Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate ATM transactions

Options
  • 28-02-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,
    I’m not a BOI customer but I used one of your atms and you’ve taken the transaction amount twice. Can I have my money back? What will be the lead time on its return?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Likewise here, duplicate ATM withdrawals done on my AIB card. Same question as above, when am I getting my money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there guys,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Would you mind telling me which ATM it was and I will raise it with our ATM team.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KerryS

Same issue, spoke to AIB (my own bank) this morning and was advised I was "one of thousands affected" - this is a bank of Ireland issue with atm batches duplicated for 26th Feb. 

No estimated time frame for this to be resolved as of yet, no consolation to me, today is payday and well over half wages were debited from my account in error because I used a BOI atm to withdraw money on the 26th. Absolutely ridiculous that an error like this can be made, have worked in card services in the past and there are supposed to be cross checks in place to ensure mistakes like this don't happen.Terrible service from BOI and their rep comes on here and says they'll look into it - their ATM team is well aware of the issue because it was their gross incompetance that caused it!!! At least have the decency to stand up and admit it so it can be dealt with!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Same for me using ATM in Costcutter in Windy Arbour. Just had all of my account drained because Bank of Ireland took the money twice. Today was pay day for a lot of people myself included, how convenient for bank of Ireland.

I have bills that need to be paid today and tomorrow.

Need to know if Bank of Ireland will be solving this soon. Can't believe something like this could happen with an established bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

It happened in the ATM in Costelloe Service Station in Galway. Frankly this annoys me no end, as this money was taken from an account that is AIB, not BOI. Like many above today is payday and my account has been double dipped due to what can only be described as gross incompetence. What is the time line for the return of my money to my account?

• Advertisement

All batches from BOI atms on 26th Feb were duplicated so payments were  requested from paying banks twice - aib told me this morning that this is countrywide and that there was no time frame as of yet for it to be resolved, BOI are the only ones that can sort this as error is on their side - monumental cock up but of course there's no one willing.to step up and take the rap - last day of the month so for many pay day and also bill day. Funny how credits are never duplicated!! Girl in AIB said she expected it to make the news because of the scale of it and the number of people affected but can't say I've heard anything.

KerryS wrote: »
    All batches from BOI atms on 26th Feb were duplicated so payments were  requested from paying banks twice - aib told me this morning that this is countrywide and that there was no time frame as of yet for it to be resolved, BOI are the only ones that can sort this as error is on their side - monumental cock up but of course there's no one willing.to step up and take the rap - last day of the month so for many pay day and also bill day. Funny how credits are never duplicated!! Girl in AIB said she expected it to make the news because of the scale of it and the number of people affected but can't say I've heard anything.

I wonder if it has effected BOI's own customers. I spoke to BOI on the phone and their customer care weren't even aware of the issue. Not that they would have been able to do anything for me as I'm an AIB customer. But the fact their have been no statement or updates regarding this.

Anyone missing direct debit payments,cor can't pay any bills have a simple case against Bank of Ireland.

Thor wrote: »

I wonder if it has effected BOI's own customers. I spoke to BOI on the phone and their customer care weren't even aware of the issue. Not that they would have been able to do anything for me as I'm an AIB customer. But the fact their have been no statement or updates regarding this.

Anyone missing direct debit payments,cor can't pay any bills have a simple case against Bank of Ireland.
    From what I was told this morning by AIB and my own understanding of how batching works any customers who used BOI atms on the 26th Feb will be affected and this will include BOI customers where it applies. Funny though how everyone on this thread seem to be AIB customers so might hold my judgement back..........

From what I was told this morning by AIB and my own understanding of how batching works any customers who used BOI atms on the 26th Feb will be affected and this will include BOI customers where it applies. Funny though how everyone on this thread seem to be AIB customers so might hold my judgement back..........

I would.imagine they would be effected as well, but at least they could technically just put the money back right away. Us AIB customers aren't going to be so lucky.

Hi All,

We're looking into this now and will update this thread once we have more information.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Pauliester

Hi there guys,

Would you mind telling me which ATM it was and I will raise it with our ATM team.

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Lorna

Hi,
    It was from the ATM at the Hamilton building in Trinity College.
    Looks like you guys have a problem.

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience.

The issue that caused the error has been resolved. We are working to rectify the duplication for those impacted so that their account balances are corrected as soon as possible. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-of-bank-customers-charged-on-the-double-for-cash-withdrawal-due-to-glitch-37865990.html

Bank customers have been hit by a new technology glitch.

Thousands of consumers who withdrew money from Bank of Ireland ATMs have been ended up having double the amount they took out debited from their accounts.

The issue affects customers of other banks who have used Bank of Ireland ATM machines in the past few days. Bank of Ireland customers were not impacted.
    A spokesperson for the bank said: “A number of non-Bank of Ireland customers who made a cash withdrawal at Bank of Ireland ATMs experienced a duplicate debit on their account.

“The issue that caused the error has been resolved.”

The bank said it was working to rectify the duplication for those impacted so that their account balances are corrected as soon as possible.

“We would like to apologise for the inconvenience,” the bank said.

There have been a string of systems breakdowns impacting customers in the last while.

This time last year Bank of Ireland customers were concerned when money went missing from their bank accounts. The bank insisted the issue was a result of a “technical processing issue” and not a cyberattack.

The lender rushed to correct the fault which caused panic and distress to a number of customers and disrupted payments.

A number of agitated Bank of Ireland customers claimed money paid into their accounts had disappeared.

Funds have now been returned to my account, thanks for that - interesting to note BOI customers were unaffected,  also that other banks seemed to know what was going on long before BOI did. Thanks again and hope everyone else gets sorted.

Advertisement