Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good Moisturiser on a budget?

Options
  • 27-02-2019 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just looking for recommendations. I usually use Silcocks Base and although my skin is very clear it remains dry. Is there anything good in Penny's?. Doesn't have to bottom of the market price wise but cannot afford anything very expensive. Thanks, S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I'm just looking for recommendations. I usually use Silcocks Base and although my skin is very clear it remains dry. Is there anything good in Penny's?. Doesn't have to bottom of the market price wise but cannot afford anything very expensive. Thanks, S

What's the max you're willing to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

There's loads of great stuff cheap

Simple is a great one has a normal and rich version usually only €2 something

Nivea comes in large tubs for €4 the blue creme is a heavy one and the white one a light one

Astral is another good heavy ish one

Aveeno is a great one too as well as Boots own range which are never usually over €3

I have very dry skin, honestly the best I have ever got is the caviar moisturiser in aldi. It's under a tenner & I swear by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Aldi do a lovely sea weed based moisturiser called Mara or something like that, it cost circa 4.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

bubblypop wrote: »
    I have very dry skin, honestly the best I have ever got is the caviar moisturiser in aldi. It's under a tenner & I swear by it.

Would that help with rough skin patches too?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Would that help with rough skin patches too?

I think so, I actually put some on my elbows before, I found it good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I like Eucerin, using their Urea repair moisturiser and nothing else for the past year or so. I tried loads of other moisturisers that seemed to get sucked into my skin without moisturising it at all, this actually makes a difference to my skin. It's generally 9.99 in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Weleda Skin Food 30ml
    €9.05
    ★★★★★
    ★★★★★ 4.9 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
    (75) Write a review . This action will open a modal dialog.
    Click image to zoom

Select Size:

30 ml
    €30.17/100 ml

Hi op, I have the same problem as you in regards to dry skin. It's in Holland & Barrets, buy one get one half price. I have never tried it before so I don't know how good it is. It has got great reviews so I'm hoping it will help with my dry skin.
    I have ordered it online so I should get it in the next couple of days.
    If you like I can let you know how I find it.
    I'm not in a position to be purchasing expensive moisturisers either, there must be cheaper alternatives out there.
    If you find something that works for you could you post back also please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Aldi lacura is as good as every thing I've tried, which includes products 30 times its price!
    Maybe I'm just lucky it suits my skin, but I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The Boots botanics range is great for dry skin. It contains SPF15 and is on offer at the moment, about 6euro. Boots own products are not tested on animals either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Addle wrote: »
    Aldi lacura is as good as every thing I've tried, which includes products 30 times its price!
    Maybe I'm just lucky it suits my skin, but I'd highly recommend it.

I've tried that too, & it's got great reviews too, I read an article in the paper saying the same as you, that it has the same ingredient as a lot of expensive ones.

The problem I found is that it just sits on my face & doesn't sink into it, if that makes sense.
    I have an oil of olay day cream which is good, it sinks into my skin & I feel it helps, but my skin is too dry for it to be enough.

I've read up on some vitamins, I can't remember which ones but they are meant to help with dry skin. I might end up trying that if I can't find a moisturiser that suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Steer55 wrote: »
    Aldi do a lovely sea weed based moisturiser called Mara or something like that, it cost circa 4.99.

I use this one and I have older skin which can be patchy, I find it great, I'd recommend any of the Aldi or Lidl more expensive ones, they always get great reviews against expensive brands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like Mara although. I also had the red one from Aldi. I think it might ve for mature skin but it worked for me. I don't like Lidl stuff.

I like La Roche Posay in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Buy I jar of coconut oil in the supermarket. Far better than anything else. However, tour skin will be greasy for about 20min

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Zenify wrote: »
    Buy I jar of coconut oil in the supermarket. Far better than anything else. However, tour skin will be greasy for about 20min

Coconut oil is comedogenic so would bear your skin type in mind, just fyi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

You could try some of the better pharmacy brands such as Bioderma or La Roche Posay - both regularly have offers on in boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

I bought the nivea creme in the large pot recently and find it great. Even though I've oily skin I also have psoriasis around my nose and on my cheeks so I prefer a heavy duty moisturiser. It's under 5euro too and it's 200ml so will last you ages

Aldi moisturisers are lovely too. I use the day cream and night cream and have rebought these numerous times :) (they remind me of nivea creams)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Natural moisturizing factors by the ordinary is amazing and so cheap. Contains Hyaluronic acid which attracts moisture from the air which is great with our damp Irish climate. 100ml lasts forever and is less than a tenner too but you will prob need to order that online from deciem although Arnotts do the 30ml version.

https://www.arnotts.ie/brands/the-ordinary/the-ordinary/natural-moisturizing-factors-ha/124473926.html?cgid=the-ordinary#prefn1=refinementType&prefv1=FaceMoisturiser&start=1

If you really want to boost hydration, try TO squalene oil underneath it, it’s not greasy but I use it at night and my skin is baby soft in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Cherry Healey did a BBC programme The truth about looking good. These were the budget, mid range & expensive moisturising products that came out on top,

The under-£5 product was Nivea moisturising cream, in the £5 to £25 bracket was Clinique’s £24 Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion and the £43 Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré was the over-£30 product.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/cosmetic-addict-cherry-healey-bbc-11805066

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I love the Dr Derm Hydro Magnet, Roches Pharmacy sells it for €22.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cetaphil.

https://www.cetaphil.com/

It was recommended for one of my children with dry skin by my GP. It is so good, and so reasonably priced, I started using it myself. I find it excellent.

Silcocks base we found very heavy, the cetaphil sinks straight in.

Should be in most chemists.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm a fan of Nivea moisturisers. I use the Q10 range. Not expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Nivea moisturisers. I use the Q10 range. Not expensive either.

I always go back to their Q10 stuff! It just suits my skin.

I like the range with added Vit C

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

GingerLily wrote: »
    I always go back to their Q10 stuff! It just suits my skin.

I like the range with added Vit C

Same here. I've given up spending a fortune on moisturisers, Nivea is just as good if not better than many I've used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I go between Silcocks base and LIDLs Cien Classic Cream.

Silcocks Base I find excellent for clearing up hormonal blemishes or if my skin has any kind of dietary related breakout and LIDLs Classic Cream if my skin feels a bit dry - often post shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I have very dry skin too, I usually do a hot cloth cleanse with coconut oil and it is a life saver, I swear by it.
    Try a thick emollient moisturiser like Palmers cocoa butter or Astral cream.

A beautician friend of mine told me there's a new range of moisturisers by Alex Steinherr in Penney's that are very good. The day one doesn't have an spf though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    A beautician friend of mine told me there's a new range of moisturisers by Alex Steinherr in Penney's that are very good. The day one doesn't have an spf though.

A separate SPF should always be used anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

La Roche Posay is on offer on look fantastic at least once per month, €25 in Boots, I usually get it for about €14 /€15. Recommended to me by a dermatologist, I have dry skin. Hydraphase Riche. spf and uv protection

• Advertisement
Advertisement