Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gladiator overrated?

• 29-11-2004 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭

I keep seeing Gladiator in these quite respectful positions on charts (Best Movies, Most Popular Movies, Highest Attendance, etc.).

Now, I liked Gladiator, I thought it was good, but everyone else seems to like it much more than I do.

My main problem was Russel Crowe. I just kept seeing Russel Crowe instead of Maximus Descimus Orailius or whatever it was (by the way, Maximus was not a used name in Ancient Rome). Hey there goes Russel Crowe hitting a guy in the face.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this film is far overrated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Just a smidgen....

It was a good movie, but yes, I felt the same as you. "Hey look, Russell Crowe just smote that guy!" "Wow, Russell Crowe butchered those guys!"

and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've got it here on DVD and I've watched it quite a few times, and I'd watch it again. It's a good, enjoyable film.

It's only over-rated if you rate those idiotic "100 best movies ever!" articles that they have in magazines, or on Channel 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

It's only over-rated if you rate those idiotic "100 best movies ever!" articles that they have in magazines, or on Channel 4.

Those things are hilarious.
    100 most influential people in the world ever, and Princess Diana beats Isaac Newton..... fsckin hilarious. (Actually, I hope I remembered that right... it's been a while)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I found it quite boring.
    Every time I've tried to watch it I've fallen asleep.
    Overrated, yes I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

defo over rated but i ,love the setpieces in it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well it's a bit difficult to answer the question when you are not actually telling us *where* it's over rated. If it's just your general perception then.....no I don't think it's over rated. It sets out to be a brilliant romp in the acinet world of Rome and Gladiators and frankly I think it does that fantastically, I'd watch this over Ben-Bore any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

RuggieBear wrote:
    defo over rated but i ,love the setpieces in it.....
    I assume you're mainly referring to the colosseum. A professor my Greek teacher knows was a historical advisor on Gladiator. I think she's a Trinity professor. Anyway, my point is that the actual colosseum would have been richly painted and she even said so but the director ignored her. She tried to have her name stricken from the credits but did not succeed. To this day you can see her name. I forget what it is. I'll post again when I find out.

OfflerCrocGod: Yeah, I'm pretty much takling about the film in general. I also think it succeeded at what it set out to be but I still think it gets too much credit and is exalted as some kind of classic where as, to me, it was nothing more than an above average blockbuster.

I assume you're mainly referring to the colosseum.

well actually, i meant the action set pieces....especially the opening battle with the tar and stuff.

Still tis interesting to know that some of the advisors had issues with the historical veracity of it all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I went to see it twice.. first time was with a friend of mine and I suffered from numb a$$ syndrome..

Second time I fell asleep after about 3/4 of an hour!! This doesn't happen me very often in the cinema.. but yikes.. it really wasn't my cup of tea at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A very good film... but nothing more than that!

Definantly not the cinematic masterpiece most people make it out to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I disagree, a truely great film I think, a classic by all counts. One of Ridley Scott's best.

Elessar wrote:
    I disagree, a truely great film I think, a classic by all counts. One of Ridley Scott's best.

better than Blade Runner.....better than Alien!!!? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Cork_girl wrote:
    This doesn't happen me very often in the cinema.. but yikes.. it really wasn't my cup of tea at all!!
    You're a girl. No offence but if you look up the word "Gladiator" in the dictionary it says "Women GO AWAY", it's a good bit of macho movie making and that's why I like it. If you all find that boring, well go watch Sound Of Music or something - I'm sure that's more to your taste. I'll stick with my die hards, gladiators and LOTRs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

im a big action film fan, and thought this film was pretty boring,
    most of the film(story) was ripped from sparticus.
    Visually the film is very nice but the story, acting etc etc didnt do anything..
    The more i watch the film the more i dislike it.

This film is very overrated imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its a good modern movie but its not a classic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think it's a pretty decent movie, but no more than that. It's got some overly portentious speeches and I think Crowe, over-rated as he is anyway, isn't overwhelming in this.

Ridley Scott knows how to make a pretty scene, and he does so here as well, but I always felt a certain apathy towards the enthusiasm this movie engenders in some. *Shrug* As said earlier, he can do a lot better - Alien, Bladerunner - but also a lot worse - G.I. Jane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

RuggieBear wrote:
    better than Blade Runner.....better than Alien!!!? ;)

I said one of his best! Its up there with those two. It was a terrific story, terrific acting, great script, direction, production etc, it kept me hooked. I don't really see where people are coming from here but hey to each his own.

Again, and as a film student, I think its one of his best, a quite a bit better than some of his later films (ex. Black Hawk Down).

ixoy wrote:
    As said earlier, he can do a lot better - Alien, Bladerunner - but also a lot worse - G.I. Jane.

lol...i was trying to keep quiet about that one and the gung ho "lets kill lots of darkguys" Black hawk Down.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i think crowe is such an excellent actor... of course i think he's a gobshíte aswell.. but i can't fault him for his acting abilities.. have you seen 'a beautifull mind', he's magnificant in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭weerez

newband wrote:
    i think crowe is such an excellent actor... of course i think he's a gobshíte aswell.. but i can't fault him for his acting abilities.. have you seen 'a beautifull mind', he's magnificant in it!!

"If there's two things he loves it's fighting and...... fighting 'round the world"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Flamingfud

RuggieBear wrote:
    lol...i was trying to keep quiet about that one and the gung ho "lets kill lots of darkguys" Black hawk Down.... :eek:

I maintain to this day the foolish hope that Ridley Scott will do a Blade Runner, and bring out a Director's Cut Of BHD. The book had the potential to be the base of a really fantastic film, but unfortunately was gung-hoised in a bout of post 9-11 pro-American editing madness. I remember reading an interview with one of the actors (possibly McGregor) who claimed that the last cut he saw a few months before release was completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Great music in it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

weerez wrote:
    "If there's two things he loves it's fighting and...... fighting 'round the world"

With his good friend "tugger"

:D:D
    Go on the southpark !

Anyway i thought gladiator was excellent
    Beautiful backdrops, good action, good story, good soundtrack and a standout
    performance from joachim phoenix or however u spell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Great music in it though

I agree. Whatever flaws the film may have, you cannot fault the rousing soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. From the opening battle to the finale, it complements every scene in the film beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yeah the score is superb. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Its an enjoyable film imho but compared to the rich variety of films that have gone before it is over-rated. Probably because most people don't bother to check out older films. Spartacus is a far superior film.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I don't think scott's really ever touched on those heady days of alien / bladerunner...phenominal films...gladiator...good..not pheniominal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

IrishMike wrote:
    .... good soundtrack and a standout
    performance from joachim phoenix or however u spell it

Yeah sound track and yer man was great.

Advertisement