Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on upgrade

Options
  • 28-02-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Wondering if there is any point doing upgrades on my existing right. I have a Z170 Mobo, 16GB ram @ 2400 (2*8), i7 7700K, GTX 1070.

Was thinking about upgrading the graphics card and maybe some more ram.

Thanks

Cal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

What are you seeing issues with? At that spec, I can't see much that should be a problem other than 4K gaming at ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Yeah if the build is for gaming I don't see why you would need more RAM and at 1080 / 1440 the 1070 should be more then capable.

What issues do you find yourself having with your current spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No real issues more like money to burn, I was mainly considering a graphics card upgrade as I like to get the most from my games .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Calhoun wrote:
    No real issues more like money to burn, I was mainly considering a graphics card upgrade as I like to get the most from my games .

What games do you play, what settings and what monitor you currently using?

Depending on the above we could suggest a new GPU, but for gaming your not going to need more then 16gb of ram, that's even overkill tbh.

Pretty much any graphic intensive game, everything from kingdom come to X4.

I have a 27inch 144hz monitor. I actually have a triple monitor setup . My two side monitors are 50hz 24inch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Honestly, it just sounds like spending money for the sake of it. Adding more ram to gaming rig that already has 16gb is pointless and considering the cost of DD4 ram is right now, that money would be much better spent literally anywhere else. A new GPU will offer a noticeable upgrade on the quality of the graphics I suppose but again it's not really needed as the 1070 is still a very capable card. Maybe have a look at QQL improvements like mouse, keyboard or sound if the hole burning in your pocket gets to be to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Other upgrades if you're feeling the itch:

Sell the RAM, replace with 3000 / 3200 MHz CAS 15 or CAS 16.
    You don't need more than 16Gb (2x 8Gb) though.

Get a decent 1Tb SSD like Intel 660P or Crucial MX500 for your games.

Overclock that CPU if you haven't already. What CPU cooler does it have currently?

Replace all fans with Noctua or be quiet! Silent Wings.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Other upgrades if you're feeling the itch:

Sell the RAM, replace with 3000 / 3200 MHz CAS 15 or CAS 16.
    You don't need more than 16Gb (2x 8Gb) though.

Get a decent 1Tb SSD like Intel 660P or Crucial MX500 for your games.

Overclock that CPU if you haven't already. What CPU cooler does it have currently?

Replace all fans with Noctua or be quiet! Silent Wings.

Good idea on the ram, the one i have is actually 2133 Mhz. I currently have 4 SSD's with just under 1TB of space on them but i constantly have to delete stuff on them because they are small enough and fill up individually very fast so good suggestion.

Current cooler i have is:

Noctua NH-L9x65 - computer cooling components (Cooler, Processor, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3, Socket AM3+, Socket FM1, Socket FM2, Socket FM2+, Socket H (LGA, 92 x 14 x 92 mm, 95 x 51 x 95 mm)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Calhoun wrote: »
    Good idea on the ram, the one i have is actually 2133 Mhz. I currently have 4 SSD's with just under 1TB of space on them but i constantly have to delete stuff on them because they are small enough and fill up individually very fast so good suggestion.

Current cooler i have is:

Noctua NH-L9x65 - computer cooling components (Cooler, Processor, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3, Socket AM3+, Socket FM1, Socket FM2, Socket FM2+, Socket H (LGA, 92 x 14 x 92 mm, 95 x 51 x 95 mm)

If you've the space in your case, I'd swap that cooler for a beefy tower cooler: Noctua NH-U12S (or NH-U14S), Scythe Mugen series, Thermaltake True Spirit series, or Cryorig H5/H7 are all contenders here.
    Will allow you more thermal headroom for overclocking the CPU.
    Alternative would be a decent entry-level 240mm AIO like Corsair H100x or Deepcool CAPTAIN 240EX.

I have an NZXT H440, looks to have a decent amount of room but ill definitely check it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement