Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remove spare tyre for Opel Vectra

• 27-02-2019 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Trying to remove the spare tyre from the boot but the wing nut won't budge. Any idea how to loosen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

siblers wrote: »
    Hi

Trying to remove the spare tyre from the boot but the wing nut won't budge. Any idea how to loosen it?
    The plastic nut yoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This is metal, not sure if the photo is any use

Weird mine is plastic but looks identical to that. Have you tried penetrating oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Wheel looks to be in bits... Are you planning on using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hard to know what to use to get hold of that "wing nut" its really large. Maybe try one of those strap tools you can use to take the lids of jam jars or an oil filter wrench.

Think I'd leave it soaking in oil WD40 or ideally something better overnight. A few drops (only a few don't splash it) of old style dot 3 or 4 brake fluid isn't a bad penetrating oil, careful it damages paint badly.

I'd even try doing it up a tiny bit and then undoing it a tiny bit and keep doing that moving it a bit further each time (if it moves at all) until you get it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

A filter wrench should shift it.....go To a scrap yard and get one in servicable condition, leave that hunk of junk in the scrapyard while you’re there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I think someone has been carrying a few gallons of water around with them in the wheel well.

my3cents wrote: »
    I think someone has been carrying a few gallons of water around with them in the wheel well.
    That reminds me I noticed cm or two of water when I happened to need my own spare last week, presumably there's a drain plug or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has probably rusted shut. Try penetrating spray, if you don't have that use WD40 or some other lubricant.
    Add much elbow grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hit the threaded bar in the centre a few gentle-ish taps of a hammer. That'll break down the rust on the threads a lot more effectively than waiting for fluid to penetrate.

It does look like the twisty bit is plastic though with just the threaded bar in the middle being metal. I'd be half inclined while I had the hammer out to just bash the plastic to bits until it's no longer in your way. It's not like the spare will fly away without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Stilton/belt of a hammer and drift. Plastic is stuck to the wheel is my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Plumbers grips or stilson should grab it and open it

Advertisement