Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the PC I’m building capable of running games in 4k?

Options
  • 27-02-2019 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey guys, its been years since I posted anything on here but I’ve decided to finally start building my gaming pc after years of putting it off. The PC will be strictly for high quality gaming, watching movies and maybe some light streaming, any feedback on my build and if its capable of running games in 4k would be much appreciated as I’m still a relative noob at this stuff!
    Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor w/ Wraith Cooler
    ASUS Prime B450M Motherboard
    Ballistix Sport LT 8GB x 2 RAM
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
    ADATA SU800 128GB SSD
    MSI AMD RX 580 ARMOR 8GB
    (If any more information is needed on specs please let me know)

My plan was to use a 28” 4k Ultra HD Monitor with this but im unsure if my pc will be powerful
    enough to run games in 4k?

Would love to get some feedback from all the pro’s on here about my 4k capability and just to see if I’m building a good PC in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The hardware you picked is grand overall but while that GPU will run games at 4K, the frame rates would range from the high 20's to low 40's. You would really need something along the lines of a GTX 1080 upwards for a decent 4K experience imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The RX 580 would be a bottleneck here.
    You might be able to get playable (30-40fps) at 4K by lowering detail settings or playing older titles but it's really more of a 1080p/1440p card.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

Thank you for the feedback, I’m really happy that I got a brand new RX580 for such a low price (just over €200). But the 1080 would cost at least €500 right?

Considering 4k is out of the question due to the reasons you both mentioned could you guys recommend some of the best 1080p monitors for gaming? There’s so many options to choose from and it’s really difficult to decide on one

There's many tiers of monitors to think about, but look for something with 23-25" IPS or VA screen, FreeSync and 75Hz or higher refresh (144Hz is increasingly cheap).

Usually I'd sort by price, stick to a budget & look up reviews.

• Advertisement

After some quick research I’ve seen three that seem to stand out;
    Samsung CFG7
    Asus VG278Q
    Viewsonic XG2401
    Leaning towards the Samsung as it has 144hz refresh rate, 1ms MRPT and a curved screen at a price of around €350. Would you consider that good value for money and the type of specs I’d need for a high quality 1080 experience?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had the AOC G2460PG 144hz gsync 1ms monitor before i got my current one and it is superb.
    There is a freesync one for team red thats cheaper too.

LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    After some quick research I’ve seen three that seem to stand out;
    Samsung CFG7
    Asus VG278Q
    Viewsonic XG2401
    Leaning towards the Samsung as it has 144hz refresh rate, 1ms MRPT and a curved screen at a price of around €350. Would you consider that good value for money and the type of specs I’d need for a high quality 1080 experience?

Not great value IMHO; you can get 1440p/144Hz IPS or VA monitors for that price (even less with TN screens).

So my hardware would be capable of running games in 1440/2k? See this is what I mean, the options and specs just seem endless and finding one that has all the necessary features for the right price just seems really difficult, if you guys have a link to any specific monitors you would recommend I’d really appreciate it. Ideally I’d like 27”, 144hz, 1ms, freesync but with a good quality brand that I recognize (e.g Acer, Asus, Samsung) as I’ve never heard of AOC or used any of their products so I have no idea about their reliability or lifespan. Essentially I want to get the best possible monitor for crisp, smooth and really good looking gaming without it costing €400+

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Not great value IMHO; you can get 1440p/144Hz IPS or VA monitors for that price (even less with TN screens).

Just to add to the above that 1440p at 144hz is really the golden spot for gaming as you don't need to spend silly money to get there unlike with 4K. Look into Freesync VA's panels as they give a great balance of response time and picture quality without the downsides of either TN's muted colours or IPS's back light bleeding.

• Advertisement

LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    So my hardware would be capable of running games in 1440/2k? See this is what I mean, the options and specs just seem endless and finding one that has all the necessary features for the right price just seems really difficult, if you guys have a link to any specific monitors you would recommend I’d really appreciate it. Ideally I’d like 27”, 144hz, 1ms, freesync but with a good quality brand that I recognize (e.g Acer, Asus, Samsung) as I’ve never heard of AOC or used any of their products so I have no idea about their reliability or lifespan. Essentially I want to get the best possible monitor for crisp, smooth and really good looking gaming without it costing €400+

What's your max budget as a good 27" 1440p (1080p at 27" will look garbage) 144hz monitor from one of the big brand names is not going to be easy to find for under €400.

If 1440p at 144hz is the golden spot for gaming then that is definitely what im looking for, but is my hardware capable of running AAA games @1440p/144hz at a good fps? I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for it but I’m willing to pay good money for the golden spot of gaming monitors lol, any suggestions and recommendations you have would be much appreciated

My mistake, was thinking of Black Friday sales prices!

Choices for 1440p/144Hz:

Dell 27 Gaming Monitor: S2719DGF
    Very good TN screen - £350 GBP on Amazon, might be able to haggle it to under €400 on the phone to Dell Ireland.

Acer XF0 XF240YUbmiidprzx
    Bargain at £220 (€260). 24" TN panel though.

Hannspree Gaming HG324QJB
    £360 (€420) on Amazon. Cheapest VA panel right now, however it's 32".

Another option is a75Hz 29" 2560x1080 IPS Ultra-wide screen.
    Sort of right in-between 1080p & 1440p in terms of how easy it is to run.

Thank you so much!! The Dell monitor looks brilliant, that would probably be my choice! But just to clarify, my hardware would be well capable of playing triple A games at a reasonably high FPS on 1440p?

Yes, as long as you use High instead of Ultra settings (and overclock the CPU to 4GHz+) it should be fine.

Awesome, thank you so much for all the information man, you’ve been extremely helpful!!

Advertisement