Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LAST TIME you or someone you knew smoked a cigarette on a flight.

Options
  • 27-02-2019 4:37pm

I had my first flight in 1996 and I don't know any relative or friend who had a ciggi at 35000 feet etc.
    Anyone care to regale any tall tales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yesterday and most of the last 30 flights that I have done this month.

Coolio. Hope it was a worthy , considering you can afford to fly on your own private plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I remember back in 1993 I was on an Aer Lingus flight from Shannon to Boston.

The window aisle seats were all non smoking and the centre aisle seats were all designated smoking seats.

we are travelling at 50k feet in a metal tube... boggles the mind.

considering you can afford to fly on your own private plane.
    Actually i get paid to fly people who can afford to fly on their own private jet and one of the benefits is that they get to smoke if they so desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

smurfjed wrote: »
    Actually i get paid to fly people who can afford to fly on their own private jet and one of the benefits is that they get to smoke if they so desire.

Smoking ban not applicable in the air I guess? What if a domestic flight in a country where the ban exists? Guess you would have to be an Irish contracted employee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

I had a workmate a few years back, consumed half a bottle of vodka and lit up on a BA flight to Heathrow ! abused the staff when told to stop...and done 6 months in gaol for it !!! must find the court link again, fecken eejit !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

nlrkjos wrote: »
    I had a workmate a few years back, consumed half a bottle of vodka and lit up on a BA flight to Heathrow ! abused the staff when told to stop...and done 6 months in gaol for it !!! must find the court link again, fecken eejit !

To Heathrow, from Ireland???

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    To Heathrow, from Ireland???

No, Stavanger, Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I wonder is a private jet not a workplace and thus subject to the law regarding smoking ? Depends on the reg I suppose or is it the company that pays the salary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

trellheim wrote: »
    I wonder is a private jet not a workplace and thus subject to the law regarding smoking ? Depends on the reg I suppose or is it the company that pays the salary ?

It’s a work place and is subject to the laws of the state of registration, or local laws when they are more restrictive. So if smurfjeds plane is registered in Ireland, then nobody should be smoking on it (unless there’s an exemption that I’m not aware of). Hope it’s not, ‘cos I wouldn’t like to be the one to have to break that news to the clientele :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

October 1985. Flight from Shannon to the old USSR for a world cup match. Booked the trip through Lep Travel, in Dame Street if I recall correctly and got an Aeroflot flight.

Was only when I boarded it I realised that the plane was actually en route from Cuba and it was already half full. I was seated in at the window and was sat beside a very large,(fat), man who smoked and sweated profusely throughout the flight.

It was hell.

As an aside, I was in hospital in Dr. Steevens hospital earlier that year and the lads in the other beds could smoke there also, with little tinfoil ashtrays on their side lockers.

Aaah, the good auld days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

I was smoking on a Futura flight from DUB - LPA in June 1999 believe it or not. It had a smoking section in the middle of the plane which led to a lot of mid-flight seat swapping and which meant that those in front of and behind it had to suffer through it as there was roughly 30 people smoking at any stage throughout the whole flight. It was one of those package holiday flights with a midnight departure from DUB.

So much about it now is a thing of the past and yet it's barely 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

SMoking was normal on flights up to the late '90s. IIRC the rear part of the plane was reserved for smokers on transatlantic flights but, of course, the smoke was everywhere. I smoked at the time and couldn't really understand the problem, being so impregnated with the smell myself. However, once I quit it was pretty obvious.

I had a colleague who would only fly JAL for years because they were the airline who still allowed smoking until relatively recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

john boye wrote: »
    I was smoking on a Futura flight from DUB - LPA in June 1999

Yeah Futura to the Canaries in the late 90's. Back three rows were smoking from memory.

Restaurants were smoking until the ban which seems worse to me. At least the cabin has lots of air blowing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

The EI 747s had the smoking section in the rear middle seat section. Remember it many times going over and back to JFK.

So if smurfjeds plane is registered in Ireland, then nobody should be smoking on it (unless there’s an exemption that I’m not aware of)
    It not Irish, but it does raise an interesting question in that if flying outside 12 miles from Ireland, does the countries law apply?
    At least the cabin has lots of air blowing around.
    I wish that this was true, a lot of the air is recycled so the smell lingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

We took a few holidays to Spain, Portugal etc. when I was a kid in the 80s early 90s. I definitely remember smoking and non-smoking areas of the plane. Unfortunately both of my parents smoked (still do even worse, always worry about them!) and we sat in the smoking areas but it was the norm then.

I also recall doing work experience in a bank about 1995. This bank had no public counter and was effectively an open plan office. A number of staff just openly smoked at their desks. It's remarkable how quickly attitudes and practices changed in a relatively short time span.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

China, back in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Do them ecigs count?
    On a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Birmingham last April, just as the plane rotated leaving Dublin the woman in the row opposite me had her head down on her lap puffing away on her ecig.
    Maybe she was nervous or something but Jesus how can people not go 30/40 mins without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

First flight I ever took would have been a Futura package holiday one in 99, there was a smoking area on the plane, but we weren't sitting in it. Looking back it seems mad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

1996. American Airlines from Heathrow to Boston. The aircraft was no smoking except for the very last row which was like musical chairs for most of the flight.

I also remember smoking on charters (inc Aer Lingus) from Dublin to the Canaries in the early 1990s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

2000. Air France, Paris to Jo'burg. A smokers section right down the back, screened off by a curtain.

Remember when all pilots used to smoke Rothmans !!! them adds were mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

An Air Berlin flight ca 2004/2005 I think where the last 3 rows were smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

1995, I think. BA from Heathrow to Nairobi and it was horrendous. Someone was smoking a cigar, seemingly non-stop, so by hour four I was green. By hour four and half, I think there were no spare sick bags in my vicinity. We had to pay extra to get a fancier non-smoking seats on the way back, thanks to Ms Pukey here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My old man sitting the entire family in the smoking section of a futura flight to Spain in 1994 is the last time I remember seeing cigarettes on a plane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

A charter flight to Izmir in 98 first and only sun holiday package i ever went on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

trellheim wrote: »

I'd say there's a slim chance of getting caught

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Flight back from Egypt in 2000... No bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Last November flying into Stewart with Norwegian, we were all asked to remain seated on arrival. Next thing two very large State Troupers boarded the flight and haul off this individual who had attempted to light up in the Jacks. I believe this is a Federal Offence in the US and taken very seriously.
    Ironically enough, flying Malaga to Belfast the previous May, again requested to remain seated on arrival and guess what, two very large Gentlemen board the flight in what appeared to be Police uniforms. They proceed down the back of the plane, haul off a young male and bundle him into a official looking white Van.

Advertisement