Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching career to teaching

• 27-02-2019 9:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

Hello,

I am seeking some advice and really just thinking aloud with others.

I am currently working as a professional for the last 6 years. It's going ok, but I am lacking some skills that hold me back from really feeling like I excel at my job. These skills are social skills, how to interact with people etc.

It's not something like falling out with people, I get on great with everyone but I just don't feel confident or know how to act or what to say in situations. I come across as very reserved etc.

But there is one area where I feel very confident, which is in the area of training and explaining things to people.

So I have thought to myself before, that maybe I would be a better teacher. Even a colleague told me I should have been a teacher one time.

I know the general consensus here is do what makes you happy but I think switching is a massive thing so I'm looking for general thoughts and what I'd have to do.

- I understand you have to do a 2 year masters. Is that 12k in total or 12k per year? I'm guessing that I'd have to give up my current job? I currently earn 45k in my job. So the cost of switching would be 90k lost income + 12k which is 102k and then I'd start on 36k.

That's a massive loss in income I think, it's probably the difference in retiring 2/3 years early.

- I live in a place I like now. What are the chances I could get a job within the area or within a decent commute? I would really hate to move to the middle of nowhere and not see my friends or have a decent life. (I'm not living in my hometown, it's on the Dublin commuter belt.) Just FYI I'm male, I understand males find it easier to get teaching jobs..

Some thoughts in my head - I feel like switching career is basically a waste of my college and working life, 10 years.

What earning potential is there in teaching, how far can you go if you are driven? I like the challenge my current job gives me.

I haven't even thought about primary or secondary, but my degree is one the approved list of degrees I think.

Has anyone made the move from private sector to teaching? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Social skills and interacting with people are an enormous part of teaching. You're not just interacting with the children, but with their parents, your colleagues, visiting teachers for children with disabilities, psychologists and occupational therapists sometimes... that said, plenty of teachers are reserved individuals who nonetheless have strong empathy and good social skills.
    I can't advise on secondary but my understanding from this forum is that you need two subjects and that even then, jobs are scarce, and you may not start on full time hours.
    In terms of primary, well- do you enjoy working with under 12s?! There is currently a huge shortage of subs in the Dublin area, but in the 2-3 years it would take you to qualify that may well change. I love primary teaching but I would certainly recommend that you do some shadowing of a teacher first (you'll need Garda vetting for that) before deciding on that route.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 JonnyMarbles

Redser87 wrote: »
    Social skills and interacting with people are an enormous part of teaching. You're not just interacting with the children, but with their parents, your colleagues, visiting teachers for children with disabilities, psychologists and occupational therapists sometimes... that said, plenty of teachers are reserved individuals who nonetheless have strong empathy and good social skills.
    I can't advise on secondary but my understanding from this forum is that you need two subjects and that even then, jobs are scarce, and you may not start on full time hours.
    In terms of primary, well- do you enjoy working with under 12s?! There is currently a huge shortage of subs in the Dublin area, but in the 2-3 years it would take you to qualify that may well change. I love primary teaching but I would certainly recommend that you do some shadowing of a teacher first (you'll need Garda vetting for that) before deciding on that route.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Doesn't sound good for me then :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Moved over from Work & Job; you should get more detailed response here OP. Please note new charter in effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Don't do it for money or career progression prospects.

One way to start would be to have a chat with your old school if the principal or deputy are still around.

If I were in your boots I'd probably just take up a hobby or do an evening course in welding or gardening. then maybe think about going back to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

My advice for secondary: don't do it!

I love my subject area and I enjoy teaching when students are well behaved and want to learn. This is very rare and almost never happens.

Today, for example, I was told to f off, had a paper ball thrown at my head and I had students mitch from my class only to then smirk in the corridor at me later on. And of course I got the daily insult that we hate your subject and will never use it.

Stick to your job and don't ever work with teenagers. IMHO!

Hello,

I am currently working as a professional for the last 6 years. It's going ok, but I am lacking some skills that hold me back from really feeling like I excel at my job. These skills are social skills, how to interact with people etc.

It's not something like falling out with people, I get on great with everyone but I just don't feel confident or know how to act or what to say in situations. I come across as very reserved etc.

But there is one area where I feel very confident, which is in the area of training and explaining things to people.

So I have thought to myself before, that maybe I would be a better teacher. Even a colleague told me I should have been a teacher one time.

I know the general consensus here is do what makes you happy but I think switching is a massive thing so I'm looking for general thoughts and what I'd have to do.

- I understand you have to do a 2 year masters. Is that 12k in total or 12k per year? I'm guessing that I'd have to give up my current job? I currently earn 45k in my job. So the cost of switching would be 90k lost income + 12k which is 102k and then I'd start on 36k.

That's a massive loss in income I think, it's probably the difference in retiring 2/3 years early.

- I live in a place I like now. What are the chances I could get a job within the area or within a decent commute? I would really hate to move to the middle of nowhere and not see my friends or have a decent life. (I'm not living in my hometown, it's on the Dublin commuter belt.) Just FYI I'm male, I understand males find it easier to get teaching jobs..

Some thoughts in my head - I feel like switching career is basically a waste of my college and working life, 10 years.

What earning potential is there in teaching, how far can you go if you are driven? I like the challenge my current job gives me.

I haven't even thought about primary or secondary, but my degree is one the approved list of degrees I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I love teaching, but I have seen many teachers leave during or straight after the PDGE basically because of their poor social skills, kids calling them names, not being able to manage a class, not being able to talk to teenagers.

It’s hard to know what you mean by your poor social skills. Maybe you could try volunteering with a youth group or something and see how you like it . Or maybe adult education could be a better area for you?

I love teaching, but I have seen many teachers leave during or straight after the PDGE basically because of their poor social skills, kids calling them names, not being able to manage a class, not being able to talk to teenagers.

It’s hard to know what you mean by your poor social skills. Maybe you could try volunteering with a youth group or something and see how you like it . Or maybe adult education could be a better area for you?

By poor social skills I mean my brain freezes when I converse with other colleagues who have more knowledge than me. It's probably an insecurity of not not being an expert in my field.

When I'm doing my training sessions and I know more about the subject than the people I am training I become confident and more comfortable.

It's just in my head now because I have often thought that I should have been a teacher instead and a colleague mentioning it to me makes me feel like maybe I was right...

williaint wrote: »

I love my subject area and I enjoy teaching when students are well behaved and want to learn. This is very rare and almost never happens.

Today, for example, I was told to f off, had a paper ball thrown at my head and I had students mitch from my class only to then smirk in the corridor at me later on. And of course I got the daily insult that we hate your subject and will never use it.

I was out with a secondary teacher recently and asked her had she any trouble students and she said no, they're only kids.

Sorry to hear the challenge you face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Jaysus, have you considered moving school? They never would've tolerated stuff like that where I went anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was out with a secondary teacher recently and asked her had she any trouble students and she said no, they're only kids.

wiliaint's experience is not the norm, but definitely not unusual either. It's not all 'Dead Poet's Society'. Factor in management whose style is to send any child back to your class, no matter what they have done and you are in an untenable position.

I know of a case where one lovely child (misunderstood poor boy, probably a saint really) knocked a teacher out cold with a punch to the side of the head. Not a teacher they had, not someone who had ever taught them, just someone with their arms full of books. Were the guards called? Did anything happen to him? No, there was this piece of floral decoration swaggering in the lobby of the school for days, cupping his genitalia and sneering at us all.

Thankfully he left of his own accord after a few months, but that is the sort of thing MANY teachers put up with in this country.

I would not advise anyone I cared about to go into teaching.

What are your subjects OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hello,

That's a myth derived from that rag of an Irish Independent. Yes the salary scale will state that amount but the number of teachers who start on would be very lucky - most teachers spend a few years on the subbing scene before getting that long awaited contract. Depending on subjects, they may be years.

I sympathise with you Walliant but after working in several schools, I have not witnessed any of this.

By poor social skills I mean my brain freezes when I converse with other colleagues who have more knowledge than me. It's probably an insecurity of not not being an expert in my field.

When I'm doing my training sessions and I know more about the subject than the people I am training I become confident and more comfortable.

It's just in my head now because I have often thought that I should have been a teacher instead and a colleague mentioning it to me makes me feel like maybe I was right...

One difference, they will be interested in their studies - try teaching the French past tense to a 14 year old boy who sees no interest in studying languages.

Not the way I would see it. Yes they are young but you may have the child that throw tantrums when you ask them the easiest of things. You may have lovely kids but I am always aware that they could go home and spin lies which ends up with you in front of parents/school management etc.

I couldn't see the post where you said that it is easier to get a job as a man - that is another myth - the best person gets the job.

On the whole, I would recommend that you see if it is possible to shadow a teacher in whatever sector you want to work in. Work out the costs and see if you are prepared to live on social welfare/subbing for a number of years. Can you survive summers without pay? Teaching has got more stressful since I began teaching a number of years ago. We have the new 'improved' Junior Cycle which will destroy our education system. Never ending paper work and the stress of inspections.

On the positive, I enjoy my work everyday especially when I see my students excel - and that may only be to do the simplest tasks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The 36k thing is a myth for a lot of secondary teachers. Took me 5 or 6 years to get a full salary as I was part time. As was everyone who I knew in college. I've a strong feeling the being easier to get a job if you're male is a myth as well, especially at second level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Shadow a teacher as other have suggested.But don't just go to one school try a couple perhaps all boys, all girls and a mixed.As you can see from the comments above schools vary greatly and can depend on things like management, student cohort, socioeconomic factors, school resources etc. Don't jump into it because it is a big commitment in terms of time, money, workload and you are very unlikely to get a permanent job straight out of college.Be under no illusions it is a very tough job so do your homework and know what you are getting into. All of the above advice is very true and yes you will take a wage drop for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Would you consider other teaching/training jobs that aren't actually a teacher. Might be easier to move into training related to your current role and wouldn't need masters and mint be able to do it without losing as much money.
    Don't think you said what you work at currently but there is training roles in all walks of life and a lot of them pay better than teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I used to work in an environment that sounds like what you experience. Being cursed at and verbally abused multiple times a day was the norm. The environment was very negative. I left a CID, moved to a different school and have absolutely no regrets. Life is too short to be dealing with that crap on a day-to-day basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

A teachers starting salary is 31K - Ive seen figures like 36k and 38k floating around social media, its a myth that started by nurses as far as im aware to push their agenda. Most teachers starting out wont get full hours for years after qualifying so even the 31k a year salary is a pipe dream for most. Since graduating ive been subbing casually but ive had nothing secure and although I love teaching and I love the kids im starting to look elsewhere for work as teaching isnt a feasible option long term.
    Ive never heard of it being easier to get a teaching job if youre male, majority of teachers ive worked with have been female. ive never experienced a gender bias.

Do your research before going into teaching, its a tough job, its very hard to find work and the money isn't great starting out and the PME is long and expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Hello,

To answer your first question, the PME depending on where you do it could be 12-15k, in total.

I'm not sure about being able to balance your current job and the PME, you'd certainly not be able to during placement (unless your job takes place in the evening) and you'd be attending lectures in college as well.

Getting jobs in teaching (in my experience) depends a lot on your subjects and your willingness to move. Are there any jobs coming up in schools locally to you? Are there many schools? If it's on the Dublin commuter belt there could be jobs in schools near you.

There aren't many progression opportunities in teaching unless you want to go into management, and you wouldn't be getting into those positions until years after you start the career. I'm also male, within my subjects it definitely helped me get a job but I don't believe being a male teacher in general would help that much.

To echo what others have said, people generally don't start on the full 36k that is portrayed by the media. Also progress very slowly. I'm lucky to have secured full hours as an NQT but that isn't the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

A skill you would have to develope is the ability to explain stuff to students similar to williaint's and of whom there are many.

Don't look at this job through rose tinted glasses. If students were abusive to you are you able to switch off when school is finished or would you bring that home with you and brood and brood?

bobbyss wrote: »
    A skill you would have to develope is the ability to explain stuff to students similar to williaint's and of whom there are many.

Don't look at this job through rose tinted glasses. If students were abusive to you are you able to switch off when school is finished or would you bring that home with you and brood and brood?

Couldn't have said a truer word.Kids can and will say anything to you and you have to be able to take it on the chin and not take it personally.Kind of a skill in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Blaizes wrote: »
    Couldn't have said a truer word.Kids can and will say anything to you and you have to be able to take it on the chin and not take it personally.Kind of a skill in itself.

I disagree with this....when I was a student you didn't get to say anything you wanted to a teacher without repercussions ...hence you tended to have manners and behave like a semi normal human being and do what you were told + learn something into the bargain.

Some consequences for doing what you like should be reintroduced into the system for the sake of the larger cohort of students that do actually want to do something and aren't out to ruin other peoples chances while they treat the system like a creche/juvenile detention centre as much as for the sanity of the teacher and providing them with a half decent working environment.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    I disagree with this....when I was a student you didn't get to say anything you wanted to a teacher without repercussions ...hence you tended to have manners and behave like a semi normal human being and do what you were told + learn something into the bargain.

Some consequences for doing what you like should be reintroduced into the system for the sake of the larger cohort of students that do actually want to do something and aren't out to ruin other peoples chances while they treat the system like a creche/juvenile detention centre as much as for the sanity of the teacher and providing them with a half decent working environment.

Amacca, I think perhaps you misunderstood what I was trying to say when I said taking it on the chin, what I meant by this is that the teacher should not take on board the insult or horrible comment that was made to them by a student and then go home and mull it over thinking that they are somehow deficient as a teacher; when we all know that kids can, do and will push boundaries to to see what they can get away with.

The teacher needs to document it, report it, follow up on it and apply a sanction. kids need to have basic manners and respect for others and for their teacher and without these things teaching falls apart to the detriment of the children in the class who actually want to learn.

I like you grew up in a time when we respected our teachers and would not put a foot wrong because we had respect instilled in us from home and a respect for the education system and the importance of education to us for our future and looking back on it I can say I had an idyllic education.But the picture has changed for many children now because of the poor behaviour of some kids. It really needs to be tackled.I won't hold my breath though especially hearing about a shortage of social workers and also kids waiting to be assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

These types of threads have been going on for the last 15 years on this forum. It isn't easy to get a job, you won't start off on a full time contract, prepare yourself to move around the country and by 30 you might be CID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

Listen to the advice here. Also in your current job, could you up skill to feel more confident as you mentioned lack of knowledge in certain areas is a problem.
    If you're serious about teaching _ what experience do you have working with children or teenagers. Do you train an underage team in a sport, help out in scouts, a youth club etc. See if can you take lip from the under 15 football team! Kids are not like they used to be and neither are parents. Not to mention management etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

phildenny wrote: »
    Listen to the advice here. Also in your current job, could you up skill to feel more confident as you mentioned lack of knowledge in certain areas is a problem.
    If you're serious about teaching _ what experience do you have working with children or teenagers. Do you train an underage team in a sport, help out in scouts, a youth club etc. See if can you take lip from the under 15 football team! Kids are not like they used to be and neither are parents. Not to mention management etc.

To be honest, while your current job brings about those insecurities, entering teaching probably won't make this any better as naturally, if you really care about your job, you are naturally going to think you could always do more and work harder. Couple this with management and parents who tell you how you are doing your job ain't good enough and the words "soul destroying" are an understatement.

Of course, I am a teacher over in the UK where there is a lot of accountability on teachers. However, I've been told that Ireland is beginning to go this way with more scrutiny on teachers, whether it's helpful or not helpful. Weirdly enough, I entered teaching for better career prospects in my subject area (Languages) as I was working in call centre/customer service short term roles and it was just not fulfilling/always had that desire to teach my subject. However, it's quite disappointing to have kids who don't care about your subject and you are still responsible for it. The words, you can bring a pony to fetch water...but you can't force feed them. I teach A level (LC level) even where you think they would want to engage but yet it is still my fault because I am not forcing them to speak in group work despite many opportunities I have given to break down the subject, etc..it's a very thankless job and you really need a tough skin to make a career in this. I'm hoping to finish my NQT year and re-train in another career, as life is too short to be miserable, even for a newly qualified teacher.

I'd really do your research with youth work. Kids are less innocent these days and teachers have more issues to deal with, and more accountability for things that aren't necessarily within their control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ah shur don't worry guess who's brother will be keeping an eye on you

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi_orzvxfDgAhWiqHEKHV16BNsQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Fteachers-may-face-fitness-to-teach-complaints-if-they-do-not-support-special-needs-pupils-1.3812888&psig=AOvVaw3b3A3y5HKz07XoKpB6Srj0&ust=1552065818432083

"The charity says it will assist parents in making fitness to teach complaints to the Teaching Council, the regulatory body for the profession"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi_orzvxfDgAhWiqHEKHV16BNsQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Feducation%2Fteachers-may-face-fitness-to-teach-complaints-if-they-do-not-support-special-needs-pupils-1.3812888&psig=AOvVaw3b3A3y5HKz07XoKpB6Srj0&ust=1552065818432083

"The charity says it will assist parents in making fitness to teach complaints to the Teaching Council, the regulatory body for the profession"

On that note have also heard a new wellness inspection is being introduced in schools, apparently the document 😚

On that note have also heard a new wellness inspection is being introduced in schools, apparently there is a document which refers to it on Dept. website , haven't looked at it yet, but if true will add another layer of bureacy to teaching. Really becoming a very challenging job because where is the time to do Soo

On that note have also heard a new wellness inspection is being introduced in schools, apparently there is a document which refers to it on Dept. website , haven't looked at it yet, but if true will add another layer of bureacy to teaching. Really becoming a very challenging job because where is the time to do all the extra paperwork, with the amount of work teachers already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hello,

Are secondary teachers capped at teaching a certain no of hours per week?
    I'm looking to do a masters in education.

Does anyone have any knowledge on it is easier to get work as a secondary teacher then a primary one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hello,

Are secondary teachers capped at teaching a certain no of hours per week?
    I'm looking to do a masters in education.

Does anyone have any knowledge on it is easier to get work as a secondary teacher then a primary one.

22hours class contact time, but add another 22+ for class prep, correcting, paperwork & mindless Bureaucracy.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Advertisement