Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsecured load broke my windshield

• 27-02-2019 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I was driving today and I was driving behind a construction lorry when suddenly some of its load flew off back and broke my windshield.

I was shocked and actually did not notice the crack until about 3 kms later as I knew from the noise of impact there had to be damage and I first thought it was maybe the bonnet until I saw the crack in the lower corner far out of my typical range of vision, hard to scan and watch the road at the same time.

Anyway I followed the truck and confronted the driver in a peaceful way who only called up his boss who was initially trying to fob it off, luckily for me I have a dashcam and captured it on video. I also photographed the lorry and the flatbed was totally contaminated with sand and small stones as it was transporting construction equipment. One of these flew off and hit my windshield. I would say from the force of impact it would be fatal for a human to sustain such an impact if the car was a convertible or for a pedestrian walking along the road where it happened. It would be the same as a bullet hitting a child if they were in harms way when this occurred.

The boss of the haulage company asked me to send him the footage and pictures which I have done and said if we are wrong we will compensate you.

Now my car needs a new Windshield which could cost me several hundred euro and while I have Fully Comp and Windscreen Cover I do not want to register as a claim and have that against my record. Last year was my first year in my own name after over a decade as a named driver in an older car and I am trying to build up my no claims discount as my Insurance is almost €800 per year without a black mark like this on my record.

I have never been in an accident before or had a broken glass before either in 13 years of driving. I bought this car last year and it is very new 161 and like new. I also think I should get an OEM Windscreen (Is there such a thing?) because as far as I'm concerned it should be left it the same state it was prior to getting cracked.

Any advice on how to proceed here incase this company tries to screw me over?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you have the reg of the vehicle check the CVRT status of it on https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder .This way you will have something to argue with the owner with if they start acting the mick, tell them you are going to the Gardai with the footage and notifying them that CVRT is invalid.

On a car that age try to get as close to the original windscreen as possible particularly if it has wiper sensors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A piece of building material flew off a builder's lorry and cracked your windshield windscreen. You have a dashcam recording, got the driver's details and have been in contact with the owner.

Is this really worth a thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

coylemj wrote: »
    A piece of building material flew off a builder's lorry and cracked your windshield windscreen. You have a dashcam recording, got the driver's details and have been in contact with the owner.

Is this really worth a thread?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If you have the reg of the vehicle check the CVRT status of it on https://operator.cvrt.ie/Vehicle/CRWExpiryTestReminder .This way you will have something to argue with the owner with if they start acting the mick, tell them you are going to the Gardai with the footage and notifying them that CVRT is invalid.

On a car that age try to get as close to the original windscreen as possible particularly if it has wiper sensors.

The truck had all its paper work in order as I snapped that on my phone which was hard as its up a good 7 foot high. The car has wiper sensors and also automatic lights all controlled from a camera inside behind the rear view mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

FFS, the haulage company have asked you to send the dashcam and they will pay you if it shows they are at fault. What are you looking for here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

FFS, the haulage company have asked you to send the dashcam and they will pay you if it shows they are at fault. What are you looking for here?

Nothing wrong posting about their incident and maybe hearing from people who've experienced similar and possibly to get advice.

It's not exactly 'FFS' worthy and what exactly is your post going to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Are you usually this over reactive in every day life, they've said they'll pay if they seem to be at fault, you claim it was like a bullet and likely fatal if it hit a pedestrian, this is hyperbole and no need of it, the noise was amplified by the stone hitting glass and probably sounded worse than it was. maybe wait to start a thread if the company tell you to go **** yourself but for now I'd sit tight and see what happens, you might be pleasantly surprised by the response you get from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

theguzman wrote: »
    I was driving today and I was driving behind a construction lorry when suddenly some of its load flew off back and broke my windshield.

Any damage to your fender, or trunk, or hood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Let them know they have 3 days to sort you out or you will be reporting the accident to their insurance company, I presume you got the insurance details of the truck.
    Brother was in similar situation without dashcam j. footage amd the company send him cash in 2 days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Does a windscreen claim affect your ncb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Often not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seems like an open and shut case. You've proof and the boss said if they are at fault they will pay for the damage.
    Think some are overreacting to the post but to the poster in question id keep the recording on the computer in case it goes arse ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Generally one free windscreen replacement before it starts to impact NCB (IIRC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

No problem so, the overreacting OP isn't going to be out of pocket either way. It may even be less stressful for them to get it fixed himself.

Advertisement