Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching career to teaching

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hello,

Are secondary teachers capped at teaching a certain no of hours per week?
    I'm looking to do a masters in education.

Does anyone have any knowledge on it is easier to get work as a secondary teacher then a primary one.

If you get primary teaching the chances of getting a full wage are a bit better. Secondary you might be on non-full hours sub work so paying rent might be trickier. But in both cases you could get lucky and land on your feet.
    Increase chances in secondary by having an in-demand subject, what subjects were you thinking of teaching?
    For primary a positive disposition towards Maths and Irish would be a good thing!
    In both cases if you have had a relatively good rapport with the school or teachers you had when a student it might be a good idea to sound them out (schools like to have a former poacher turn gamekeeper).

GAA, Religion and Nepotism ... To paraphrase a minister... “mandatory but not compulsory”:pac:

Either way be prepared to put aside about 10 years of erratic earnings. Most of the NQTs I know have been living at home with the folks for a few years to get money for rent or a deposit together. I know most people of that age are doing that anyway but just be realistic about people who'll tell you it's a handy number and you're overpaid.... Cue lurkers.

Advertisement