Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polestar 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

If their marketing is an indication of how they are going to do business in Ireland then I can’t see a great future.

since I filled in a request from for a test drive, I am bombarded with ads from them but got told on email no test drives available. Their pricing is incomplete and there was no follow up from them except for the polestar newsletter sent to my email that directs me back to the same homepage.

very poor.

it’s like they committed to a marketing campaign without having any product availability or test drive infrastructure organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I didn't even get an email to confirm my test drive request.

Looks like their behind the scenes tech in terms of their website related communication is having issues.

Shouldn't be the case given that theyve been established elsewhere for sometime and thus the tech should be at 100 percent

Actually the Polestar emails are buried in the promotions emails that I usually just ignore because its (usually) just hotels I've stayed in and Easons etc.

Got the same "no test drives available" that Carsfan2 got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

It appears that they are taking €1000 deposits now on a selection of pre-specced versions of the car - none of which come under the €60k threshold to qualify for the grant. Unless I'm reading it wrong, there doesn't seem to be an option right now to configure the car exactly how you want it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Correct. €61k is the lowest I seen of the preconfigured cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks to be a good car for the money, pity it's outside the 5K Grant, but 408hp for the money aint too bad....🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

You can configure it and price it, just not put the order through. Shame the plus pack just kills the grant by 315 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wonder if enough people emailed them would they drop the price to 49,999? Surely they'd sell far more cars that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

But then you add different alloys and/or a different colour than the free black option and you're back to square one.

Looks like same as Tesla. You can have the lowest version and the grant and maybe one small addition or after that you lose the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Doesn't matter they'll have no issue selling cars the issue will be supplying the demand therefore they'll maximize margins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

For anyone interested the 2 main “Private” financing options available are:

(1) PCP at 4.9% APR

(2) HP at 5.9% APR

both via BoI.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

The preconfigured cars look to me to be MY22 cars not the latest specs.

What's the story if you have a trade in?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

They’re not accepting trade-ins at the moment. They say they’re still working on a partner for same.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The grant'll be gone before the cheap ones are available at this rate

They’re going to be rare on our roads with their current business model.

They should have sorted all these things out before launching the marketing campaign.

I would have thought Volvo dealers are the obvious choice for taking trade ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

they had 21 cars on the preconfigured list last week - 18 now - not exactly selling like hotcakes. It is a lot of money to pay over for a brand with no track record even if Volvo own 50% of it

Polestar now offering Dublin test drives according to emails me and my brother got.

So things are moving along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Taking a test drive in this tomorrow morning in Dublin. Looking forward to it!

Drove it this morning in Sandyford; lovely, lovely car to drive. Think I was in the dual motor, longer range spec. The map behind the steering wheel and the big central tablet screen are cool. Definitely a bit smaller than the Volvo XC40 Recharge I drove recently. Overall the quality was great (much better than I'm used to anyhow), felt very premium coming from a 2016 Peugeot 2008.

Chap I was dealing with seemed relatively confident that the shipment of cars they have been promised will arrive in late August, but of course couldn't really make a true commitment.

Need to have a think about this vs the XC40 Recharge I've a deposit down on (or rather the company, will be a company car so the €60K limit isn't important excepting the fact that the lower the cost the better for my wallet via BIK). The Volvo isn't due to be here until late September/early October, but who knows with the current lead times and delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Whole thing is a bit of a joke, why launch when there was nothing to show and its just so difficult to engage with them.

Is it Spirit Motors in Sandyford who are doing this or do they have their own showroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

And who owns the majority shares of Volvo ?Geely.

Geely Aldo own the other 50%

There is no proper showroom; they have a portion of a carpark to use elsewhere in Sandyford, with the test drives run from a modular office (very like an opened up shipping container!). I asked where exactly a buyer would go to post-purchase if they had problems, as the person I was dealing with this morning was telling me about how the company would fix a lot of things no question if an issue arose, I pointed out they didn't have a dealer network in Ireland, he said that post-purchase Volvo dealerships will act as as Polestar service centres.

Did they say anything about taking trade ins?

the whole approach seems very half hearted for Ireland and I’ll prepared.

some of the forthcoming cars look great though.

No, I don't think trade-ins are part of the equation, all the ordering is done online. I have a car myself but will get rid of it somewhere else I guess if we (my employers I mean!) go ahead with an order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

@ionapaul Did they/you mention about what comes standard? Think someone on here (Nobby?) mentioned that the driver's pack (or whatever it's called) is standard here but an option in the UK?!

• Advertisement

The 'Pilot' pack (think that's what you mean) seems to come with every pre-configured car they are selling here, from looking at their listings. Though from reading a fair amount of reviews, it seems like that is the one pack of the three that every buyer should get at the least, so I don't think it's a big problem that it's standard (for now) for Ireland. The Performance pack seems a total waste to someone like me who isn't a motorhead and has no plans to bring the car to a track or whatever, and the Plus pack (which does come on most of the preconfigured cars currently available) seems nice to have rather than a must have, I probably would skip it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fakedel

Going for a test drive on Wednesday. The confirmation email says it'll be a dual motor with performance pack.

I have ordered a BMW i4 but other threads and forums indicate there appears to be a lot of messing about with order delays and options being dropped on a 'take it or leave it basis.' It would be a shame to wait a year and not get the car you wanted.

The notion of having practically the same performance and features on my driveway within weeks via Polestar is very, very tempting (assuming I actually like the car!)

Pilot Lite pack is standard equipment in Ireland on all P2s. The only options are the plus pack, leather, tow-bar, and wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Has anyone who has test driven the car asked why the plus pack is priced as it is? If they just dropped the plus from 4800 to 4499 the standard range single motor with the plus would suddenly cost 5 grand less in the Irish market due to the grant. That's surely an oversight no? For the sake of 300 euro like........ I'd be interested to hear what a rep had to say about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are all Volvo dealers selling these or what? I’ve seen a couple but not common yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Trade ins are done with Spirit, they can check out your trade in you are on the test drive according to the person showing me around. Didn't ask for them to look at mine as I didn't like the car.

Is the heat pump included with the Lite, or do you have to get the Plus for that?

I emailed them about that very thing last night, asking them who priced things €316 too much to allow for the grant.

Standard range single motor with Lite pack, in Void, is €55,500 including €1,000 delivery and fees. Less the grant bring it in at €50,500 otr.

With plus pack (€4,815) and delivery, it comes in at €60,315 and outside the grant! So the Plus pack ends up costing you €9,815!!

Same deal with the long range single motor.

In Void it comes in at €59,245 including delivery and fees. Less grant is €54,245 otr.

You can forget the Plus pack in this. Blows it way over the grant ceiling.

Put a lick of paint on it for €1,070, and the price comes in (again!) at €60,315. So that paint job costs you €6,070!!

It's a strange coincidence that adding the Plus to the standard range and paint to the long range both end up at exactly €60,315.

Surely it's in their best interests to reduce both the Plus pack and paint by €316? Or maybe reduce their €1,000 shipping and fees to €684?!

Still really tempted by one though. If I could get the standard range with upgraded paint and the Plus pack for €59,999, I'd purchase (if I was able to!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Found it very dark inside even with the glass roof but the massive centre console was the big turn off.

The heat pump is solely available via the Plus pack

Balls.

Nobby mentioned in his review (around 4:10 in) that the heat pump comes as standard in Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJE8CrunIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I had a test drive today and have to say I liked it.

I test drove the dual motor.

Plenty of power, much nicer place to sit than the C40 and drive.

The one I test drove didn't have to performance pack.

They are building a showroom were they are currently testing the cars, all servicing will be done within the Volvo dealer network.

Spirit are taking trade ins for them bit they offered me 8k less than anyone else for my car on trade in so its a no go which does make things very awkward, if I was to decide to go for one. If the boot was bigger think it would be a no brainer for me bit with two dogs I'm not sure.

One thing that would bother me may be small but only one cup holder in front, there is a second one but to access have to lift the armrest

The Irish configurator is still showing MY22 model whereas the UK configurator has the updated MY23 model which is what I would want to ensure I got if I was ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But I don't think there's much difference between the two? From what I can see more colour options, and one or two more options interior wise, car will be dearer though.

The current car will get software update to improve range inline with my23.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Why don't you try zucar I got 1500 more than any trade in offer when buying my car. Cash then for new car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I took a Polestar 2 dual motor performance for a drive today. Here are my 2 cents;

• Panoramic roof is lovely and perfectly darkened
    • Fine Nappa leather is beautiful and comfy
    • Hatchback opening is very convenient
    • Pixel headlights***
    • Pilot assist works great
    • Feels very safe at speed
    • Performance Brembo brakes are very good.
    • 360-degree camera works great
    • Great neck-straining acceleration
    • Interior quality is great, feels solid, no rattles.
    • Very beautiful car
    • Steering feels good but not as sharp as M3 at lower speeds in my opinion
    • Kick boot opening mechanism works great every time
    • Blind Spot monitoring is a great feature

Dislikes:

• Cloth seats at this price point feel very cheap and underwhelming, comfort is average.
    • Front interior feels a bit cramped because of the traditional design compared to M3
    • Boot capacity is small compared to M3
    • Performance pack doesn't increase performance figures, it should add some power(waste of money imo @ €6420)

Neutral:

• Rolling acceleration not as quick as M3LR, wouldn't stop me from buying it
    • Not as efficient as M3LR, but again, wouldn't stop me from buying it.
    • Not as quick from standstill as M3LR

*** Pixel headlights, the salesman told me there's a high chance Irish cars won't be specced with the amazing pixel headlights if you spec the plus pack(not listed on anymore on plus pack) because of the chip shortage, very annoying. This is a letdown for me as I'm a fan of matrix-style headlights. It's such a tease when you see the P2 test cars specced with them but the one you buy won't have it. From my understanding, new M3s have the matrix technology but awaiting a software update to make it work.

I was disappointed that the only seat option is cloth or €4800 ventilated Nappa leather with wood trim. The Nappa leather is beautiful but I found the seat ventilation underwhelming.

Overall I really liked the car. Would I buy it? Yes. I've always had my eye on a M3LR but my better half loves polestar so we'll buy one in the future.

That'd be a right kick in the stones if the matrix lights didn't come with the Plus pack. It'd actually dissuade me from buying it.

I drove the dual motor performance pack. A lovely drive, plenty of speed and poise, and the ride wasn’t anything like as bad as some car reviews would have you believe. It’s a really likeable car, nice and practical, and very good looking. The wood in the Plus Pack looks and feels great. The Nappa leather looks and feels gorgeous. 

However there are some drawbacks. There was excessive squeaking and rattling. Some of the plastics are cheap and dodgy, especially around the centre console pockets. The tech is nice but the ability to configure it is very limited. 

I could forgive all this but the weave-tech seats were an awful disappointment. They looked, felt, and smelt cheap and nasty. Not premium at all and they really lower the overall experience. They really need to rethink these. There’s plenty of vegan ‘leathers’ about that would look a lot better.

I also tried the FWD single motor and that was very sloppy. It rolled a lot and it was too easy to spin the front wheels. It’s fast enough for everyday driving though. 

To get the Polestar 2 right for me, I would have to have the dual motor Performance Pack with all the options including Nappa. That would be a lovely car. But that brings the price to over €80k. 

Then you consider that for the same €80k you could have the i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport with all the trimmings. I’ve driven that too and it’s better to drive, better built, has better tech in most aspects, and there is no real-world difference in terms of speed. 

I’d be happy to have the P2 on my drive, but for the spend it takes to get it right (for me at least) I’d take the i4 instead. It’s disappointing tbh, as otherwise the Polestar is such a likeable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Test drove the Dual Motor today with the pilot pack. Have to say I came away quite impressed. The interior was absolutely fantastic with the nappa leather and the wood trim, really blows the M3 out of the water.

Acceleration was brisk, maybe not as fast as some competitors but certainly more than good enough for but the most adrenaline hungry.

I specifically took it to some back roads to check the ride comfort and it passed in my books, though I probably wouldn't option the 20" wheels if you're leaving good quality roads often. The car handles its mass very well, only making itself known when hitting the brakes hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Has anyone who has paid a deposit on late July delivery Polestar 2 had any contact regarding payment or finance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Coming absolute last (by some margin) in the US JD Power survey and soundly beating out Tesla is some serious "achievement" by Polestar. I love Volvos and while they don't exactly have a great reliability record, I'd have expected a lot more for this spin off brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

Just off the phone with their 'Trade-In Partners'. I had checked their website before the call and found a car with almost exactly the same spec and mileage as mine - they have it up for 24,950 which sounded promising, until he offered me 15K for mine! Needless to say it wasn't a long phone call!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Eireann81

A lot more preconfigured cars available on the Polestar website now; most available from October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I’m assuming their trade in partner is Spirit? I tried dealing with them previously on a trade in and they were 7K shy of other similar main dealers, there is a massive shortage of second hand cars at present ring around other main dealers most I suspect would be interested in just buying your car, I’ve had no problem agreeing to sell my current car to a dealer when my Tesla arrives

Advertisement