Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Watch taking over the account as new owner of the house

Options
  • 28-02-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I know that we are not allowed to asked for help regarding the codes so I am asking for help regarding contact with PhoneWatch.

I have bought a house with Simon XT alarm fitted with GSM module. I have all the paperwork for the alarm including receipts, account number etc.

I have called PW few times already and pushed them really hard to release installation codes and they refuse to do so. I am going to refer the matter to Competition and Customer Protection Commission as what they claim is complete nonsense.

They basically gave me two options:

1. Sign up for a 3-year contract with them or
    2. Pay 200 euro for engineer to come over and give me the code.

As the policy for the forum is to contact PW for the codes can anyone advise what to do if they refuse to give out the codes when contacted. Would really appreciate any help in resolving this matter.

Karol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 karolaug

I have found an alarm repair company that would unlock the alarm for me for 90 euro. It looks like I have no other choice as PW is not cooperating.

For reference if you have all paperwork it is possible to get the code from it somehow and if you call around you will find tradesmen that know how to do it and will unlock the alarm for you. It is still not ideal solution but it's better than 200 euro ransom money paid to PW for the same service.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Try this line with PW...
    Tell them a friend, neighbour or relative got the code by signing a disclaimer. Ask why is the company policy changing from customer to customer. Also ask for the issue to be escalated to supervisor or line manager.

I did all the above. I told them about disclaimer and I asked for manager. The only response was that they will only release the code to the original contract owner (previous owner of the house) who moved back to Spain and I can't contact him.

The only solution they offered is to pay them crazy money one way or another. I will refer the matter to the Consumer Protection Commission regardless as this is outrageous practice.

As the service they provide is ridiculously expensive for what they offer I hope they will be pushed out of the market as a result.

Funny thing is that they claim that the reason for releasing the code only to the original customer is security. So they are willing to give the alarm code to the person that doesn't own the property but they won't release it to the owner as a "security measure".

I would advise anyone using their alarm to request the code just in case and change it as PW is a security risk on it's own.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

karolaug wrote: »
    I did all the above. I told them about disclaimer and I asked for manager. The only response was that they will only release the code to the original contract owner (previous owner of the house) who moved back to Spain and I can't contact him.

The only solution they offered is to pay them crazy money one way or another. I will refer the matter to the Consumer Protection Commission regardless as this is outrageous practice.

As the service they provide is ridiculously expensive for what they offer I hope they will be pushed out of the market as a result.

Funny thing is that they claim that the reason for releasing the code only to the original customer is security. So they are willing to give the alarm code to the person that doesn't own the property but they won't release it to the owner as a "security measure".

I would advise anyone using their alarm to request the code just in case and change it as PW is a security risk on it's own.

The first point is wrong on their behalf. You are the legitimate owner of the system now.
    I would recommend putting everything in writing via email and ask them to confirm all these reasons via email. Otherwise they will just deny everything.
    I'd also continue trying to escalate via email. Eventually you may get to someone reasonable.

For future reference I quote the email that I have sent to PW. I will update the thread when I get the reply.

Hi,

I have contacted you by phone in order to obtain engineer code to my alarm system Simon Xt.

I would like you to confirm the reasons why you refused to release the code to me.

You have informed me that as the original agreement was signed by the previous owner of my house you can't release the code to me for security reasons unless I sign up for 3-year contract with you. You also mentioned that you can release the code to the previous owner.

As you refuse to give me the code to the alarm system that was paid in full and is now rightfully mine as it was fitted in the house I have bought I would like you to confirm that you are willing to release the code to my alarm to person that doesn't own the house and not to me. So the previous owner of the house can have unlimited access to my alarm system and at the same time you refusing me the same access.

I am still hoping you will understand that the logic you implement is flawed and you release the code to me without further delay.

Please kindly confirm the above statements you have made during our phone call.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I look forward to the updates on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Defo worth a go anyway.
    Its a nightmare if they lock that system, havent been able to get around it engineer locked yet.

This is the email response I got from PW. As you can see the advice they give is very specific. I won't be contacting them any more unless someone here has specific questions/advice how to approach them.

Altor, what is engineer lock in this systems? I have only found the information about "Dealer Code" from US manual? Is it different somehow in EU/Irish version?

I have tried resetting the alarm by removing the battery and powering it on with all four buttons pressed but it doesn't work. All sensors are still programmed and everything works exactly the same. I have someone coming over on Monday to unlock it and I will report back.
    Dear Karol,

Thank you for your email.

In regards to the conversation you had with our agents we cannot give out the alarm code to you as the account is not in your name.

The previous account holder would have to contact us to retrieve the code.

However, what you can do is have a local electrician power down the system and then power it back up.

This will allow you to change the code.

If you have any further queries call us on 1850 753 753.

Megan
    Customer Support Representative

Also I all installation manuals I could find are for US version. There are at least minor differences between the US version and EU/Irish version that I could spot already. Is there installation/service manual for Irish version anywhere available to download?

Thanks

This is the email response I got from PW. As you can see the advice they give is very specific. I won't be contacting them any more unless someone here has specific questions/advice how to approach them.

Altor, what is engineer lock in this systems? I have only found the information about "Dealer Code" from US manual? Is it different somehow in EU/Irish version?

I have tried resetting the alarm by removing the battery and powering it on with all four buttons pressed but it doesn't work. All sensors are still programmed and everything works exactly the same. I have someone coming over on Monday to unlock it and I will report back.

I would pass that onto the PSA. They are advising you to use a local electrician and not a PSA licenced installer. Effectively here they are telling you to break the law.

In my opinion the account holder is irrelevant in all this. You are the owner of the system.
    Ask them what is required to get the account changed into your name. You should also be entitled to have this done without signing up to anything.

• Advertisement

Also this procedure wouldn't work. Disconnecting the alarm from electricity won't recover the code magically. Also they don't mention that the proper reset procedure will render alarm useless until all sensors are re-learned.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    In my opinion the account holder is irrelevant in all this. You are the owner of the system.
    Ask them what is required to get the account changed into your name. You should also be entitled to have this done without signing up to anything.

That is my opinion as well. They have told me that the only way to move the account to me is to sign up with them for a 3-year contract. I also suspect that after signing up the installer would strongly suggest to "upgrade" the system to the one that can be only operated by them. The operation procedure they follow looks exactly like scam calls in my opinion.

I contacted them by twitter and they are now claiming that they are working on the problem. There shouldn't be any problem in the first place but we will see.

https://twitter.com/karolaug/status/1101143807695953926

Update: After my twitter post they have contacted me and now it is possible to re-assign the account to my name. I had to send them proof-of-address (electricity bill), scan of my drivers license and I have also attached Folio of the house showing that I am the owner now.

So it looks that the only way to get past the predatory sales tactic is to go public. I will also pass on their e-mail advice onto the PSA.

Will update with results but I have to wait for the waiver now.

No logical discussion whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

More a consumers affairs topic rather than a home security one.

Advertisement