Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Spending Money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thread moved to where it would be better suited. Thanks, kerry4sam
    Thanks kerry4sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

If you want to take in a show but dont mind which one then you can get tickets on the day for a fraction of the price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I was there last Sept
    I had also travelled there in 2011 and the increases in prices were crazy
    We spent a fortune on food. We werent going fancy places either. The tax isnt included and you pretty much HAVE to tip like 20% so a cheap meal can get expensive really quickly.
    When are you travelling?
    I didnt use everything on my Citypass and im fairly certain its still in date. I will check when Im home but if it is you are welcome to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Who says you have to tip? You do know that tipping in the US is a massive scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

:eek: Janey Mack! :eek:

Excluding accommodation, but including a night at the opera and a metro pass, I spent $76.25 over three days last October.

What?? Did you bring your own Taytos and hide under the bed??

There is no need to spend the GDP of a small country if you don't want to.

Correct. But equally you need to have a holiday. $25 a day does not a holiday make IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

:eek: Janey Mack! :eek:

Excluding accommodation, but including a night at the opera and a metro pass, I spent $76.25 over three days last October.

I like how you've included the 25cents! $400-500 a day is excessive but it's still more realistic than $76 over three days. One tour I've booked for a few hours is costing more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Back now about 3 weeks. If your smart it's not as expensive as everyone says. Easily get by on €100 - €150 a day with site seeing.

Clothes in Jersey cost nothing. Picked up nike runners for $25 and the same for Levis jeans.

Watch lots of YouTube videos and use Google Earth to pin point everywhere you want to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I was over last year and we spent about 250-300 a day ( couple) over 4 days that was with no shopping. I really hate having to watch the pennies on holidays and it wouldn’t be my idea of a holiday having to strictly watch what we send.
    It has gotten a fair bit more expensive and we found the food expensive.
    We used dial 7 for transfers to and from JFK $100 return and we used subway for getting around.
    The show we wanted to see was very expensive but worth it the tickets were $170 dollars each .
    Absolutely a single person could get by on $100 -$150 dollars a day if you budget for it .

I like how you've included the 25cents! $400-500 a day is excessive but it's still more realistic than $76 over three days. One tour I've booked for a few hours is costing more than that.

I think the tips alone in the first NYC pub I was in amounted to $20.

Tipping is a massive scam and I stand by that.

Waiters must receive the Minimum wage even they may get zero tips. Their wage must be made up to the mandated minimum by their employer if their tips do not bring them to the minimum wage.

The minimum wage in New York is $10.40. Whilst tipped staff may be on less, their wages including any tips must exceed the min or else the employer must make up the difference.

How do people feel about giving the correct minimum tip when every part of the service was terrible that involved the waiter/waitress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am thinking I'll put €1500 on my revolut card and then I'll have my bank card for back up. I already bought the city explorer pass for 5 activities so wont have to worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

DarraghR wrote: »
    How do people feel about giving the correct minimum tip when every part of the service was terrible that involved the waiter/waitress?

I give 10% for terrible service. It galls me to do it but you have to accept their tipping culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am going in May for a week with the GF, and pride myself in my frugality, within reason :D Don't have to worry about accommodation, as I am staying with my brother whilst over there, so that gives me a bit more leeway, and will have a 3-activities pass already purchased by the time I arrive. Also got tickets to a Broadway show as a birthday present so that's one less cost, and will the subway pass sorted as well.

Probably one day shopping, one day seeing the "free" sights (Central Park, Times Square) on our arrival day, and potentially a Saturday/Sunday started off in a bar watching live sport from back home (depending on the schedule).

I have seen €1500 mentioned as spending money, but I aim to part with half of that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I blew through just under €3k in five days the last time I went :o That figure didn't include accommodation, broadway tickets, or NBA tickets which we booked before we arrived.

I did bring an extra spare suitcase, because I knew in advance I'd be buying a lot. Most of that money went on shopping. My ex spend about €1500 iirc but he didn't like shopping as much as I do :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

500 dollars a day at least

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

towger wrote:
    Correction , 7 day pass for a person is USD33. But yes, definitely worth it.

Absolutely agree. Best thing you'll spend money on imo. If you're going to use subways or buses more than 12 times you'll effectively make on it.

• Advertisement

No recession here it would appear.

I always tip for good service, and I'll always let the person know if it isn't. I was in New York last month, went into a bar for breakfast (four of us). I had to remind him to bring forks, milk, the toast was late, as was the refill of coffee. I had to remind him for butter.

I asked for the bill, but told him about all of the above....and I asked him to reflect on it. Anyway, he failed to reflect on it and handed me a complete bill....something like $99.70 for the four of us....he got $100.....maybe he'll reflect on it next time. As I said, I will ALWAYS tip good service.

As regards spends, we spent $3,500 in a five night stay.....that's probably average for every trip. To be fair, I like my tech stuff so a good chunk would be spent on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

If you don't tip. Or if you only give them one penny. Don't return to restaurant again, or you might have a mystery meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

grimm2005 wrote: »
    One big tip is that a lot of the big museums like the Met have big headline prices of around $25 but if you look closely it's actually a suggested donation and if you queue up and pay at the desk you can literally pay what you want, even a dollar. I paid $5 each for a couple of big museums while I was there as I was on a budget. The online tickets will charge you the full whack and same with the automatic ticket machines in the foyer so the only way you can pay what you want is at the ticket desks. It'll look busy with a big queue but it moves fast.

This used to be a great insider trick, but it's not true anymore for the Met specifically. Now in order to pay as you wish you need to prove you're a New York State resident - people who can't do that must pay $25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

No recession here it would appear.

Lets stop feeding the troll people!! :eek:

If you do not want to go to Jersey Gardens you could opt for Century 21 down near the WTC.

Great bargains there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am thinking I'll put €1500 on my revolut card and then I'll have my bank card for back up. I already bought the city explorer pass for 5 activities so wont have to worry about that.

Why the bank card for backup? All you need is a data signal to load money on the Revolut card. Personally I wouldn’t load so much in one swoop. Maybe start with 500 and have a quick check each evening to see if a top up is needed, it takes 10 seconds. If Revoluts systems act up, then you have your bank card for backup

dee_mc wrote: »
    I give 10% for terrible service. It galls me to do it but you have to accept their tipping culture.

We did the same and the waitress said "Are you actually giving 10%!?"

Instead of giving the 10% we should have asked for a reprint of the bill and tipped less :D

Lets stop feeding the troll people!! :eek:
    I am no troll. I think some of the spending here is nothing short of scandalous.

• Advertisement

I am no troll. I think some of the spending here is nothing short of scandalous.

Then feel free not to take part and leave to people who want to spend what they like. Its not your money!!!

Advertisement