Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicles blocking Cyclists passing

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    I know of a RA that got the addresses of four roads changed by deed poll to a let's say a more upmarket address. (It might be the same one). I think a lot of the residents rolled their eyes believing there to be absolutely nothing wrong with the address.
    Reminds me of that nonsense in the 1980's when An Post caved in to local residents and changed Dublin 26 to 6W.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TheChizler wrote: »
    I've heard of changing your name by deed poll, but... :rolleyes:
    Plebiscite is the process for street name changes afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

speaking of blocking pedestrians, check this twitter thread out for one where things go very off piste very quickly:
    https://twitter.com/Dub14Blockers/status/1101796262733664257

Jaaaysus... that's a nasty reaction from that club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Plebiscite is the process for street name changes afaik.
    Honestly didn't know it was possible outside of small towns in the US looking to help tourism. Thought the thing in Dingle was just the council giving the locals a say.

Still think it's ridiculous!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TheChizler wrote: »
    Thought the thing in Dingle was just the council giving the locals a say.
    eh, i don't think the locals liked the change! it was foisted on them IIRC.
    a gaelgoir friend told me that the town is now sometimes referred to as 'LondonDingle' in honour of the controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Reminds me of that nonsense in the 1980's when An Post caved in to local residents and changed Dublin 26 to 6W.

It had been Dublin 12, but apparently Dublin 24 was to be the new postal area, and Dublin 24 is non U or non posh or something, not something someone on Fortfield Rd would want. Anywhere served by the Fortfield sorting office is Dublin 6 or D6W with Eircodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It had been Dublin 12, but apparently Dublin 24 was to be the new postal area....
    Don't think so!
    In the late 1980s the growth of Dublin meant that parts of Terenure and Harold’s Cross were to be redesignated from Dublin 6 to Dublin 26 by An Post. So angered were locals that they eventually won a compromise with a new postcode of Dublin 6W (west). In fact, say some, there are those who refuse, in protest, to add the W, even though this can cause delays in receiving post.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/residents-love-terenure-whichever-constituency-it-s-in-1.444957

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

It can t be swept under carpet. Reality is that cyclists cannot be allowed to ignore rules of road. Same for motorists etc etc.
    Far more motorists break red lights than cyclists, funnily enough

http://kerrycyclingcampaign.org/but-all-drivers-break-the-lights/

Do you think we should be diverting Garda resources away from dealing with the death toll on the road caused by motorists to chase cyclists?

I never understand the resourcing issue for enforcing the law. To be honest it is shameful, how many more would cycle if the Garda enforced the rules!
    Get the resources by charging the sh!t out of lawbreakers. The least they can pay for is the salary of thee Garda enforcing the law. Now why cant we do that.....politically unpalatable!

Advertisement