Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Options
  • 27-02-2019 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭

Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield

Releasing on Switch later this year.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oOPVBm0sA7Q

Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble are the new starter Pokemon.
    D0axlccXgAAARBi?format=jpg&name=small

The setting of these games is known as the Galar Region.
    D0azhKJXgAAQ8wX?format=jpg&name=medium
    Bellevue, WA—February 27, 2019—During a Pokémon Direct presentation today, Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company, announced Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, the newest additions to the main series of Pokémon role-playing video games. Developed by GAME FREAK inc., Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield will be launching late 2019 exclusively on the Nintendo Switch™ system.

The Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games take place in the Galar region. Galar is an expansive region with diverse environments— an idyllic countryside, contemporary cities, thick forest, and craggy, snow-covered mountains. The people and the Pokémon who live there work together closely to develop the industries in the region. Fans will have the opportunity to visit various Gyms in the Galar region in their quest to become Champion. They will not be alone, since the newly discovered Pokémon they choose to be their first partner will be by their side.

“Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are the latest exciting adventures in the Pokémon video game journey that began twenty-three years ago on this day,” said Mr. Ishihara. “Since then, Trainers around the world have discovered new Pokémon, engaged in epic battles, and made countless memories along the way. We look forward to continuing this journey by exploring a stunning new region in the Pokémon universe when the games launch later this year on Nintendo Switch.”

The adventure begins in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield when players choose one of three new Pokémon—Grookey, Scorbunny, or Sobble. Grookey, a Grass-type Chimp Pokémon, is mischievous and full of boundless curiosity. Bursting with energy, Scorbunny, a Fire-type Rabbit Pokémon, is always running about. The stealthy Sobble, a Water-type Water Lizard Pokémon, shoots out attacks as it hides itself in water.

For more information about Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, please visit: https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As I said on the other thread, it's definitely a good taster.

It'll be interesting to see how big the Galar region actually is (if it's gen 7 size or much bigger).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Got excited when he said and that's not all, then it dawned on me its likely more shítty Pokemon Go stuff.
    Really good trailer as I was half expecting the starters and name along with a bunch of stock footage of developers working on the game; seeing the map was a bonus too. Looks to be a lot of open space on that map.
    One negative was that it looks like they dropped seeing the wild Pokemon before encounters. Most importantly you battle wild Pokemon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I don't want to get it if I can't use my pokemon from pokebank with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Looks nice enough, not melting face amazing but solid enough. Will be interested to see what mechanical changes they have made, I hope they have kept "no more HMs" from Sun/Moon as the original HM system drove me demented.

Dunno about the visible wild Pokemon, but with no idea how many of the existing 800+ 'Mons that will be in, it could get pretty crowded if there were 30+ types to catch in each region as you wait for the right 'Mon to spawn in. Plus you wouldnt be able to have the nice large depth vistas as there would be dozens of animated figures melting the Switch's processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll wait for Pokemon Motte and Pokemon Bailey.

Will watch when I get home just out of curiosity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Galar looks European/Old English, very nice. Pokémon Leave, Pokémon Remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Not gonna lie slightly underwhelmed by the graphics.

Hopefully there will be some interesting design/mechanics but i was expect a little more.

I fully expect to still get it but i'm waiting to be wow'd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Considering how much I'm enjoying Lets Go Pikachu, probably pick this up on release

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

plibige wrote: »
    Not gonna lie slightly underwhelmed by the graphics.

Hopefully there will be some interesting design/mechanics but i was expect a little more.

I fully expect to still get it but i'm waiting to be wow'd
    Yup, got to agree. Im rarely concerned with graphics, but for the flagship Pokemon series first proper console entry, it doesnt look anything special visually, very similar to Lets Go, which itself looked like itd run on the Wii fairly handily.

Not the great leap forward i was expecting, and its highly unlikely to convert anyone, but it should be good nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was looking for an excuse to get a Switch and this is ideal. Looks very exciting.

Wasn't a fan of the last gen's battle mechanics so I'd love if they scrapped Z-Moves and we could pretend they never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Been waiting for this announcement since I finished Pokémon let's Go. Which I loved (being a big fan of Gen 1 Pokémon).

I haven't really played Pokémon since the Gold and Silver days, which is a long long time ago. Hoping these are as good if not better than Let's Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

sligeach wrote: »
    The setting of these games is known as the Galar Region.

The disease region, that's unfortunate. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ugh, it looks like the same old tired formula..

"Wake up child, You're off on an adventure!"

"Go see the professor he has a rodent that has the hots for you and a trapper keeper!"

"Im the gym leader of this town, you think you can take me and my obvious weakness on?" x 8

"We're team rocket, you will never stop us from capturing the super rare over rated pokemon that you will likely never use" x 5

"time to steam roll the pokemon league and defeat the guy who popped up throughout the game with helpful advice but waited until the last moment to reveal he's the pokemon master"

I havent played all of the pokemon games, but i have played a few, have they deviated at all from this path?

This new one looks good, but it just looks like much of the same, as in not much different than lets go pikachu/evee :(

I was expecting something more mega for the first proper pokemon console game :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

"I don't like the new Pokemon main series game because, judging by the trailer, it looks like it has the same structure as previous Pokemon main series games"

Well, yes, it would wouldn't it?

I mean, otherwise it wouldn't be a Pokemon game!

Plus, jokes aside, the be more details over the time til launch, so I wouldn't worry too much

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cjragoo

People seem to be underwhelmed because for some reason they expected breath of the wild level graphics in a huge open world with Mankeys climbing in trees and Fearows soaring overhead but that was never going to happen considering the development time for a pokemon game is at most what 2 years? Plus gamefreak just dont seem like the most ambitious bunch and you can't blame them really when they're sitting on such a cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "I don't like the new Pokemon main series game because, judging by the trailer, it looks like it has the same structure as previous Pokemon main series games"

Plus, jokes aside, the be more details over the time til launch, so I wouldn't worry too much

oh i still kinda enjoy them, i was just kinda hoping for something to freshen up the game with this outing. It's Nintendo, they constantly do it with Mario and Zelda and others, but this just looks like much of the same, where as I was expecting to be impressed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Well wanting a franchise to change up its formula a bit is hardly asking too much.

Zelda does it constantly, and a lot of series pivot at some point.

I think Pokemon (like halo and smash) suffers from its hardcore fan base demanding familiarity which stifles innovation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's cursed with massive success then, partially because it sticks to the formula, so no impetus to evolve.
    That said, it's not like there hasn't been other Pokemon titles on the various Nintendo and mobile platforms that haven't tried something different, from Snap to Go, Mystery Dungeon to Rangers, so it's not entirely staid and stuck in a rut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My main issue with the reveal of this is how crap the three new Pokejobs look - I suppose it's tough to keep inventing new critters but the design of those three just seems... awful.

Will still probably buy this as I haven't played one since the brilliant Red.

I think people are entitled to expect a bit more from the series having a main line home console version. People have been wanting it for 20 years now. I can't think of a game people had built up in their heads more.
    I don't think Game Freak ever embraced that concept though.
    They tried to change up the formula with Sun/Moon tbf but the games were pretty boring and lacking any challenge. They were better than X&Y which were a chore to play at times.
    I kinda wish they'd try a few things
    • Change the Pokemon League format to be more than the Elite 4. Honestly I'd have a large knockout format with random challengers. I'd make the gyms random too.
    • Not use only Water, Fire and Grass type starters.
    • Focus less on towns/routes more on larger open areas outside them.
    • Make the world the game is set in unique from past titles. I liked how Sun and Moon tried this with featuring several islands and region types.
    • Have Pokemon show up randomly in areas on the map every few days, this is the only thing I'd take from Pokemon Go.
    • Allow the player to own and operate their own gym maybe with their friends and allow players online to challenge the gym.
    • More story content outside of completing the Pokedex, gyms & battle team whatever.
    • Play as an adult maybe as not everyone is 10 playing these anymore.
    • Not have more legendary Pokemon as there must be close to 50 now.
    • Several difficulty levels.
    • Based on the last 2 games take the bloated scripts and rip out half the dialogue.
    • Scrap Mega Evolutions, Ultra Beasts, Z moves and forget they ever happened.

Graphically it looks like what a HD remake would of the 3DS games, hopefully it runs better than those but Yo-Kai Watch 4 looks better as it did on 3DS.
    I'll still play it as I have the previous 7 generations but I wish Game Freak would try more than say they have new ideas that will likely be fluff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Pokémon Sword & Shield Reveal DISCUSSION - New Starters, UK Inspired Region & Soccer?!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YAL0O9r4zVA

Pokémon Sword & Shield ANALYSIS - Reveal Trailer (Secrets & Hidden Details)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XHkw2FOjQr0

Pokémon Sword & Shield ANALYSIS - Galar Region Map (Secrets & Hidden Details)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YMLMgCSUeFE

Out November 15th.
    Outside of the Town's (Wild Area) seems to offer players camera control and view wild Pokemon.
    There is a new gimmick know as Dynamaxing, basically the Pokemon become gigantic. Honestly that part looks dire, somehow lazier than Z-Moves.
    Dymnamaxed Pokemon in the wild can be battled in Multiplayer "raids"

Have to say.....Wooloo may be the cutest Pokemon ever!

Also seen a leak from a few days back which had a lot of this stuff bang on (character names, Dynamaxing, Wild Areas, some of the new revealed 'Mon) and some more, sounds pretty nice.

Spoilered in case people dont want to know/its very quickly made BS/someone saw the Direct in production and made up stuff to match it:
    There is also Gigantomaxing, which more changes the loook of a Pokemon, one I remember is Pikachu changing to look like fat-chu from Gen 1
    Regional variants back; Sir'fetched is a Far'fetched variant, a grey "spikey" Meowth
    Gyms require a task before you can challenge them: Milo has you herding Wooloos and a so far unseen Electric type Corgis will chase them and make the run away, 2nd gym has you navigate a water themed maze, 3rd is a Pokemon catching challenge but you are against another player doing the challenge

Looking forward to E3, they might show off a few more bits n pieces or have a playthrough as part of the Treehouse livestream.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Watched the gameplay there,

Me and one of the lads from work said this really looks like a zelda game with the huge open words that we seen in the video.

I am wondering could this be built in the same engine as the last zelda game?.

I just hope they don't make it as easy as pokemon sun and moon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I just hope they don't make it as easy as pokemon sun and moon!!!

Indeed. I'd also hope they realised they don't need a cutscene everyone 5 seconds- first 5 hours of Ultra Sun had me rolling me eyes something fierce.

Game looks gorgeous. Mad excited. Am I misunderstanding or have they confirmed we're getting overworld wild encounters like Let's Go?

Is it wrong my Pictures folder is quickly becoming a mecca for cute Wooloo pics?

2BhCUzx.jpg?1

kXK9ImW.jpg?1

Seems that not every Pokémon will be transferable to Sword / Shield :

Explains the like/dislike ratio here:

https://pokemon.alexonsager.net/

Pokefusion was trending earlier on Twitter & it's pretty cool. Only the original 151 pokemon available tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone really bored?

A 24 hour livestream from the Galar Region. Has been on a while already with glimpses of Pokémon, new and old

And a reddit thread keeping an eye on it
    https://www.reddit.com/live/13qj0ax0bpo3y

Advertisement