Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain after first stage of root canal

• 27-02-2019 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

I had first stage of root canal treatment before Christmas, and am due back to finish it off next week.
    For the last couple of days, I’ve been having a mild pain in that tooth, when I bite down (1/10 kind of pain). It wasn’t constant, some of the time it esdny there at all. The pain is more noticeable this eve, maybe 3/10, but not very troublesome.
    I’m just wondering what the possible causes of this might be? I have a day booked off work to have it finished next week, but I’d hate to take the day off, for them to tell me it’s an infection or something that needs treatment with anti biopics before they can finish the root canal? I have limited days off available for this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Just from having this done myself I was told by dentist that you should not leave a large gap between the stages.
    I was booked into stage 2 a week later.
    I was sick that week and had to postpone until the next week and I got an infection in it. The pain was awful.
    I was told that if you leave a gap between treatment you are at risk of infection.
    Go straight back. The pain of full infection is just horrendous.

To thine own self be true

Just from having this done myself I was told by dentist that you should not leave a large gap between the stages.
    I was booked into stage 2 a week later.
    I was sick that week and had to postpone until the next week and I got an infection in it. The pain was awful.
    I was told that if you leave a gap between treatment you are at risk of infection.
    Go straight back. The pain of full infection is just horrendous.

As a result of infection, it meant I needed a third day to finish it off.
    The second day was taken up with clearing out the infection.
    Book a half day this week and go.
    Trust me you don't want the pain of infection over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As a result of infection, it meant I needed a third day to finish it off.
    The second day was taken up with clearing out the infection.
    Book a half day this week and go.
    Trust me you don't want the pain of infection over the weekend.

He had put in a temporary filling, and checked it a couple of weeks ago and the filling was still fine. I’ll ring tomorrow and ask to speak to him. Gah! I could really do without this, I thought the finish line was in sight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Dianthus

Anything can happen in 2-3months. It may be reinfected , &/ there may be a crack in the tooth. Best bet is to book in for a quick 10-15min appointment to check the current state of play, before your longer appointment next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks. This is probably the wisest thing to do!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    He had put in a temporary filling, and checked it a couple of weeks ago and the filling was still fine. I’ll ring tomorrow and ask to speak to him. Gah! I could really do without this, I thought the finish line was in sight!

Yes I had a temporary filling in too and it still got infected.
    Trust me. Don't let that pain build up.

Advertisement