist and there are far worse examples. Double yellows on the inside anyway. TBH it's just a road user having to adjust because of what is in front of them. We all do that, it's part of being a road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

I cycle everyday in Dublin City, I cannot understand why cyclists feel they have an obligation to move up in front to the traffic lights - whats wrong with waiting behind the bus safely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Grassey wrote: »

... but I also come across others who'll attempt to re-align and create/leave space to allow bicycle flow when they are going nowhere.

Not looking for a medal, but I consciously try to do this, especially if I've passed a cyclist and then come to a stop shortly afterwards. They'll be on my mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a nuisance when it does happen (this is not an example what soever) even if there was space, going up the inside of that bus would've been risky at best, moronic at worst.

It barely requires a thread either. Buffalo & Doozerie thread covers this sort of thing.

And yeah, this video only makes cyclists look bad (or those cyclists)

ted1 wrote: »

Fair point, wasn't advocating that he should go up the inside just that it looked like he was complaining that he couldn't.

Op has since clarified that was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I cycle everyday in Dublin City, I cannot understand why cyclists feel they have an obligation to move up in front to the traffic lights - whats wrong with waiting behind the bus safely?

'cause they spew that smelly sh out the vent by the rear left wheel. Can be nice on a cold day mind you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I cycle a lot around the city, but I also drive a hell of a lot around it also.

It's dangerous for cyclists no doubt but so many bike users are very dangerous on the roads with little regards for other road users.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod-No such thing as road tax. Any more mention of such nonsense and the thread will be swiftly closed as it will derail into yet another back and forth thread of endless whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cyclists have a hard time on the roads no doubt from other road users. But instances where cyclists feel they should push up the inside of traffic to get to the front create their own dangers.
    I'm a motorcyclist, yes we filter - some cyclists & drivers don't like it. It's not illegal but should only be done safely. There are times when I don't bother filtering as its not worth it - get behind queueing traffic too late and know the lights will change soon enough or theres no room. It wont kill me to stay behind. But seeing cyclists squeeze between buses /vans is frightening. Cyclists are part of traffic too and should give way as well if they cant get by safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

When i am driving on the road i am not driving to accommodate cyclists the same as when i am cycling i dont expect others to accommodate me. I am trying my best to obey the rules of the road and drive as safely as possible to protect myself and others. If it is possible to create space safely i will do this. But i dont expect people to move over either just to accomodate me on my bike. Doing it deliberately is another thing. But there was nothing deliberate about this video. There was barely enough room for the bus never mind creating some imaginary space. As another user said what is the big deal about waiting behind the bus.

The light is red anyway. I also obey the lights in both my car and my bike.
    This video is proving nothing more than a good amount of cyclists couldn't care less about the rules of the road but will be the ones complaining if someone else does something stupid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nobody, regardless of vehicle type, has a god-given right to overtake. You overtake only when it is safe to do so. And there's only a limited set of circumstances when overtaking on the left is a good idea.

If in doubt, stay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I try if possible myself to get to the front. It can be not getting a chest full of black soot from the bus as it pulls off, but generally it is more about not being at the mercy of vehicles which turn or manoeuvre without indicating. And if a junction has a filter lane controlled by a separate light, and the lanes are narrow, the only safe space can be at the top of the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

I try if possible myself to get to the front. It can be not getting a chest full of black soot from the bus as it pulls off, but generally it is more about not being at the mercy of vehicles which turn or manoeuvre without indicating. And if a junction has a filter lane controlled by a separate light, and the lanes are narrow, the only safe space can be at the top of the traffic.

I agree but its the act of getting to the top of traffic which is unsafe - especially the aggressive filtering displayed in the video by a number of the cyclists, its not the Tour de France!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

The annoying thing is when motorists overtake cyclists and then pull in to leave no space on the left when they reach the inevitable traffic ahead.
    This is a daily occurance for me on the Malahide Road.

It's annoying but not illegal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The whole point, and is why there are official advanced stop lines, is because it is the safest position for the cyclist to be in.

It's just another thing that is done for safety by cyclists, but assumed to be done simply to slow "me" down by many motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

What bothers me is waiting behind a bus instead of passing through the narrow gap on the left....only to find other cyclists tut tutting from behind and mounting the pavement to pass instead.

Happens regularly on the North Quays during morning rush hour, outside the 4 courts.

the aggressive filtering displayed in the video by a number of the cyclists, its not the Tour de France!

I don't think I've ever seen aggressive filtering in TDF :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Typical cyclist attitude, moan about drivers but ignore the 5 cyclists breaking the red light.

Advertisement