Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kodiaq owners... can I pick your brains?

• 28-02-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi all

Am looking at going with the Ambition 7- seater in diesel in Automatic. Am trading in an 2011 Octavia with 200k on clock

Just wondering if there are anything I should watch out for now and maybe get included at this stage. So ... if you are a Kodiaq driver....

1. What would you do different if you had to go back??
    2. What colour did you go for?
    3. Are you happy with the 5-seater or would the 7-seater be worth the extra €1000
    4. Anything niggley that annoys you??? Wind noise, etc
    5. Is it worth getting Sat Nav added??
    6. Did you compare to another made (5008 / xtrail etc) and what swung it for you

Sorry for the questions.... just a big committment fir me on Pcp and just looking for comfort that I am doing the right thing!!!

Many thanks in advance

Sikky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s pretty universally thought that the 7 seat option is a must for strong resale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s pretty universally thought that the 7 seat option is a must for strong resale.

Yep... that's what the salesman says. It just me and wife now.... kids all grown up so I can't ever see me needing to use the back 2 seats. Unless I am doing the designated driver on a pub run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

The 7 seat I would think is a must have, even if you don’t plan on using them. Also, have a look at the standard headlights on the ambition to see if you like them. For a new car at €40k, they are fairly basic with poor enough light. I would consider the LED upgrade on these personally.

The only other ones I believe may be of use is a rear camera and the electric tailgate. I don’t think the satnav upgrade is worthwhile as you can just plug your phone in to Apple/android play with google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Masala wrote: »
    Yep... that's what the salesman says. It just me and wife now.... kids all grown up so I can't ever see me needing to use the back 2 seats. Unless I am doing the designated driver on a pub run!!

How important is resale to you?

I do find people can put too much stock in resale - buy the car/version you want with the gadgets you want. You are buying it for you, not for the next person, imo.

I would say that even after 10 years you’d still get the €1k extra for the 7 seater back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Does anyone know how does this compair to the model it replaced the excellent Yeti?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

See how the Seat Terraco "Xcellence" model stacks up against the Kodiaq with kit

https://configurator.seat.ie/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-009_DEFAULT-en-normal.view?msk=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would say that even after 10 years you’d still get the €1k extra for the 7 seater back.

So spend 1k now on extra you don't need and will never use, to get 1k or less back after 3 years. :Pac:
    I would personally spend that 1k on options I actually want and use. I always buy car for myself, not for the lad down the road, when I am done with car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'll have a review of the Tarraco Xcellence up in a few days, I drove one for a week last week. It's a Kodiaq pretty much BUT the Kodiaq has some nicer touches. The little plastic clips that pop out when you open the door of a Kodiaq to stop them hitting a wall or other car and marking your paint are clever little touches.

That said, the SEAT has some nice features too - the plastics aren't as good as the Skoda though.

The Peugeot 5008 is a good looking car IMO. It also has nice touches, different fragrances that you can control with the climate, uplights in the roof visor at night time, digital dash as standard, a fancy looking gear lever, it's all very modern.

So they're all a bit different considering they're all cars designed to do the same job.

The X-Trail is totally fit for the purpose but it's an older car and design and some of the engines aren't as modern.

If it were my money it would probably be a choice between the Kodiaq and 5008 but the Tarraco is a very close 3rd and many would probably choose it ahead of the 5008 - it just doesn't have the little touches as much that make you think oh that's clever!

So spend 1k now on extra you don't need and will never use, to get 1k or less back after 3 years. :Pac:
    I would personally spend that 1k on options I actually want and use. I always buy car for myself, not for the lad down the road, when I am done with car.

Wait a sec. you have to look at the possibility that you might want or need to change car sooner than that. Keep it for ages with the superfluous seats and get your money spent on them back. Keep it for ages as a 5 seater and it’ll sell either way because of the age and price point, those are the best case scenarios.
    I’ve seen this before with Hyundai Santa Fe’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

MarkN wrote: »
    I'll have a review of the Tarraco Xcellence up in a few days, I drove one for a week last week. It's a Kodiaq pretty much BUT the Kodiaq has some nicer touches. The little plastic clips that pop out when you open the door of a Kodiaq to stop them hitting a wall or other car and marking your paint are clever little touches.

That said, the SEAT has some nice features too - the plastics aren't as good as the Skoda though.

The Peugeot 5008 is a good looking car IMO. It also has nice touches, different fragrances that you can control with the climate, uplights in the roof visor at night time, digital dash as standard, a fancy looking gear lever, it's all very modern.

So they're all a bit different considering they're all cars designed to do the same job.

The X-Trail is totally fit for the purpose but it's an older car and design and some of the engines aren't as modern.

If it were my money it would probably be a choice between the Kodiaq and 5008 but the Tarraco is a very close 3rd and many would probably choose it ahead of the 5008 - it just doesn't have the little touches as much that make you think oh that's clever!

If your comparing Ambition Kodiaq the spec in the Terraco’ SE is much higher- digital dash, LED headlights for example are standard.

I might be the only one but I’ve a Superb and love the built in nav - the Amundsen is only 300 quid extra but integrates very well with Skoda connect and get traffic updates etc. Apple car play is harder to program without using your phone, also I might be alone here but I don’t remember/ like plugging the phone in all the time. Also built in unit has the directions showing on the dash between the rev counter and speedo.

The lighting pack is good value for 1195, you get the LED headlights but LED ambient lights along the doors and dash which are v premium

That's true, the Tarraco is priced better with a few bits like the lights included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wait a sec. you have to look at the possibility that you might want or need to change car sooner than that. Keep it for ages with the superfluous seats and get your money spent on them back. Keep it for ages as a 5 seater and it’ll sell either way because of the age and price point, those are the best case scenarios.
    I’ve seen this before with Hyundai Santa Fe’s.

It will sell anyway. I guess it's different opinions, but I would spend that 1k on higher spec over all. As I said, stuff I would use. Like LED lights, reverse cameras, sensors, maybe sound system or wireless charging. Whatever combo will fit in to 1k bracket.
    It's not like you will spend 1k on extras and it's worthless, but two extra seats making it so much more desirable. There is a buyer for all stuff. I personally would buy higher spec car over 2 extra seats car if I would be in second hand market for such car.

I still find it weird, when people buy such extras when they don't need them, and get lower spec car in the end.
    It's not my cup of tea, but as one saying goes: who ever pays, gets to choose the music.

Someone looking for a Kodiaq may well settle for one without LED lights, but someone looking for a 7 seater crossover just won’t buy it. Same with garages.
    This has been proven time and again with things like VW Tourans. They’re just not as desirable.

It’s obviously up to the OP.

Someone looking for a Kodiaq may well settle for one without LED lights, but someone looking for a 7 seater crossover just won’t buy it. Same with garages.
    This has been proven time and again with things like VW Tourans. They’re just not as desirable.

It’s obviously up to the OP.

Really if you don’t need 4WD and you don’t need 7 seats save yourself a lot of cash and get a Superb Combi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

My missus insisted on the 7 seats when getting hers despite only having 2 kids .. 18 months later I can’t count the amount of times they have come in handy.

Overall I think is a great motor for what it is .. she got the top trim level at the time .. can’t remember what it was called. Only thing that annoyed me was the lack of electric memory seats .. I had assumed these were standard with that trim level .. big mistake

As for sat nav .. I never use it .. Car Play is just handier

the LED package is over €1,000. Disappointed at that.

Also...thought that tgey would have an auto close on the boot... it a heavy yoke to pull close. That's an extra cost.

Also...thought that tgey would have an auto close on the boot... it a heavy yoke to pull close. That's an extra cost.

As above, I do think the LED lights improve the operation and look of the vehicle. The boot is not light, especially for the smaller person who might have to stretch up....it does come with a rather mechanical rubber handle inside though.

Think it’s 1200 - depends on engine emissions. If you do a lot of country driving it’s worth it. The electric boot is v slow, not sure Id pay extra for it

Casati wrote: »
    Think it’s 1200 - depends on engine emissions. If you do a lot of country driving it’s worth it. The electric boot is v slow, not sure Id pay extra for it

How fast does it need to be? Such a handy feature for when your hands are full or you’re carrying kids in your arms - the types of activities that go hand in hand with these vehicles.

• Advertisement

How fast does it need to be? Such a handy feature for when your hands are full or you’re carrying kids in your arms - the types of activities that go hand in hand with these vehicles.

Depends on how heavy it’s lashing down or how much of a hurry your in when waiting for it to open.

Just use the key as you approach the car and the same as you walk away!

Just use the key as you approach the car and the same as you walk away!

Didn’t know you could do that - probably because I find you don’t really use the key anymore when you’ve kessy

Didn’t know you could do that - probably because I find you don’t really use the key anymore when you’ve kessy

The Nissan X-Trail boot will open with keyless by just sliding your foot under the bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

galwayllm wrote: »
    Does anyone know how does this compair to the model it replaced the excellent Yeti?

Since 2007 I've had Felicia estate, Roomster, Yeti Ambition, Yeti Scout, Kodiaq Sportline (need a lot of room for kids/sports/bikes etc). The Yeti is a great car, lovely to drive and very adaptable by removing seats etc. The Kodiaq is much bigger on the interior, and a real step up in luxury. The boot is huge, even with 7seats up, and absolutely massive with all rear seats down. I love the Kessy and auto-tailgate. The Kodiaq is very smooth to drive and quiet for a diesel, but mines an automatic and I sometimes miss the immediacy of my diesel manual Yeti.

Comparison wise (having moved from a perfectly good Yeti) I'd imagine you'd be disappointed going from a functioning Yeti to a low-spec Kodiaq. The Yeti is an excellent car, and (IMO) only worth trading up if you go for a Kodiaq with all the bells and whistles.

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Since 2007 I've had Felicia estate, Roomster, Yeti Ambition, Yeti Scout, Kodiaq Sportline (need a lot of room for kids/sports/bikes etc). The Yeti is a great car, lovely to drive and very adaptable by removing seats etc. The Kodiaq is much bigger on the interior, and a real step up in luxury. The boot is huge, even with 7seats up, and absolutely massive with all rear seats down. I love the Kessy and auto-tailgate. The Kodiaq is very smooth to drive and quiet for a diesel, but mines an automatic and I sometimes miss the immediacy of my diesel manual Yeti.

Comparison wise (having moved from a perfectly good Yeti) I'd imagine you'd be disappointed going from a functioning Yeti to a low-spec Kodiaq. The Yeti is an excellent car, and (IMO) only worth trading up if you go for a Kodiaq with all the bells and whistles.

The Karoq is the Yeti replacement, and although competent loses all the character of the original. The only flaw I saw with the Yeti is that the boot is a bit short

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Hi i was just wondering how did you get on with the Tarracco after?

From a performance point of view there was a bit of lag but you have to leave that sort of stuff aside as it's not a performance car. The typical buyer wants it for space and practicality and they are the things that it does very well.

If it were my money I would have to give the Kodiaq 1st prize but this is a very good cheaper alternative once you keep the engine reasonable and stay away from lots of options. Video is below if you want a closer look. :)

The prices on the Kodiaq and equivalent level Tarraco are actually quite similar. If you take into account all the standard extras on the Tarraco, they would cost a few thousand to add to the Kodiaq though. Having driven a Kodiaq for a few months myself, I don’t think there is much between them. My wife has recently bought the Tarraco as it is kitted out far better than the Kodiaq for the same money. The only potential worry I would have is resale value down the line on a SEAT.

• Advertisement

The prices on the Kodiaq and equivalent level Tarraco are actually quite similar. If you take into account all the standard extras on the Tarraco, they would cost a few thousand to add to the Kodiaq though. Having driven a Kodiaq for a few months myself, I don’t think there is much between them. My wife has recently bought the Tarraco as it is kitted out far better than the Kodiaq for the same money. The only potential worry I would have is resale value down the line on a SEAT.

Do they only have v highly optioned launch spec cars available now? I see some on carzone with big price tags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Hi all

Am looking at going with the Ambition 7- seater in diesel in Automatic. Am trading in an 2011 Octavia with 200k on clock

Just wondering if there are anything I should watch out for now and maybe get included at this stage. So ... if you are a Kodiaq driver....

1. What would you do different if you had to go back??
    2. What colour did you go for?
    3. Are you happy with the 5-seater or would the 7-seater be worth the extra €1000
    4. Anything niggley that annoys you??? Wind noise, etc
    5. Is it worth getting Sat Nav added??
    6. Did you compare to another made (5008 / xtrail etc) and what swung it for you

Sorry for the questions.... just a big committment fir me on Pcp and just looking for comfort that I am doing the right thing!!!

Many thanks in advance

Sikky

I've got a 172 Elegance model - 150bhp - DSG gearbox.
    So far have clocked up 44000kms (half what my friend who got his 3 weeks before me has clocked up .. ) . I added the 7 seat option (only used a couple of times when family are over to visit ) , not sure I would go with it again as the boot depth is reduced . It has the full satnav system which i rarely use (Android Auto for me .. ). I sometimes regret my color choice (lava blue) as it's a dog to keep clean in winter but looks great in summer. A few cracking noises which annoy me but overall good build quality and spacious car (just back from trip over to France with 2 young kids who had loads of room in the back).

Do they only have v highly optioned launch spec cars available now? I see some on carzone with big price tags

Demos usually at this early stage of a new vehicle being in dealers.

Demos usually at this early stage of a new vehicle being in dealers.

It seems that each dealer got 2-3 launch models delivered in January. Many of these are not actually for sale at outset as a I believe SEAT insist on having demo models visible in the garage.

These launch models are the higher spec Xcellence model. They have been upgraded with 20’ wheels, DAB radio, safety pack (seatbelt pretensioners etc), panoramic roof and one or two other things. We were offered one but they wanted full retail for each extra, which I felt was a bit over the top. I offered €1,800 for the €3,500 of extras as I would not have specced them personally, but it was a non-runner....the price was getting a bit too tasty at that point!

The first batch of standard orders had a build week 9 assigned so they should be on the road here in about 3 weeks.

They sound like the SEAT Ireland specced cars so, which is the one in my video. They even have DCC!! Big money though.

From a performance point of view there was a bit of lag but you have to leave that sort of stuff aside as it's not a performance car. The typical buyer wants it for space and practicality and they are the things that it does very well.

If it were my money I would have to give the Kodiaq 1st prize but this is a very good cheaper alternative once you keep the engine reasonable and stay away from lots of options. Video is below if you want a closer look. :)

some amount of standard stuff on that car....led lights, cool brake lights, cameras, auto boot, etc...... could be a serious competition to a Kodiaq.

• Advertisement
Advertisement