Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After a new PC...

Options
  • 28-02-2019 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So my laptop looks to have packed in... I replaced the HDD with an SSD, etc... but still issues - looks to be motherboard (just dropped to a repair shop to see if they can get to the root of it). It's 8 years old so won't be spending anymore than €100 ish on any fix with that in mind I'm look for a new PC.

Seen a few on Adverts but wondering where else I might pick up a bargain desktop? Ideally €250 and new. I have an SSD ready to use so one with an HDD will do (would need to be able to put both in). Ideally 16GB (but upgradeable to 32GB). Don't game so no need for graphics. Will need Windows 10 and an i7 would be nice. Built in WiFi adaptor would be a nice to have (have a USB one). Don't need a monitor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So my laptop looks to have packed in... I replaced the HDD with an SSD, etc... but still issues - looks to be motherboard (just dropped to a repair shop to see if they can get to the root of it). It's 8 years old so won't be spending anymore than €100 ish on any fix with that in mind I'm look for a new PC.

Seen a few on Adverts but wondering where else I might pick up a bargain desktop? Ideally €250 and new. I have an SSD ready to use so one with an HDD will do (would need to be able to put both in). Ideally 16GB (but upgradeable to 32GB). Don't game so no need for graphics. Will need Windows 10 and an i7 would be nice. Built in WiFi adaptor would be a nice to have (have a USB one). Don't need a monitor.

I doubt you could even build one yourself given those requirements.
    It seems a desktop is what you want rather than a laptop again, as you mentioned no monitor required.

Hopefully I am wrong, but will be interested to see what kind of suggestions are made ..... I would probably buy one if they are available at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Found one on Adverts in a very quick search:

Few 4GB sticks of RAM and it should be basic but perfect.
    €170
    WINDOWS 10 PRO (Fully activated license)

Small form factor (SFF)

Intel i7 Quad Core (i7- 860 @t 3.20Ghz)

Hard drive: 250 gig (NOT SSD)

Intel vPro Quad Core i7 CPU

4 Gigs of RAM memory (upgradeable to 16 gigs with 4 x 4gig sticks)

Onboard graphics card (space for additional card)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

That's a 10 year old CPU and motherboard. You wanted new?
    18 months ago, I gave away a PC with slightly better specs. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

try these folks

https://kelsusit.com/

Great options and proper equipment but refurbished.

I bought a workstation and two laptops last year and got brilliant specs for great value.

They will ship to Ireland for free.

Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I thought you'd be closer to a grand with an i7 and 16/32GB ram.

I thought you'd be closer to a grand with an i7 and 16/32GB ram.

Didn't dig deeper into the Adverts.ie ones I was checking out as I was in work... seems I'll downgrade my idea :D Not looking for 16GB installed fyi.

Opted to pick up a second half cheap one from Adverts for the time being to get me through this dark time of no laptop for 10 days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You will get a machine with an i7-3770 and 8GB ram on Ebay for €200. Still a very good CPU.

The one on adverts with the i7-860 is very old but it would have been an extremely high end CPU back in 2010/2011 and is still OK today for most things though not worth €170.

Could also get something like an i5-3570/8GB ram machine for about €100-120 on Ebay.

€250 wouldn't buy you much new (it would be pretty slow at that price point with a very basic processor slower than any of the above by a wide margin), though it would get you a basic machine that's new with fully warranty obviously.

Ended up picking up one from Adverts yesterday with a few peripherals to keep me going for the year. €180 all in.

Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF
    i5-3570
    16gb ram
    120gb SSD
    Win 10 Pro

19” screen
    keyboard
    mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's very daycent for the money

Skerries wrote: »
    that's very daycent for the money

Works a charm - not sure the bank would take me seriously for a mortgage if they seen a few hundred lump sum being paid online for a new decent spec laptop! :pac::pac:

Advertisement