Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Credit Register and Credit Card Arrears

• 27-02-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi there, hoping someone can share some insight on the CCR as I'm a little stressed about it at the moment.

I've been paying chunks off my credit card each month - it has a relatively low amount owed, just over 1k. However, for some reason, in January I completely forgot to make the payment on the day I was paying all my bills. I received a letter two weeks later to say I was in arrears and had 10 days to make the minimum payment before the account was frozen. I've made a payment larger than the minimum payment right away. My main concern is that on the letter they (BOI) said they are obliged to report this to the newer Central Credit Register and also the Irish Credit Bureau.

I understand that credit card owners get 30 days to sort out arrears before it's reported to the ICB (according to citizens information bureau). But I can't find anything about the CCR regarding when arrears are reported. I had sorted out the arrears and paid even more off the card before the 30 days was out.

I'm getting rid of the credit card - I don't need it and have been paying it off and can afford to. But I'm stressed because I've been saving for a mortgage and proving my repayment capacity for some time, which could all be ruined for 5 years by a negative score. And all over a one single forgetful mistake which I'm now kicking myself about. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks a mill.

(I have applied for my credit reports today, but I don't know if they will have been updated since this letter though as not much time has passed).

TLDR; Does the 30 day rule apply to the CCR in relation to arrears on credit card payments in the same way as ICB? This would put me in the clear for this silly mistake. Thanks.

Advertisement