Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polestar 2

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Admittedly I bought a P2 because we have a larger EV for the family but after owning the car for a few months it isn't as small as a lot of people make out. I think the transmission tunnel puts a lot of people off. Getting into a P2 for the first time feels odd but over time the bump between the driver and passenger adds a sporty feel to the interior and it's a nice place to rest your arm with easy access to the gear shifter. I don't think the interior is claustrophobic. Just different.

The Model 3 and P2 are both premium cars, whatever way people want to put it. I come from Audis and while the interiors are different, they are in no way better or "more premium'" The same can be said for BMW and Mercedes. Coming back to the Volvo point. I think it all comes back to what people view as premium. I don't really like Audi/BMW/Mercedes interiors. I think they are dated, overcrowded with buttons, and targeting a very different customer to Volvo. Volvos are classy, refined, understated cars and so are their owners. In a lot of ways, they punch higher than their competitors.

In terms of performance, the P2 isn't at the same level as the Model 3 but it is still leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. My standard P2 has the same performance as an ID4 GTX so it's important to look at all the competition and not just the model 3. Also, unless you are racing other cars from the traffic lights on a wet day, you will not notice the FWD. In fact, it actually makes the car more pointy than its competitors, something a lot of people have commented on who have driven one.

I bought a P2 because I was pi**ed off with Audi who sold me a lemon a few months previous to picking up the Polestar. I thought the P2 looked great, the interior tech was far better than my wife's ID4 and the standard range car was only 52k for good range and lots of interior spec. A similar Q4 Etron, Id4, or EV6 who have cost me close to 60k. I think a lot of people underestimate how good Android Auto is in the Polestar and how much range it has for a car below 55k. It's not an expensive ev unless you get into the Plus Pack which most people don't advise anyway.

If I was buying again I would look at a Model Y. I think they offer great space and attractive looks for much less money. The Polestar isn't for everyone. It's a good second car for Dad if you ask me. We probably wouldn't have one as our first choice family car but that said, I have two small kids with massive car seats in the back and the P2 has been great so far. It's perfect for the kids and a nice mid-life crisis car for me. I do think more people should check them out. There's no such thing as a bad EV on the market at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Sounds like a very sensible mid life crisis, I’d be thinking more Porsche 911 as an itch to scratch.

Review today from the tech lady on the Times

Tech review: The electric car with the high-tech interior 

https://www.irishtimes.com/technology/consumer-tech/review/2023/08/03/tech-review-the-electric-car-with-the-high-tech-interior/

The Polestar is about as much of a midlife crisis as I can afford. 🤣 I've always thought if I ever went back to petrol it would have to be a 911.

Good review and great that she highlights the Android Auto infotainment which is one of the best features in the car.

I actually think the Google assist is spot on. It works very well.

Hopefully there will be more of them on the forecourts in a few years time and I'm not fighting with dealers to try and sell it.

They’re nicely finished and good value considering the spec on the base model. Pity they didn’t choose to sell them through the existing Volvo Dealer network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It is a bit strange that they don't use the Volvo dealers for sales. There are two within 30 minutes of me that are listed as Polestar service points, they could easily put one in the showroom too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That seems to be a conscious decision the break the brand out. Purposefully, whether its to target a different type of customer than traditional volvo customer is unclear. Also if its working..unclear

Maybe an attempt to go upmarket from Volvo rather than competing with them directly. Bit like Audi and VW years ago. I think they’d sell a lot more of them through the Volvo dealer network especially outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Must be. An attempt to go upmarket is proof that even Volvo themselves don't think their cars are premium, at best semi-premium 😂

• Advertisement

Go buy anything from an X60 upwards and come back tell us the non premium experience 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

XC60 starts at €73k. You'd want it to be fairly premium for that money alright 😀

Tbf you rarely see a volvo if ever in say tallaght. Yet they're strewn across South Dublin to tallaghts east. Yet all you see is VW and BMW across tallaght. I think this shows the price point volvo maintain whether one likes the interior or not. It's always been upmarket even look in the UK. I don't make the rules

The team in Dublin said that Polestar wants to be a Tesla competitor and that is why they are going with the buy online model. It actually works very well too. Everything was very clear with both automated and human communication coming from Polestar HQ.

Polestar is connected to Geely. Not so much the Volvo brand so I think that also needs to be considered. A lot will depend on if Spirit choose to grow the brand to other locations in Ireland or Polestar choose to team with other dealers outside of Dublin. Spirit are building a large Polestar showroom in Sandyford. It's going to be in the same location as the current shipping container they are using.

I drove Audi's for years and my wife told me I was a chav. She also told me never to come home with a BMW. 😂 I actually have a theory that BMW are purposely designing odd looking cars to detract the boy racers. The Burberry effect.

I work in Dublin 2 and everyone drives a Volvo or Range Rover. Even BOD and his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Got an email there, Polestar 4 going on sale on 31st Jan. Curious to see one in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pad406

Anyone happen to know what the cost of this is? Can't find it anywhere and tried setting up an account to find you need a car assigned to it first. Just trying to get an idea as looking at some 2nd hand ones, some near end of manufacturer warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

They've stopped doing it as far as I know. The link in the polestar store is dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pad406

I believe you have to be logged in. Still there then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Click through the read more part. Diverts you to a dead end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Try this link but maybe you have to be logged in. 12 used P2s available starting at 35k

https://www.polestar.com/ie/preowned-cars/search-result/polestar-2/

• Advertisement
Advertisement