Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x07 'Light and Shadows' [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really enjoyed that! Pretty great!

If nothing else, the camera work was much better than it has been. Everything looked fantastic.

Enjoyed the developments on the Search for Spock storyline, and having Burnham taking care of that off the ship and on her own gave the rest of the Discovery crew a bit of breathing room. Got some good interactions and character moments while they sorted out the time rift.

And the time-rift story was cool! Played out well in the episode and I'm really interested to see where it goes with Airiam, that data-breach, and just the timey-wimey stuff in general.

And just an A and B story going on this week. I enjoyed the slightly less frantic pace to some of the scenes.

Still some rotten telling-not-showing dialogue though, particularly between Amanda and Sarek this week.

Section 31 isn't adding anything good. I wish them gone.

Airiam is the Red Angel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

Goodshape wrote: »

Still some rotten telling-not-showing dialogue though, particularly between Amanda and Sarek this week.

Agree there, that was kind of off.

Amanda: Sarek! It is now time for us to exposit about our whole relationship!

Sarek: What? Now, in the middle of this crisis?

Amanda: Yes, right now....with details....as if some who didn't even know us was watching.

Sarek: That seems illogical

Amanda: YOU'RE ILLOGICAL!

Sarek: :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blazer wrote: »

Maybe because I hope it might improve?
    Out of all the star treks this is by far the worse. I love Star Trek. I grew up with it but if it stays this bad I’ll stop watching discovery and hit up DS9

Naw. It's not perfect but it hasn't hit anywhere near the lows of Enterprise season 1, or the resting badness of Voyager that pooped out "Threshold".

What is it that had changed between seasons that you enjoyed season 1 more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Blazer wrote: »
    Oh Christ that was goddamn awful.
    I started skipping past sections especially anything with Tilly and Stammets.
    How the hell can it go from very good from season 1 which I really enjoyed to complete crap fest for season 2.

I disagree. Season 1 was terrible nothing like Star Trek at all. Try going back and watching episode 3 or 4 or season 1 after this season. I know I can' and have tried. This is so much better although this episode was not great season 2 has been really good up to this and am looking forward to next weeks episode.

Ash and section 31 need to go they add nothing to the show.

I was dissaponted that Spock was on his homeworld after all that searching. How could they not have known surely.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think because they're trying to do so much with the writing, in so little time/episodes, that one episode per week isn't the ideal format for watching. I've a feeling when this season is done, and I rewatch in binge fashion, I'll enjoy it a lot more.

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying the one episode a week format to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same, I hate binge watching. Hate binge anything TBH, but with shows I like the drip drip of tension and drama

pixelburp wrote: »
    Same, I hate binge watching. Hate binge anything TBH, but with shows I like the drip drip of tension and drama

Must just be me then :) I much prefer to watch in quick succession.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I do as well , I rewatched season 1 and enjoyed it a lot more when watching in binge format.

I do as well , I rewatched season 1 and enjoyed it a lot more when watching in binge format.

I blame DS9. That show just shines when binge watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Inviere wrote: »
    I blame DS9. That show just shines when binge watching.

You can binge watch DS9 far easier than Voyager.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

You can binge watch DS9 far easier than Voyager.

I'm currently watching through Enterprise, mid way through Season 2. For whatever reason, I'm not hating it this time (I didn't enjoy it at all last time I watched through it). Yes it has flaws, and yes it has Travis Mayweather, but I've grown to like Archer, and T'Pol. Trip and Phlox are the standouts in it. But yeah, I like to binge on Trek :)

I like both binge and weekly but it really depends on the presentation of the show.
    This is being written like a standard Netflix binge-able but forced as a weekly. It's, for me, hurting the story as (like this week) you can end up with short episodes that cry to watch the next immediately becuse they have set themselves up for immediate continuation. Even the Expanse, with it's serial story, is more laid back in presentation so can be enjoyed slower. The break-neck pace of DSC is not suitable anymore.

I am watching Fillion's "The Rookie" weekly and, even though there is a constant theme to the show, it is not something that would benefit from a binge.

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm currently watching through Enterprise, mid way through Season 2. For whatever reason, I'm not hating it this time (I didn't enjoy it at all last time I watched through it). Yes it has flaws, and yes it has Travis Mayweather, but I've grown to like Archer, and T'Pol. Trip and Phlox are the standouts in it. But yeah, I like to binge on Trek :)

Enterprise suffered from a dire S1 and Berman/Braga rehashing and their over sexualisation of characters (Decontamination scenes!!). I mean they refused to call it Star Trek at first and that theme tune.

Many Coto had that purring by the end and didn't I read that they actually fecked up in cancelling as, at the time, they were not tracking delayed viewing figures.
    Damn it but that one really pisses me off, we were so about to get Earth-Romulan war. That is what the entire show was building to, characters were starting to get a bit more relaxed too.

Also it felt like Bakula was cast on the back of Quantum Leap and then told to not act like Sam, from that show. So came across as wooden and uncomfortable, as opposed to the charm he had in QL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Me too. Have never binge watched anything. Just not for me.
    Enterprise suffered from a dire S1 and Berman/Braga rehashing and their over sexualisation of characters (Decontamination scenes!!). I mean they refused to call it Star Trek at first and that theme tune.

Many Coto had that purring by the end and didn't I read that they actually fecked up in cancelling as, at the time, they were not tracking delayed viewing figures.
    Damn it but that one really pisses me off, we were so about to get Earth-Romulan war. That is what the entire show was building to, characters were starting to get a bit more relaxed too.

Also it felt like Bakula was cast on the back of Quantum Leap and then told to not act like Sam, from that show. So came across as wooden and uncomfortable, as opposed to the charm he had in QL

If its the theme tune your on about I disagree. I preferred it in season 1 and 2 before they ruined it.
    That's right they fecked up alright. Season 5 could have been awesome.

Agree totally which was a pity but there is a few episodes in season 3 and 4 where he is less that and more the Captain he should have been for the show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

What is it that had changed between seasons that you enjoyed season 1 more?

To me the story line is far inferior to Season 1. I'm actually trying to remember if the mirror universe was s1 or s2 it seems that long ago. I know now its S2 but once they got back my god the story sucked. And as for the Spock rubbish and Amanda.
    Tilly is seriously annoying me now. Even Stammets is off-putting.
    Suru for the last few 2-3 episodes has definitely seem off and his speech seems to be more stilted as if he's having difficulty remembering his lines.
    I did like the Suru oriented episode. Hated the Tilly one.
    Oh and I hated Voyager season 1..Voyager I kinda tolerated as a loose Star Trek.
    My favourite was always TNG and DS9. Can never decide which one I preferred more. I reckon DS9 shades it for the stories and characters...fantastic setting.
    I'll give Discovery a chance for the 2nd season and see if it gets better otherwise I'll be dropping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I thought Enterprise was getting far better towards the end - was enjoying the Xindi story line. Disappointed when cancelled but it shouldn't have taken them so long to work what worked. Tough call to go back to basics but still make it relevant and futuristic

As for binge watching, there are some shows that have that 10 episode super movie and need to be binged, then other shows where they are episodic and one a week is perfect.

I just find that if I binge watch I just burn out on a show much quicker, patience unravelling by 2,3 successive hours of the same show.

That and I only have so many hours free in the evening - don't feel like wasting them on a single show :D

I just find that if I binge watch I just burn out on a show much quicker, patience unravelling by 2,3 successive hours of the same show.

That and I only have so many hours free in the evening - don't feel like wasting them on a single show :D

Breaking news - you don't need to watch them all in one weekend, I generally watch them over 5 days or so. Maybe its my failing memory but it's good to have the story fresh in mind as I watch the consecutive episodes over a few nights.

My "binge" would be an episode a night. Two under 5 year old kids means very limited screen time in evening

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Breaking news - you don't need to watch them all in one weekend, I generally watch them over 5 days or so. Maybe its my failing memory but it's good to have the story fresh in mind as I watch the consecutive episodes over a few nights.
    Breaking breaking news, unless it's a sitcom, find it hard to watch most shows consecutively in general. Just how I / we roll in Casa Del Pixelburp; Killing Eve was the closest we came to binging in watching it over the space of a short month. Usually good at keeping track, though season breaks can get me (couldn't remember where season 2 left off when starting Billions season 3 for instance)

How to get away with murder is like that for me, big winter hiatus for what is a convulted storyline

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Haven't read the last 30 posts. I was just wondering is there any reason we couldn't start spoilering those who are talking about the "next time or next episode".

Just a question, they tend to spoiler everything, so I don't watch them.anymore. Just a question.

CramCycle wrote: »
    start spoilering those who are talking about the "next time or next episode".

+1.

I don't watch those because I don't want to know. The second and third post on this thread talk about it directly anyway :-/

Obviously they're not capital-S Spoilers, but it's not what we're here to discuss.

Yeah this thread is about the specific episode mentioned, the "next time" should not even be discussed here rather in the general DSC season 2 thread. Even then with spoilers.
    Mod call really but would be all for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Got this from another ST forum but wanted to drop it in here, love the detail on the shuttle controls, Look at the red boxes

Ent
    Voy
    TNG
    DS9
    :D:D

D0rjmXaVAAA_98G.jpg:medium

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Enjoyed the episode a lot overall but as before the Spock storyline which should be the driving arc of the show is by far the weakest part. For all the hype about having Spock as a character in S2 he's not really a character at all he's just a 'macguffin' - a plot device for characters to chase. Finding him back on Vulcan was a ridiculous anti-climax.

I do wonder if the Spock reveal was more fallout from the Production woes: the producers got the heave-ho around episode 5 IIRC, so I'm theorising if Spock being on Vulcan the whole time was a hasty rewrite from the original pitch - if one existed at all. It's possible Harberts & Berg either had a different vision, or never elaborated on how that arc was to be closed of, necessitating that sudden, anticlimactic "oh, he was on Vulcan after all"

BrookieD wrote: »
    Got this from another ST forum but wanted to drop it in here, love the detail on the shuttle controls, Look at the red boxes

Ent
    Voy
    TNG
    DS9
    :D:D

I love that. Also just love the physical buttons – it's both a nice callback to TOS and it actually makes more sense a lot of the time, particularly I'd say in a shuttle like this.

Trying to find the right part of a digital, flat, smooth touchscreen to tap when your whole world is shaking around you is not good or practical.

• Advertisement

How do we define 'being watching' anyway? For me, it's 2 to 3 episodes in a row...not sure I could do a 4th.

Advertisement