Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x07 'Light and Shadows' [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

• 28-02-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That time again folks

Looks like a bit of Spock and the Matrix Sentinels

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm more and more convinced it'll turn out to be Burnham as the Red Angel but that's more based on the next episode preview.

I'm not delighted in them shoe-horning in more Cage references either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

I won't blab too much until the ****Spoilers**** tag is up.

But damn, that one was ok too, things are still improving.
    -The camera work has finally calmed the hell down...I had no nip-picks there this time.
    -The intro was a Personal Log instead of a disjointed Grey's Anatomy style monologue. It came across a lot better this time and was cleverly used as a recap of the previous events (Kind of like when the LCARS computer voice told us about "Last time on Star Trek: [Insert Show Here]" )
    -I actually kind of liked the Cage reference. I've always found it kind of odd that Spock could bank on bringing Pike back to Talos IV in the Menagerie. Maybe we get more background to that? I just hope they don't mess with the design of the Talosians (if they appear)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

In my opinion - a terrible episode - SPOILERS

Iv stood up for discovery on many occasions but i have to admit i had no time for this one

Pike and Ash

I think that Pike was written very poorly this week. All this nonsense that he was on some sort of 'quest for glory' was ludicrous. Ash made some sense but the whole bashing the prob part was ridiculous. Pike is supposed to be one of the greatest captains in history, has a medal for bravery named after him .. and this week he seemed to be on a death wish

The probe from the future

Im jumping between not caring about this plot, and worrying that it will be something ridiculous - Red Angel is Burnham, or Spock.. or Veger - or the borg - Yea i just cant care atm. The probe came back upgraded and evil.. ok.. great

Arium and the 3 red lights

Literally the only thing i enjoyed was this segment, and it lasted about 2 minutes

Sarek

Sarek seems to have hit his head badly on something since we last saw him. Made no sense what so ever to hand spock over to S31. If they need the information in his MIND... has anyone ever heard of a MIND MELD????????

Tilly

Rapidly becoming Neelix in my book

Section 31

Ok this is now bonkers in my mind. and really calls into question the whole, 'is this prime trek'.. 'parallel universe' etc. These guys are well known to EVERYONE. Including a federation shuttle craft. So in the space of 100 years we go from everyone knowing them, to no one ever having heard of them.. at all.. and they have their own fleet but apparently dont know how to use it. 3 ships with FTL sensors capable of detecting things light years away, searching for a shuttle craft, and they are flying in formation, and making zero progress

:confused::confused:

and NEXT WEEK! We do something outrageous that will undoubtedly be damaging to those of us who care about serious canon. I dont mind klingons, holo communicators, or the bridge being 'different'.. But they are off to Talos IV now.. great

N2aJm2VU5YqPFS853v3L_wHaEi.jpg

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

liamtech wrote: »
    In my opinion - a terrible episode - SPOILERS

Iv stood up for discovery on many occasions but i have to admit i had no time for this one

Pike and Ash

I think that Pike was written very poorly this week. All this nonsense that he was on some sort of 'quest for glory' was ludicrous. Ash made some sense but the whole bashing the prob part was ridiculous. Pike is supposed to be one of the greatest captains in history, has a medal for bravery named after him .. and this week he seemed to be on a death wish

The probe from the future

Im jumping between not caring about this plot, and worrying that it will be something ridiculous - Red Angel is Burnham, or Spock.. or Veger - or the borg - Yea i just cant care atm. The probe came back upgraded and evil.. ok.. great

Those parts did disappoint me a good bit. Some of the time travel effects were kind of interesting in the build up and I was imagining something a little more to come out of the sudden "Time Hole" that appeared in the middle of the plot....for reasons....

Thing is, I really don't care all that much if Ash and Pike get along or not. If that was that point of this part of the plot, I don't think it was worth it. I was a lot more intetested to see if anything I recognised would pop up from the Time Thing. Instead we get a Matrix Sentinel from 300 years after TNG. Alright then....I was hoping for more there, but alright.

The Section 31 stuff was just silly too. How could they be so useless to let Michael just fly off their ship and escape while they were already on alert? Now it could be that they "let" her get away, but I'm not so sure of that.

This does feel better than previous episodes, but there's still a lot of silly to wean out I feel.

See this is a side step. But for me i am worried by the 'Hit and Miss' Nature of season 2. By now in season one i was entusiastic about the plot. Lorca was giving it socks. Klingon war in full swing. but This season has been so hit and miss, i find myself entirely unentusiastic about it

Side step but look at the season as a whole so far -
    • Episode 1 - Fair above average
    • Episode 2 - average perhaps a little better
    • Episode 3 - Decent Klingon Plot development
    • Episode 4 - the magic planetoid with magic info - meh.. below par
    • Episode 5 - contrieved nonsense to get the doctor back - very below par
    • Episode 6 - EXCELLENT
    • Episode 7 - terrible in my mind

i just think unprecidented excitement of season one has given way to Instability and predictability for season 2

Im still a fan, il keep watching of course. but i just think its in danger now - they need to make season 3 a hell of a lot better than this - or this season needs to improve out of all proportion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Really enjoyed it. Again.

Very strong season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was a very short episode

dont mean to keep posting bit its interesting there seems to be a polarized reaction to this episode online - lots love it and lots are of the opposite opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

liamtech wrote: »
    dont mean to keep posting bit its interesting there seems to be a polarized reaction to this episode online - lots love it and lots are of the opposite opinion

More polarized than the Hull of the NX class ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I liked it for the most part. Thankfully the "Search for Spock" bit is over, I felt they were really dragging that out. And I'm intrigued to see what happens with Talos IV. Looks like Discovery is set 3 years after "The Cage" so the events there have already happened. Maybe we'll find out why there was a death penalty 10 years later for visiting there. It seemed like a total overreaction to have a death penalty based on the events of "The Cage". Figured the prospect of being trapped there by the powerful mind bending aliens should have been deterrent enough.

Hopefully with the finding Spock bit out of the way, there should be a solid run for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

When someone asked in a previous thread where is Spock and I said did they check his house....i wasnt too far off :D:D

I loved the temporal stuff.

Disliked the whole section31 thing. Season would be better without it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well when I hoped the bridge crew might get more to do, didn't expect one to become a Trojan horse, which presumably Airium (so) has become. Would do no harm to clarify what she is exactly, now that she's part of the Future plot, I've always been curious about her.

A so-so episode otherwise, a bit of a dip after recent, stronger episodes. The Section 31 stuff was a bit incidental and again the writing frustrated me by throwing out a plot twist (Leland killed Burnham's parents) by telling rather than showing. And it had flashbacks too, so they could have easily worked that into the story.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I wonder if the recasting of Airiam is related to the fact they now seem to have found a use for the character, or intend to kill her off altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thought the temporal plot burner with some mixed plot development (the probe.. could it be borg, vger or .. eh the matrix?) was grand.

But then like.. Talos IV

I was like .. huh Talos IV? then the next episode preview came along and I was all Talos IV!!!!!!!!!!!

Followed by something of a cross into 2010: Odyssey Two...

CAPTAIN PIKE - EXPLORE THE ALPHA AND BETA QUADRANTS.
    ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS – EXCEPT TALOS IV.
    ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Spear wrote: »
    I wonder if the recasting of Airiam is related to the fact they now seem to have found a use for the character, or intend to kill her off altogether?

I got the impression it was more that the actor was fed up doing 4 hours of makeup for barely any lines. At least in season 2 she has kinda got some moments, even if it doesn't leave it any clearer what she is.

Where the **** are they going with this??? Talos IV...

OK they've really really got me interested for next week.
    Already seeing people saying "Talos IV, they're sh1tting on canon"... Are they really? Tell me what's canon about Talos to warrant a death penalty?

S31 is being borgified though. Too much too much, leave them in the shadows

Ariam is meant to be an augmented human apparently though the the writers seem to disagree on augmented human vs augmented alien. Don't think she could be full android as Data was supposed to be the first android in Starfleet.

I like that airiam is getting some screen time now.
    stamets was a bit like... overpowered? hey i'll just magically solve all our problems. and i really like stamets don't get me wrong.
    also i don't approve of hipster spock.

that all said i enjoyed the episode loads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the probe was sent by Brainiac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not a bad episode, not a great one. But very very short.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I found that episode very mediocre and boring. Michael just finding Spock on Vulcan was an anticlimax after all that searching for him. And I audibly groaned when Saru said "Oh Mr Stamets and the magical mycelial network can solve this plot problem". I'm getting really tired of this. Stamets is a potentially great character who they've wasted on this rubbish. Then there was Burnham's line: "you've always told me the truth, that's how I know you're lying". Stunning logic as always, Michael. Oh and I hate the Section 31 guy.

Again some of the cinematic flourishes were quite nice, specifically the scene transitions; the shuttles vapour trails turning into the engine rooms strip lighting for instance, or airiams eye turning into the dome ceiling of the section 31 bridge. Lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Was ok, not terrible, not outstanding. A temporal cold war? Mmm, where have I head of that one before...

The Talosian angle will be interesting. I feel I badly, badly need to rewatch this season in binge fashion once its finished, to better piece it together.

Inviere wrote: »
    Was ok, not terrible, not outstanding. A temporal cold war? Mmm, where have I head of that one before...

The Talosian angle will be interesting. I feel I badly, badly need to rewatch this season in binge fashion once its finished, to better piece it together.

Yeah, it's frustrating that a show, which is obviously designed with modern vuewing patterns in mind, is being hamstrung by CBS insisting on weekly episodes just to keep subscriptions to All-Access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Great episode this week, can't wait to see what happens next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Ash was really annoying in this one. Also what is the point of having one of the key characters in the last 50 years of Trek appear, if all he is going to do is babble incoherently?

On the other hand, Talos IV !!!

Looking at the preview for next week, I think they've nailed it with the Talosians design. Looks modern but still instantly recognisable unlike the **** up they did with the Klingons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Oh Christ that was goddamn awful.
    I started skipping past sections especially anything with Tilly and Stammets.
    How the hell can it go from very good from season 1 which I really enjoyed to complete crap fest for season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Blazer wrote: »
    Oh Christ that was goddamn awful.
    I started skipping past sections especially anything with Tilly and Stammets.
    How the hell can it go from very good from season 1 which I really enjoyed to complete crap fest for season 2.

It gets "worse and worse" and yet you still keep watching - boggles the mind that someone goes out of their way to spend 40-50 minutes watching something they don't abhor with a passion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

fritzelly wrote: »
    It gets "worse and worse" and yet you still keep watching - boggles the mind that someone goes out of their way to spend 40-50 minutes watching something they don't abhor with a passion

Maybe because I hope it might improve?
    Out of all the star treks this is by far the worse. I love Star Trek. I grew up with it but if it stays this bad I’ll stop watching discovery and hit up DS9

Advertisement