Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicles blocking Cyclists passing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd wager a few ahead of him broke the lights and the red was too stale by the time he got to where he is.
    If only there was some way that the driver could have known in advance that the green light was likely to go amber, and then red.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness, you can get caught in a junction - I was nearly caught last week when the car in front decided to stop in the junction to let cars out of a side road (that had a flashing amber) - if they'd just driven on, and respected who had right of way, there would've been no issue. I'm pretty militant about driver behaviour these days, but still sometimes you see the symptom not the cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If only there was some way that the driver could have known in advance that the green light was likely to go amber, and then red.

Yeah, maybe if they put in a 4th light, maybe a greeney amber or an ambery green, that might do the trick.
    Although thinking about it, they might have to put in a 5th light between amber and red. An ambery red one or a redy amber one.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe if they put in a 4th light, maybe a greeney amber or an ambery green, that might do the trick.
    Although thinking about it, they might have to put in a 5th light between amber and red. An ambery red one or a redy amber one.

The first 5 seconds of a red light is a different colour. After that it’s red red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

flatface wrote: »
    The first 5 seconds of a red light is a different colour. After that it’s red red.

Whatddya mean I broke the lights? Sure it was only red, it wasn't red red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This genius made me think of this thread on the cycle home yesterday evening. They're stopped at the red light. :D
    Not sure if serious or sarcasm :pac:

Looks like they were in traffic going through the junction and stopped short of the yellow box to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see the op Greentree has sheepishly removed the video that started the thread off.

Put back in his box....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I see the op Greentree has sheepishly removed the video that started the thread off.

Put back in his box....

Rightly, as the bus was in the OP video :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Grassey wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen aggressive filtering in TDF :confused:

Have a look at OPs video - the cyclist cuts off the car behind the Bulmer's van when overtaking the bus, just to get to the top of the queue which probably saved them 5 seconds at most instead of simply staying behind the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'm not sure if this is what the OP had in mind, but I get really narked when I see vehicles blocking cyclists or pedestrians at junctions like those along the Grand Canal cycle track. I'd bet a fiver these drivers don't block car junctions like this, but they don't seem to give a second thought to blocking cyclists or pedestrians, sometimes very large numbers of cyclists and pedestrians, maybe 50+ people crossing from each side at Leeson St bridge at rush hour.

474195.jpg
    474197.jpg

I use that crossing every day on the bike and it has a huge volume of bike and pedestrian traffic. It’s always blocked like that. Inevitably there’s going to be a serious incident there as cars often run the red as they are focussed on racing to the Adelaide road lights just a few metres beyond.

As an aside the canal lock at that spot is a tight squeeze for pedestrians and cyclists. A lot of cyclists are an embarrassment how disrespectful they are towards the pedestrians there. It’s not the end on the world to put your foot down and push for 10 metres at peak times.

• Advertisement

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    A lot of cyclists are an embarrassment how disrespectful they are towards the pedestrians there. It’s not the end on the world to put your foot down and push for 10 metres at peak times.

When people talk about drivers, cyclists and pedestrians you'd be forgiven for thinking we're discussing three different species. All three are prone to making the same mistakes and quite a few people are all three at different times.

What we need is more garda enforcement of douche bag behaviour, be they drivers, cyclists or pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

When people talk about drivers, cyclists and pedestrians you'd be forgiven for thinking we're discussing three different species. All three are prone to making the same mistakes and quite a few people are all three at different times.

What we need is more garda enforcement of douche bag behaviour, be they drivers, cyclists or pedestrians.

Agreed, comment was specific to that spot on the canal and I did manage to criticise two of the theee groups in my post so not singling anyone out. :-)

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Agreed, comment was specific to that spot on the canal and I did manage to criticise two of the theee groups in my post so not singling anyone out. :-)

Not having a go at you, your post was balanced. I agree with you. :)

There's lots more cyclists on the road, it's great to see. I'd not have the confidence to do it.

You're correct in that all three make mistakes, but let's not lose sight of the fact that cyclist mistakes and pedestrian mistakes don't kill people. Garda enforcement should be focused on those that cause most harm, which is not cyclists or pedestrians.

You're correct in that all three make mistakes, but let's not lose sight of the fact that cyclist mistakes and pedestrian mistakes don't kill people. Garda enforcement should be focused on those that cause most harm, which is not cyclists or pedestrians.

Cyclists jumping red lights needs to be controlled also. Pedestrians running out through traffic needs to be policed.

Car drivers acting the maggot is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

plodder wrote: »
    jim o doom wrote: »
    The problem with what you are stating is that the moment the vehicle at the head of the traffic goes to turn, there will not be a single cyclist, but a continual stream of bicycles preventing said vehicle from turning.
    That is a problem, but the answer is better education/enforcement rather than blocking the road imo. The cyclists other than the one or two at the front should allow the car to turn left.
    A vechile indicating left at the head of the traffic is the lead vehicle, and it is turning left. Common sense is not something a lot of road users have, so you can either hope the cyclist on the inside isn't a fool, or you can ensure they cannot undertake you. I'm going with the option that doesn't rely on a member of the public to be intelligent.
    I'm both a driver and a cyclist, and it's not even clear to me what the legal situation is with a cycle track in this situation. The example in the OP (leaving aside the bad example that it is) was a regular traffic lane with no cycle track marked.

Maybe someone can tell me, what if any difference is there in the turn left situation, when a car signals to turn left and a stream of bikes, but in a bike lane, pass on the left forcing the car to sit there and wait. I think the bikes should give way to let the car to turn left, but I'm not certain of the legal situation.

Also interested if anyone knows about the final point, I'm assuming cars have to wait for cyclists in the bike lane to pass before making the left turn?

Also interested if anyone knows about the final point, I'm assuming cars have to wait for cyclists in the bike lane to pass before making the left turn?

My take on this is that indicating is a signal not a right. If there's traffic coming on your left (car or cyclist) you have to wait if you don't think you have time to turn. If you turn and get hit by a car/cyclist you're at fault.

This is not always the case. Im a driver, cyclist and pedestrian.
    Yesterday in Drogheda I left work to post letters before I went home. I was just about to cross the street at a crossing when a cyclist in a hoodie shot out of a side street and almost took me out of it . He hit my shoulder, all my post went flying , my phone got smashed and I was hurt and shocked.
    He raced straight on even though he had wobbled initially......and flew down the street and through a red traffic light . If I had been one step further onto the street when he hit me I would be in hospital today with upper body injuries at least. His speed was shocking, I hadn’t a hope of seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

You're correct in that all three make mistakes, but let's not lose sight of the fact that, generally, cyclist mistakes and pedestrian mistakes don't kill other people. Garda enforcement should be focused on those that cause most harm, which is not cyclists or pedestrians.
    Just saw sweetmaggie got in before me making a similar point above. Although not that common, there are cases of cyclist's killing padestrians and all too often a mistake by cyclist's and padestrians can be their last.

I've been hit while walking by three cyclists.

One was on a green Man crossing and he swerved through a small gap of the loads of people crossing, I was at the other side of this gap and he hit my shin and chest. Had a nice cut from it.

2 of them were on footpaths and I was walking, both of these cycled straight into me, one was on phone he went flying off into a wall and the other went over the handle bars when he met my shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My take on this is that indicating is a signal not a right. If there's traffic coming on your left (car or cyclist) you have to wait if you don't think you have time to turn.

You are not allowed undertake traffic that is signalling left.
    If there is a car ahead of you signalling left, you wait until it completes the turn.

If you're in a car and there are bikes on your left, you wait until they pass you before turning, but you shouldn't have to wait for bikes that are behind you when you indicate to catch up and pass you.

(obviously, some common sense is required, if you're in a car turning left, you need to be sure that bikes behind you have had a chance to see you indicate. And speeding up to overtake a bike then turning left in front of them is ****witted behaviour)

RayCun wrote: »
    You are not allowed undertake traffic that is signalling left.

Are you disagreeing with something I said?

In the instance a bike is coming up on your left in a cycle lane what have I said that's wrong?

If a cyclist in a cycling lane hits a car turning left who do you think is going to come out the worst in a court case?

Same, a car turns left and a car coming up on their left crashes into them. Who's at fault? Indication does not give right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In Bray at the Dargle bridge turning left onto Seapoint rd. and on the Quays turning left onto Swifts Row towards the Jervis st car Park.

Headless chickens on bikes zipping up the inside to get through a green light at all costs. I use mirror and stop to let them through but get blown by cars behind me for doing so.

Rights may be rights but I don't want injured or dead people on my car if it can be helped. I never hit or bumped any animate thing in my life. I would be physically sick if I did.

Worst are the kids on bikes on the footpaths in our estate imitating test pilots at full speed close to cars which could reverse out at any time.

Some countries mandate reversing in and driving out of driveways at all times. They do not allow reversing onto the public road even in estate roads. This could be the way forward.

doolox wrote: »
    Some countries mandate reversing in and driving out of driveways at all times. They do not allow reversing onto the public road even in estate roads. This could be the way forward.

Pretty sure it’s already illegal in Ireland to reverse onto a major road, I’m not sure what a major road is defined as though.

amcalester wrote: »
    Pretty sure it’s already illegal in Ireland to reverse onto a major road, I’m not sure what a major road is defined as though.

That's reversing from a minor road onto a main road.

That's reversing from a minor road onto a main road.

You’re correct, I was conflating that and the below.
    A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road onto a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

This is not always the case. Im a driver, cyclist and pedestrian.
    Yesterday in Drogheda I left work to post letters before I went home. I was just about to cross the street at a crossing when a cyclist in a hoodie shot out of a side street and almost took me out of it . He hit my shoulder, all my post went flying , my phone got smashed and I was hurt and shocked.
    He raced straight on even though he had wobbled initially......and flew down the street and through a red traffic light . If I had been one step further onto the street when he hit me I would be in hospital today with upper body injuries at least. His speed was shocking, I hadn’t a hope of seeing him.

Awful cycling for sure - though again, it's worth remembering that all the evidence shows that the real danger to pedestrians is motorists.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Just saw sweetmaggie got in before me making a similar point above. Although not that common, there are cases of cyclist's killing padestrians and all too often a mistake by cyclist's and padestrians can be their last.

The last case of a cyclist killing a pedestrian in Ireland was somewhere around 2002. Since that time, motorists have killed more than 3,500 people here, just for context.

And is it really 'all too often' that a mistake by a cyclist is their last? How often do cyclists cause their own deaths? I'm aware of a tiny handful of such cases in recent years - the cyclist who ran into a car during a steep descent in Wicklow, the cyclist who ran into the back of a car on the hard shoulder in Cork, the drunk cyclist on the M1 - but I'm not aware of loads of such cases - are you?

Awful cycling for sure - though again, it's worth remembering that all the evidence shows that the real danger to pedestrians is motorists.

The last case of a cyclist killing a pedestrian in Ireland was somewhere around 2002. Since that time, motorists have killed more than 3,500 people here, just for context.

And is it really 'all too often' that a mistake by a cyclist is their last? How often do cyclists cause their own deaths? I'm aware of a tiny handful of such cases in recent years - the cyclist who ran into a car during a steep descent in Wicklow, the cyclist who ran into the back of a car on the hard shoulder in Cork, the drunk cyclist on the M1 - but I'm not aware of loads of such cases - are you?

This does nothing to negate the fact that some cyclists behavior is appalling and shows scant regard for pedestrians, and for the road traffic laws concerning RED lights and not endangering other road users no matter who they are. They also put themselves in danger breaking lights and racing through traffic .

This is something you are loath to acknowledge while constantly banging your “motorists bad, cyclist good “ drum both here and on many other threads.

I’m lucky I didn’t get a broken shoulder and jaw on Friday. A smashed phone and confidential financial company post strewn all over the street was small price to pay by comparison

This does nothing to negate the fact that some cyclists behavior is appalling and shows scant regard for pedestrians, and for the road traffic laws concerning RED lights and not endangering other road users no matter who they are. They also put themselves in danger breaking lights and racing through traffic .
    You're right, it doesn't negate the fact that some cyclists behaviour is appalling and some cyclists show scant regard for pedestrians. It does put that appalling behaviour in context, and shows that the real danger that everyone should be concerned about is dangerous driving. Pedestrian deaths are the one category that increased last year, and when you see that every second driver has their head in their phone at traffic lights, it's not hard to see why.

Here's a fairly typical scenario from another thread today;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109573154&postcount=7283

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

I do think there should be extra controls around cyclists. A huge number breaking red light there. Whether lack of understanding of road rules or disregard for rules of road and safety of pedestrians etc it is poor

Advertisement