Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch pedal was stuck up

• 27-02-2019 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

So I have been having problems with clutch. Not slipping but a grinding noise. Hard to hold/ balance on a hill etc. Even in idle there was a slight whine.
    Brought it to Mechanic.( Think he mentioned bearings going/gone?) He booked it in for next week. Advised not to drive as could fail.

So low and behold, OH decided to bring the kids to Smyths and it fails. It is stuck up. Like rock hard could not push down. I go over, get it pushed to side of road and organises tow. Waited about an hour. Cold, so had engine running.

The thing is when the tow arrived he tried to get it into gear and I reckon he forces the pedal down. I'm outside the car, looks like engine won't start.

Get's it up and tows to garage.
    Mechanic rings me and say car won't start did you leave a light on etc. I go down to find clutch pedal completely loose. Like pushing fresh air loose etc Never been this loose. Explain to him what happened during tow. He was locking up. Will only look tomorrow.

To cut a long store short.
    Battery is fine
    Clutch pedal stuck up. Engine starts no problem.
    Tow guy forces clutch down and engine won't start.

Just wondering if forcing it made matters worse and if so how?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

So I have been having problems with clutch. Not slipping but a grinding noise. Hard to hold/ balance on a hill etc. Even in idle there was a slight whine.
    Brought it to Mechanic.( Think he mentioned bearings going/gone?) He booked it in for next week. Advised not to drive as could fail.

So low and behold, OH decided to bring the kids to Smyths and it fails. It is stuck up. Like rock hard could not push down. I go over, get it pushed to side of road and organises tow. Waited about an hour. Cold, so had engine running.

The thing is when the tow arrived he tried to get it into gear and I reckon he forces the pedal down. I'm outside the car, looks like engine won't start.

Mechanic rings me and say car won't start did you leave a light on etc. I go down to find clutch pedal completely loose. Like pushing fresh air loose etc Never been this loose. Explain to him what happened during tow. He was locking up. Will only look tomorrow.

Battery is fine

Thanks
    Long time since I worked on cars but sounds like bearing went and then fell apart.

It would stop engine starting if bits are stuck and bedded in with the clutch pressure plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Battery is fine

Thanks

Does your car require the clutch to be depressed to start normally?(it’s possible that switch is now not being made... but that’s only a symptom of your failed clutch)

You mention”balancing car on hill”.. this sounds like you ride the clutch which literally destroys it.

The whine was probably clutch release bearing.

What car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Does your car require the clutch to be depressed to start normally?(it’s possible that switch is now not being made... but that’s only a symptom of your failed clutch)

You mention”balancing car on hill”.. this sounds like you ride the clutch which literally destroys it.

The whine was probably clutch release bearing.

What car is it?

It's a Kia Ceed 2007.
    Yeh I know what you mean in terms of riding the clutch on hills etc. OH does it a fair bit. Me just at round abouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It's a Kia Ceed 2007.
    Yeh I know what you mean in terms of riding the clutch on hills etc. OH does it a fair bit. Me just at round abouts

Doubt they have that switch if it’s that age. (Could be wrong I don’t really know the car)
    Anyway sounds like release bearing is gone, you’ll be looking at a complete clutch replacement in reality I’d say.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Doubt they have that switch if it’s that age. (Could be wrong I don’t really know the car)
    Anyway sounds like release bearing is gone, you’ll be looking at a complete clutch replacement in reality I’d say.
    Marty.

Clutch/bearing and pressure plate.

Unless the plate can be scheemed but doubtful if ridding the clutch.

• Advertisement

Just to follow up.
    Clutch was replaced. Bearings disintegrated. He showed me the ware on the clutch.
    Forcing the pedal down broke the clutch slave cylinder which stopped the engine working/starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Send a copy of the bill to the Tow man and request him to pay as he had damaged your car. If he refuses tell him you will claim it off his insurance. If he wont agree to that tell him to expect a call from the Gardai.

Send a copy of the bill to the Tow man and request him to pay as he had damaged your car. If he refuses tell him you will claim it off his insurance. If he wont agree to that tell him to expect a call from the Gardai.

Yeh thought about it. But not to bothered. But it would end up his word against mine. Would have to prove it to. He probably cost me between €50 to €100

Advertisement