Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Spending Money

Options
  • 28-02-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all. I realise my question is similar to how long is a piece of string but if people could give an idea of how much spending money they took when visiting the big apply.

I am travelling with my mother and sisters to New York for a four night break over Easter. Flights and accommodation are already paid.

This break will be a tourist attraction break with little to no shopping.

I went to New York in 2010 but the exchange rates were excellent at the time and so money went much further and we took in a second city that time.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭kalych

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Hi all. I realise my question is similar to how long is a piece of string but if people could give an idea of how much spending money they took when visiting the big apply...

Thanks in advance.

I was averaging between $150-$180 a day last August, although if travelling with the family I would imagine that could be reduced by about 10%-20%.
    This would include doing 2 paid touristy bits a day, like the top of the Rock, etc.

Breakdown:
    $15 Breakfast
    $20 Lunch
    $30 Dinner
    $40 sightseeing
    $15 transport
    $20 bottled water (admitted it was summer)
    $20 pints
    approx. $5 per day for mobile data
    $10 per day on souvenirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Don't forget about resort fees that some hotels charge. A costly thing to forget about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Exchange rate is pretty much at the point where in your head you can think 1:1 unless your buying something expensive. If you had couple of hundred a day you’d be fine but really your depending on the rest of your group to not be looking for fancy dinners and cocktails each night. Tourist attractions can be pricy so maybe check out what your planning on doing beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

$60 taxi from Airport to Manhattan, and teh same returning to airport (presuming it's JFK)

unless you are taking the trains/subway.

If your planning on doing touristy stuff then the new york pass is great value (well it was a few years ago).
    We did loads of stuff we probably wouldn't have ,like the top of the rock and the empire state.
    They are $40 each per person,river cruise (my favorite! )$50 and 2/3 museums would be another $80.
    Atm the 3 day pass is $200 so worth looking into.

https://www.newyorkpass.com/new-york-attractions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Any ideas for buying clothes and runners? I hear there are 2 different large shopping malls about 1hr from Manhattan. 2 pairs of Adidas runners for $50 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

One big tip is that a lot of the big museums like the Met have big headline prices of around $25 but if you look closely it's actually a suggested donation and if you queue up and pay at the desk you can literally pay what you want, even a dollar. I paid $5 each for a couple of big museums while I was there as I was on a budget. The online tickets will charge you the full whack and same with the automatic ticket machines in the foyer so the only way you can pay what you want is at the ticket desks. It'll look busy with a big queue but it moves fast.

DarraghR wrote: »
    Any ideas for buying clothes and runners?

If you want bargains on clothes, TJ Maxx & Marshalls, they're both the same nowadays anyway, so find a decent one and you'll be sorted. Just go to the rails of your size and you should see great random bargains.

For out of town deals on runners and the like, you'd probably be looking for 'The Outlets'. though I'm not familiar with any of the various outlets around NYC (if there are even any within reasonable distance)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Any ideas for buying clothes and runners? I hear there are 2 different large shopping malls about 1hr from Manhattan. 2 pairs of Adidas runners for $50 apparently.
    Jersey gardens. Take the bus from port authority. Oh and bring your suitcase with you! You won’t be the only one doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If you have to watch the pennies, NY is the last place to go!

But anyway it can be expensive, the tips are mad, the sales taxes are hidden, transport costs are ok on the subway though.

Just budget for what you think you can afford and add the same onto that. For enjoyment purposes.

Hope you have a great time NY is amazing.

• Advertisement

It’s definitely worth getting a 7 day subway pass, it’s about 60-70 dollars, but very worth it if you plan on going to see a lot of sights etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

$60 taxi from Airport to Manhattan, and teh same returning to airport (presuming it's JFK)

unless you are taking the trains/subway.

Uber / Lyft will have you from JFK to Manhattan for under $45, with no tip necessary.

Avoid yellow cabs in NYC altogether.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Uber / Lyft will have you from JFK to Manhattan for under $45, with no tip necessary.

Avoid yellow cabs in NYC altogether.

Uber cost me $57 back in October

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

Thank you for all the comments and advice. I was planning to take approx. €1500 - €2000 as its all tourist stuff mostly and a show hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Budget for about 400-500 bucks a day. Thats if you want to include touristy stuff.
    If you go crazy shopping, expect it to be higher

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

It’s definitely worth getting a 7 day subway pass, it’s about 60-70 dollars, but very worth it if you plan on going to see a lot of sights etc...

Correction , 7 day pass for a person is USD33.
    But yes, definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Budget for about 400-500 bucks a day. Thats if you want to include touristy stuff.

That's a bit high johnno.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That’s NY off my bucket list.
    Too expensive by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

Mr.S wrote: »
    What on earth are you doing for $500 a day?

--

Make sure to get Revolut before you go, you'll save a fortune in fees. Take out some cash for tips and then use card for everything else.

Is there not some controversy today over Revolut cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

:eek: Janey Mack! :eek:

Excluding accommodation, but including a night at the opera and a metro pass, I spent $76.25 over three days last October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Fully agree with this. City tour buses and taxis are stuck in traffic and waste a lot of your time. The subway goes nearly everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

That is rather excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

You'd need to budget $150 to $200 a day excluding accomodation, depends how much of a foodie you are really. If are happy to slum it for a week with McDonalds and Subway etc then you'll save a lot compared to proper lunches and dinners etc.

Fly to the nearest airport to your accommodation, public transport between the airports and Manhattan is atrocious and the NYC Subway is not suitcase friendly.

One week in New York could give a luxurious month in somewhere like Thailand or the Phillippines. It depends on a persons tastes etc. its worth seeing but places like Dubai, Singapore and Rio de Janeiro are all far superior to NY, don't bother with NY outside of summer as it would freeze the testicles off a brass monkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

I was over there and did all the touristy things and spent absolute feck all and did a night in Atlantic city as well which is worth going to in my opinion.

Depends really on the lifestyle you want to live while your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Can anyone tell me the best place to exchange currency in Dublin. My bank (Permanment TSB) and the Post Office are pretty much the same rates :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Why exchange in Ireland? Just use your bank cards on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Can anyone tell me the best place to exchange currency in Dublin. My bank (Permanment TSB) and the Post Office are pretty much the same rates :/

Not much difference between any of those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A Revolut Card would probably give you the best FX Rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

$ 200 a day is more than enough excluding spending on clothes etc - buy a bus tour that will carry you to all main attractions i done top view it was 50 dollars for 3 days had 3 diffeent tours and took you everywhere also got a free liberity cruise and a 2 hr bike ride. Centry 21 down next to 9-11 memorial is great for shopping its like a tk maxx but with huge brands got tommy hilfiger t shirts for 9 dollars there. Loads of Michael kors calvin klein etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 binana

Just a tip about seeing something on Broadway -- if you rock up on the night before a show, they'll sell you leftover tickets off cheap. You might not get to sit with your group and some views might be obscured (I was right up the front so had to crane a bit) but it's something to consider if it seems expensive.

Advertisement