Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pain in the liathróidí

• 28-02-2019 10:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

Samsung Xcover 3 on android 6.1

changed my email pasword on monday and did a factory reset , still can't log in to verify it , says please wait 24 hrs etc , but i have and still no joy

now im an ios user and was thinking of changing to android , but this lark is making me stay with ios

any help ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Your email password has nothing to do with your phone... where is your email hosted? Are you resetting your Gmail password?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

advertsfox wrote: »
    Your email password has nothing to do with your phone... where is your email hosted? Are you resetting your Gmail password?

i have to verify by logging into the phone with the email address used in the play store

i use gmail

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    i have to verify by logging into the phone with the email address used in the play store

i use gmail
    Ok so that means it's to do with your Gmail / Google password - best thing to do is reset it on a PC / laptop and once it's completed (and your actually logged in meaning your access is working), then login with the new password on your phone.

https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

i use gmail

There's got to be some crossed wires here. You've done two things as far as I can tell.

1. You changed your gmail password.

2. Separate to this you did a factory reset of your phone.

Can you login to your gmail account through http://gmail.com?

I presume when you factory reset your android device then asks you for your email address and password to setup. I don't see where the verification business comes in.

Don't go running from Android yet, I think the problem is confusion rather than a real issue.

should have clarified better

got a phone off a friend to test , so i signed up to playstore with gmail account

then decided i may aswell reset phone , so i could install all relevant updates ( as the phone was lying about a year or 2 )

so reset it , then when it went through the reset , it asked me to verify the phone by logging in with email used on playstore

but wouldnt let me verify it , so i logged into google on my pc and changed the password , and have no trouble accessing this email on my laptop / pc

but when i waited the 24hrs it asked me to do , i then tried to verify again and says the same thing , wait 24 hrs etc

this is going on since mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

It's looking for the email login for the original owner.
    I presume that's a security aspect.

biebiebie wrote: »
    It's looking for the email login for the original owner.
    I presume that's a security aspect.

he never used one

Do a full factory reset of the phone completely, then on boot up you will be prompted to sign in to a Google account - use your own one here.

Do a full factory reset of the phone completely, then on boot up you will be prompted to sign in to a Google account - use your own one here.

that's where it says after password change wait 24 hrs etc

still same since mon

Can you view the entered password to confirm it's entered correctly? Eg to rule out faulty screen.

Can you skip the sign-in and do it later after phone boots?

• Advertisement

biebiebie wrote: »
    Can you view the entered password to confirm it's entered correctly? Eg to rule out faulty screen.

Can you skip the sign-in and do it later after phone boots?

ive clicked " show password " and it's correct

won't let me past the verify screen sadly

ive clicked " show password " and it's correct

won't let me past the verify screen sadly
    You shouldn't have to verify anything if you successfully reset your password.

Can you login to your Gmail account on a PC / laptop without any issue?

Can you show us a picture of what you are seeing on screen please?

You shouldn't have to verify anything if you successfully reset your password.

Can you login to your Gmail account on a PC / laptop without any issue?

Can you show us a picture of what you are seeing on screen please?

apparently it is a verify feature on android

pic to follow

pic

pic
    Never in all my years of Android have I seen that message. Can you even sign in on a PC / laptop? Does it give you the same error?

Google says here its 72 hours if the device runs Lollipop - https://www.androidcentral.com/what-do-if-youre-locked-out-your-phone-after-resetting-it

Never in all my years of Android have I seen that message. Can you even sign in on a PC / laptop? Does it give you the same error?

Google says here its 72 hours if the device runs Lollipop - https://www.androidcentral.com/what-do-if-youre-locked-out-your-phone-after-resetting-it

i'm using 6.1

think lollypop is 5 ?

so don't try verify for another 72 hrs then ?

bloody appalling i must say

can log into my google on a web browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It called FRP (Factory Reset Protection).
    he never used one

Unless he used the phone as a dumb phone. He did.
    Or someone else who owned it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

beauf wrote: »
    It called FRP (Factory Reset Protection).

Unless he used the phone as a dumb phone. He did.
    Or someone else who owned it did.

Yes exactly. It's an anti theft measure so if your phone is stolen the thief can't just factory reset it.
    Unless the person who previously owned it never installed any apps then they would have had to have used an email address and password for the playstore.
    Easiest fix would probably be to get them to log in using their details then unlink their account from the phone and then factory reset it.

aido79 wrote: »
    Yes exactly. It's an anti theft measure so if your phone is stolen the thief can't just factory reset it.
    Unless the person who previously owned it never installed any apps then they would have had to have used an email address and password for the playstore.
    Easiest fix would probably be to get them to log in using their details then unlink their account from the phone and then factory reset it.

its an old work phone and the person who used it is long left the company

so its only good for the bin so

• Advertisement

its an old work phone and the person who used it is long left the company

so its only good for the bin so

There are some youtube videos on how to fix this issue that may help if you comfortable with playing around with it.
    Would you describe yourself as more of a technophobe or a technophile?

aido79 wrote: »
    There are some youtube videos on how to fix this issue that may help if you comfortable with playing around with it.
    Would you describe yourself as more of a technophobe or a technophile?

im very IT proficient

but its such an old yoke , i'm not sure it's even worth the time tbh

was thinking of buying a Huawei P30 Pro when they come out , but thinking i might just stick to ios

this carry on is aload of bollix tbh , i get it's security , but i have all details to verify it etc

iOS has a similar feature which is why you have to be careful buying second hand phones.

It's just how things are done.

he never used one

Well it sounds to me like an email was indeed used previously. Despite was is thought currently. It could be that they have just plain forgotten and think otherwise.

You'll need to ask the original owner to rack their brains and try to remember if they could have set one up, and see if they can login using that. Even if they try using one of their current emails. They might then get lucky.

Sorry but I think that's your best bet here.

And if they left work and uncontactable the that's too bad unfortunately.

I recommend you try some of the YouTube videos to see if any of them work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Glad to see Android security is so robust.

you were all right :D, it was registered to previous employee , so its been binned

IT gave me another one to use , so i removed the email from the new one and reset and its working :)

just want to use it for a few days to see how i like it before i purchase a highend flagship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

you were all right :D, it was registered to previous employee , so its been binned

IT gave me another one to use , so i removed the email from the new one and reset and its working :)

just want to use it for a few days to see how i like it before i purchase a highend flagship

Ah great. Just keep in mind that the difference in performance between a few years old device running androind 6 and a top end Android will be huge. So slowness and other performance related issues would be best ignored. And there's been a lot of good visual and operation improvements to Android since 6, although 6 is still a nice OS.

im very IT proficient

If you had have said you weren't I would have said stick with Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

im very IT proficient

but its such an old yoke , i'm not sure it's even worth the time tbh

was thinking of buying a Huawei P30 Pro when they come out , but thinking i might just stick to ios

this carry on is aload of bollix tbh , i get it's security , but i have all details to verify it etc

N offence, but if you claim to be IT proficient and are sticking to IOS because of protection built into Android to stop your phone being used when stolen then id look up the definition proficient.

The phone is locked to the original user. So this isnt a bug , a design flaw or any other fault in Android.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    N offence, but if you claim to be IT proficient and are sticking to IOS because of protection built into Android to stop your phone being used when stolen then id look up the definition proficient.

The phone is locked to the original user. So this isnt a bug , a design flaw or any other fault in Android.

i was given the phone , inserted my sim and away i went

decided to reset ( not knowing about the email security verification ) upon the reset

i don't work in IT , i've fitted harddrives , ram , fitted ipad screens and phone screens , set up computer networks , what level would i be at einstein ?? :cool:

proficient i meant fairly ok with IT

anyway

Do you not have to match ID with Apple hardware with the device when you repair it.

Isn't that what so many used iPhones don't have a working Touch sensor because Apple have locked out anyone else from replacing them.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1WPZA_enIE720IE720&ei=xTp5XLDRFeHCxgPMzbLgDw&q=Apple+Touch+ID+Blocked+Repairs&oq=Apple+Touch+ID+Blocked+Repairs&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30l3.9667.11433..11554...0.0..0.98.483.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.FSwpFvPMCoE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

You can get into recovery mode and do a factory reset from there, I think.

... did a factory reset... still no joy...

From the first post.

Do you not have to match ID with Apple hardware with the device when you repair it.

Isn't that what so many used iPhones don't have a working Touch sensor because Apple have locked out anyone else from replacing them.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1WPZA_enIE720IE720&ei=xTp5XLDRFeHCxgPMzbLgDw&q=Apple+Touch+ID+Blocked+Repairs&oq=Apple+Touch+ID+Blocked+Repairs&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30l3.9667.11433..11554...0.0..0.98.483.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.FSwpFvPMCoE

no

i repaired a few screens

kids breaking them , buy cheap screen , take off back , unplug batt , pretty simple

So the entire web is wrong then about the touch sensor.

• Advertisement

So the entire web is wrong then about the touch sensor.

just speaking about my expierence

the ipads i fixed were older ones like 5+ years so maybe the touch sensor wasnt an issue on these ones

and iphone 6 screen didnt have that issue

don't believe all you read on the web :D

Advertisement