Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Jason2379

So I guess we're getting to that pre-order/pre-load stage now and I was just wondering what people are doing?

For games that I'm really excited for I usually pre-load so I have it at the time of release but Smyths have a pretty good offer now where if you pre-order and collect in store it's only €49.99! But I'm also wanting to take a risk and order for delivery and finally be one of those people who receive a game a day or two early due to shipping times. Anyone know any stores that are good for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

RECEIVE A PHYSICAL STEELBOOK FOR PRELOADING 'POKÉMON SWORD AND SHIELD' ON THE EUROPEAN ESHOP
    But...why?

https://gonintendo.com/stories/348021-receive-a-physical-steelbook-for-preloading-pokemon-sword-and-sh

Ya, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

On the pre order, the dual pack is out of stock now on Smyths amd does not appear on the gamestop website.

Anyone know what gives?

Edit: Same craic on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pokemon-Sword-Shield-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07SQP7WZ2?tag=gamespot-preorderguides-20

Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield – Overview trailer (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grO7u1R866o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Seems that not every Pokémon will be transferable to Sword / Shield :

Explains the like/dislike ratio here:

I'm ok with this, in fact I'd say, unless they're going to give a new evolution to one of the previous generations Pokémon, they should start with a new game and a fresh Pokédex limited to ~150 brand spanking new ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A guy is streaming this on YouTube right now. Looks like it's similar to the 3DS games with no real challenge (he beat the gym leader's 2 Pokemon using just 2 moves, one on each) and there seems to have noticeable slow down with the Dynamaxing. Not really a surprise as the 3DS games ran very poor at times for a turn based game to me that comes across so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reviews for this will be fascinating. Lots of 5s and 6s I fear....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »

Gods but I hope not.
    This is the fatted calf that is going to make Ninty/Gamefreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'd like to be wrong but it really doesn't look great.

Less than half the amount of pokemon, poor graphics and some terrible battle animations. Lack of any challenge, especially with exp share always being on. Removal of megas and z moves while being replaced with gimmicky dyna/giga maxing
    It also appears quite short with little post story content.

Was hoping for a monster hunter esque handheld to console evolution but it looks like it's regressed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Mr E wrote: »

Can't wait to read Metacritic on Friday and see the review bombing that will occur! Always makes for an entertaining read :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Quick Question,
    Want to get this for 7 year old, is this a one player or 2 player game, as my daughter also likes pokemon?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I cancelled my pre-order for both today. I had just about gotten over Dexit, but from the leaks it looks like they're not worth my time or money. It's a shame since I enjoyed most of the new Pokémon I saw and was looking forward to going in somewhat blind for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

People seem to have turned on this pretty fast, is it touted to be that bad?

I'm still going to pick up my pre-order on Friday, I'm sure it'll be a fun game regardless of what experienced Pokémon players are saying. I've no previous Pokémon games to transfer from, have no real interest in online play and have not played any since Ruby/Sapphire so maybe I'm an ideal catch for this game; new players and returning players?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The thing about these two gamea is Pokemon Sleep Pokemon Home and other unannounced updates will play into exactly what the games can and can't do Sun and Moon were terribly limited but I think Sword and Shield will be better, I'm hoping to get the dual pack myself on Friday either here or I've someone gonna try get it for me in London.

https://opencritic.com/articles/899/pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-embargo-details

The reviews will be out at 2pm if my math is right. I don't expect anything except 8's or 9's as was the case with X/Y & Sun/Moon neither of which were particularly good but reviews never expressed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Cancelled my pre order when curry & rice dex became a selling point

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hugely positive review from IGN. I might be going back tomPokemon for the first time since the DS.

"Pokemon Sword and Shield are the best games in the series, streamlining its most tedious traditions without losing any of the charm."

https://t.co/8OF0Tp1NTi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Hugely positive review from IGN. I might be going back tomPokemon for the first time since the DS.

"Pokemon Sword and Shield are the best games in the series, streamlining its most tedious traditions without losing any of the charm."

https://t.co/8OF0Tp1NTi

Eurogamer's review seems far more balanced, doesn't give it a recommended "Shadow of a former great".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-13-pokemon-sword-and-shield-review-a-shadow-of-a-former-great

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So strong reviews from Kotaku and Polygon, who I find align with my tastes more often than not and 9s from IGN and GameSpot. Eurogamer seem cold on it, but I think I might be picking this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow. My hat is well and truly eaten. Well done, Game Freak.

• Advertisement

From reading some reviews, it's mixed, the highest score is from IGN, 9.3. I was surprised, they're very often critical of Switch games, checked the author, Casey DeFreitas‏, a bigger Pokemon fanboy you'd do well to find. Gamespot too gave it a 9, another harsh site at times.

At the opposite end of the scale, the scores aren't bad, but the comments are a little damning in the summaries on Metacritic.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/pokemon-sword/critic-reviews

81% thus far from 17 reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The toxicity within the community is worse than I remembered although it is quite funny, IGN's review in particular on YouTube is getting a grilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Xenji wrote: »
    The toxicity within the community is worse than I remembered, IGN's review in particular on YouTube is getting a grilling.

It's insane some of the tweets going around at the moment , I don't even know whats happening just people are pissed.

I'm looking forward to it anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Id be interested to get it if they freshened it up a bit. If its still the same rotate around a map clockwise from town to town taking on and easily defeating gym leaders for badges to then do a gauntlet tournament to credits roll.. I'll pass..

Is that what it's looking like? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The IGN review is actually hilarious, it is more like a personal love letter to the game more than a review and then claiming the 3DS games set a really low bar for
    Pokemon games when IGN scored 3/4 of them a 9.0 and the latter a 7.8.

Xenji wrote: »
    The IGN review is actually hilarious, it is more like a personal love letter to the game more than a review and then claiming the 3DS games set a really low bar for
    Pokemon games when IGN scored 3/4 of them a 9.0 and the latter a 7.8.

Reviews praised the 3DS games in general but they were quite poor as someone who played the 7 gens those 2 are the bottom two.
    GameXplain described Sword/Shield as being a bare bones entry, the wild area felt empty & the cities weren't lively or large.

I watched this video below & it's obvious that this game didn't get enough time in the oven. Nintendo & Game Freak got selfish by not giving this game enough time likely due to development time being put into the Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu games. Time to give the games time like they did with Diamond & Pearl or Black & White which had 4 years of breathing space between their release and it showed as they were great. They blatantly lied about reusing assets too which was obvious as the games don't look far beyond the 3DS ones.

Pokemon Sword and Shield was getting released at this time of year regardless. It already had a big delay, no way was it getting another and missing the holiday season. The Switch Lite was brought out to capture the dedicated handheld gamers who may have been sitting on the fence due to cost. It's getting a bigger share of the Switch sales in the past couple of weeks in Japan as the Pokemon Sword and Shield release approaches. I want to see the breakdown of hardware sales next week.

Going back to the IGN review, they never should have let Casey DeFreitas anywhere near the review, she was never going to be impartial. The video review on Youtube has more thumbs down than thumbs up. If they've any sense, they'll keep her away from the Animal Crossing review when it comes along. That's another major love of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I like this review, felt it balances it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_4MeSNIRS8

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Gonna skip the reviews, go in blind and hope for the best. Haven't really played a new Pokemon game since Gold and Silver (Let's go count?) and don't play the mobile version or anything, so I'm just hoping for a decent game with some hours of fun! No huge expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The only Pokemon game I played was blue. I was a little interested in it as I have a long flight on Saturday, but I am also thinking of Luigi's Mansion.

I won't pay much attention to the user score on metacritic as it will be sub 5 due to Pokemon that were used in 20 other games no longer being there. It's a shame those people will have to experience something new

Advertisement