Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else given up their lash extensions?

Options
  • 28-02-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

So I've taken off my lashes for the first time in 7years! I feel naked without them but the maintenance was such a pain so i've decided to go without.

I haven't even seen my own lashes in years but surprise surprise, they're still ****e.

I've ordered Revitalash to try to grow my own a bit. Has anyone had any success with this? Its expensive but still works out less than the extensions, and obviously it gives me some time back because I don't have to fit in appointments anymore.

Can anyone recommend a mascara that might help ease the pain as I get used to a lash free life? I haven't bought a mascara in years so am very out of the loop as to whats good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I'm in the same boat as you. Had them on for 4.5 years. I've been using the wild mint lash serum the past month but can't see any difference yet :( I'm going to get the LVL lashes in two weeks and see how they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Oh i hadnt heard of that one. I believ the revitalash will take a few months to show any effects so perhaps its worth sticking wtih it?

I feel like at the moment my lashes are so short that I'm not sure what a lash lift would even do for me!

While I loved having the lashes on at times, I was getting weary of the maintenance and was also feeling like a bit of a high maintenance eejit getting them done.

Just got a text to say that my nail tech is moving away also so I'm considering stopping shellac too.... I'll save myself a fortune and be so low maintenance!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh i hadnt heard of that one. I believ the revitalash will take a few months to show any effects so perhaps its worth sticking wtih it?

I feel like at the moment my lashes are so short that I'm not sure what a lash lift would even do for me!

While I loved having the lashes on at times, I was getting weary of the maintenance and was also feeling like a bit of a high maintenance eejit getting them done.

Just got a text to say that my nail tech is moving away also so I'm considering stopping shellac too.... I'll save myself a fortune and be so low maintenance!

Yeh i was the same. Got sick of having to go the appointments. Would also love to find a decent mascara so ill keep ah eye on this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I've only had false eyelashes applied once and they were just ones that were meant to last a week or something. Had to take them off the next day because I couldn't stand how heavy they felt and I didn't really like the way it looked on me either. I've heard the lash extensions arent as uncomfortable. I wouldn't get it done myself but I've seen some lovely ones on people and some that just dont look right.

Anyway even just having the ones I had on for one day and taking them off, I felt like i looked like I had no eyelashes left but the next day I felt i looked back to normal. It's just the contrast from having false eyelashes to your natural ones and since you had them in for a few years, it's probably a bit of a shock but you won't even notice it after a while.

Sometimes I put some Vaseline on mine before bed. Apparently it's meant to condition them and make them stronger so maybe try something simple like that first rather than going down the road of spending loads more money.

I still use Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I can't really fault it. It not expensive and I like the wand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

L'Oreal discontinued my favourite mascara ever, the bastards, but you can still get it in the States, just in case you happen to be over there or have friends visiting; it's False Lash Flutter. Amazing stuff, I couldn't tell you how much I used to get asked if I was wearing false lashes with it.

My current replacement is Catrice Glam & Doll. It's good, but I still mourn for my FLF :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Personally always thought the fake lashes looked ridiculous, obvious and fake.
    I have crappy lashes myself, therye blond, thin, straight and short but with the right mascara I can have them thick, black and so long they touch my brow brown.
    Find a good thick mascara that adds volume, something like Catrice glamdoll, on top of it add a thin lengthening mascara, something like roller lash by benefit or Rimmel extra super lash - this gives length but also combs the lashes separating them and gets rid of any clumps from the thicker mascara making them more fluttery and natural looking.

So I'm now about 2 weeks sans lashes and I have to say I miss them.

I'm going to try stay off them for a few months, but at the moment, I suspect I'll get them again.

I got my hands on Revitalash at the weekend but obviously it will be weeks before i see any improvement. I've taken pics of my lashed before starting to see objectively if I start to see any growth. Also theres the (likely?) outcome that it will do nothing for me.

I never had very heavy or overly long extensions. Mine were day time appropriate and just made it look like I had fuller lashes than I really do. I've noticed since removing them that mine are extremely straight and seem very uniform in length.

I know i could get a yumi lash lift or similar, but thats again another beauticians appointment, and the whole point was to try to cut down on the amount of time/money spent at the beauticians.

I also tried the Catrice glam doll mascara and can confirm that its a great budget buy! I also bought Essence Princess mascara and its also great for roughly the same price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

So I'm now about 2 weeks sans lashes and I have to say I miss them.

I'm going to try stay off them for a few months, but at the moment, I suspect I'll get them again.

I got my hands on Revitalash at the weekend but obviously it will be weeks before i see any improvement. I've taken pics of my lashed before starting to see objectively if I start to see any growth. Also theres the (likely?) outcome that it will do nothing for me.

I never had very heavy or overly long extensions. Mine were day time appropriate and just made it look like I had fuller lashes than I really do. I've noticed since removing them that mine are extremely straight and seem very uniform in length.

I know i could get a yumi lash lift or similar, but thats again another beauticians appointment, and the whole point was to try to cut down on the amount of time/money spent at the beauticians.

I also tried the Catrice glam doll mascara and can confirm that its a great budget buy! I also bought Essence Princess mascara and its also great for roughly the same price point.

Have you tried an eyelash curler? they work really well

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

I was the same and got Rapidlash . It’s amazing I could start to see difference after a month on month 2 now and lashes looking great . Also use Vaseline too before going to bed . Finding a great mascara is Maybeline drama falsies it’s purple and black . Really makes a difference . I’m getting that lash lift done soon now too can still continue to use rapid lash with it or mascara etc .

kittycati wrote: »
    I was the same and got Rapidlash . It’s amazing I could start to see difference after a month on month 2 now and lashes looking great . Also use Vaseline too before going to bed . Finding a great mascara is Maybeline drama falsies it’s purple and black . Really makes a difference . I’m getting that lash lift done soon now too can still continue to use rapid lash with it or mascara etc .

Thanks, I've actually bought Revitalash which I've been using for about 10 days now and I think I've noticed a bit of a difference already.

My one complaint is that it while I feel like my lashes are a bit longer/fuller but I fear it might be making them a bit unwieldy?

I've been trying to take before and after pictures but its hard as the changes are subtle enough for now. I'm going to stick with Revitalash while I have the bottle but not sure I'll repurchase.

I had thought that by not having lash appointments that it would simplify my life, but I'm definitely spending longer on my make up and the cost of the lash serum isnt much off the cost of my refill appointments. I'm leaning towards getting them back on, but will give myself a break for a month or two since I have them off for now, and I may as well give the revitalash time to work fully.

If by the end of my bottle of revitalash (i only bought the 6 week supply) I'd definitely consider the serum you've mentioned - I see its available in boots which is handy. Revitalash is hard to get and also ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement

Another thing I used for the first few weeks was the magnetic lashes . No glue . Must admit at first tricky to get on but so handy . Can wear with or without mascara etc underneath . They just slide off . And I tested them really bad weather they stay put.

https://www.plushbeauty.ie/product/my-lashes-by-ciara-magnetic-lashes-classy-cara/

I got these but boots do them too and have full lash too . I think first while is adjusting to like big difference from having them to going back to nothing!

I got these but boots do them too and have full lash too . I think first while is adjusting to like big difference from having them to going back to nothing!

Yeah you're absolutely right, its quite the adjustment! Thats why I've not already made an appointment to get them back on, I know I have to give it a chance.

Its been quite enlightening and I'm not sorry to have tried it, but at the moment I think I'll get them back on. I think I underestimated two things.

- the cost of everything else - I think I'd thought I'd be saving a fortune, but when you factor in lash serum, mascara and fake lashes if I want to wear them for events, I'll be spending the same if not more. The lash tech I went to only charged me €30 (her very loyal customer rate) for infills about once a month - shes brilliant.

- the extent they allowed me to wear super minimal make up. I'm definitely wearing more in terms of eyeliner (hardly bothered when I had lashes on) and spending more time on shadow trying to give my eyes some definition. I literally used to put on a bit of base, fill in my brows (they're also naturally sparce and lighter than the hair on my head) and a dab of blush and I'd be out the door.

I did however work out that I've been getting lashes non stop for over 7 years so this is a serious addiction for me to break!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Yeah you're absolutely right, its quite the adjustment! Thats why I've not already made an appointment to get them back on, I know I have to give it a chance.

Its been quite enlightening and I'm not sorry to have tried it, but at the moment I think I'll get them back on. I think I underestimated two things.

- the cost of everything else - I think I'd thought I'd be saving a fortune, but when you factor in lash serum, mascara and fake lashes if I want to wear them for events, I'll be spending the same if not more. The lash tech I went to only charged me €30 (her very loyal customer rate) for infills about once a month - shes brilliant.

- the extent they allowed me to wear super minimal make up. I'm definitely wearing more in terms of eyeliner (hardly bothered when I had lashes on) and spending more time on shadow trying to give my eyes some definition. I literally used to put on a bit of base, fill in my brows (they're also naturally sparce and lighter than the hair on my head) and a dab of blush and I'd be out the door.

I did however work out that I've been getting lashes non stop for over 7 years so this is a serious addiction for me to break!

Can I ask what lashes you get? I'm looking to get them on. I do love the look. Thank you

Yeah , fair play . I developed allergic reaction to them after long time of getting them on . Apparently things you are not allergic to you can develop one !! So really big for me then no choice but to go back to basics !! So things I mentioned , to me right now are a god send !

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Can I ask what lashes you get? I'm looking to get them on. I do love the look. Thank you

PM Sent

Yeah , fair play . I developed allergic reaction to them after long time of getting them on . Apparently things you are not allergic to you can develop one !! So really big for me then no choice but to go back to basics !! So things I mentioned , to me right now are a god send !

Oh you're dead right in that case, same thing happened to a friend of mine but she ignored the first minor reaction and got them again and it was so much worse, she ended up at the hospital because her eyes were so swollen. Doctor said that once you've any reaction, you run the risk that each subsequent reaction would be worse.

Thankfully nothing in particular prompted me taking mine off, other than a sense of my own ridiculous high maintenance.

I would if I still could so don’t blame you going back to them! Hindsight though I would have used a good lash serum with them when I was getting them so less of shock in between . I’ve noticed such a difference in mine def be a staple from now on in my own maintenance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭The Real Ramona

I find Max Factor 2000 Calorie really great. I've used it for years and never found anything better if I've tried another brand along the way.

So I've caved and booked an appointment to get them back on!

I couldnt get a Saturday appointment until the end of may so ill be persisting with my revitalash and mascaras until then :D

Advertisement