Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwired network

• 28-02-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

Want to create a hardwired ethernet (network?) in the house, sometimes wifi is slow but checking the router the hardwired signal is always great (more or less as expected).
    Would like to hardwire a few points at locations around the house when any work would be done,
    Can I create this network daisy chained or should it be radial to all points? or a mixture, radial and then daisy chained to other points in the same wallplate?

What will I need? I see mention of switches, is there any configuring required? any issue connecting up to the router/modem? Id also like to future proof it to some extent, by building in what I need for any planned security, would like to run a few IP cameras off for side entrance, possibly driveway maybe front door. I assume they also need at least a low voltage power supply? or can they receive power over a network cable? any issue with IP cameras running if going through a few devices?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You need to pick a nice "central" point and run cables from each socket back to there

Switches - If you have say 20 cables and only 4 sockets on the back of your router you'll need one of those

Some are programmable, some just do what they do

( eg. you could prioritise voice/ video traffic to avoid stuttering etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭1874

Thanks, my router is in my attic already, Im thinking of getting an attic conversion down, so I could make a space either at the top of the stairs to that or in a specific location in the converted attic. if I need to go radially, I estimate I'll need about 4 connections for potential security cameras and 6-8 downstairs and 1 for each bedroom.
    Can I just put all this through a switch and connect up my router to that? Id give it a go myself, but I just dont have much spare time, I know of a guy that does cabling for tv, sat and maybe security connections and I think he does this too (network), Im a good bit away from any work so I dont want to enquire yet as I dont know him that well or see him often, plus I want to confirm some things first.

IP Cameras & power -

Some switches ( and cameras ) can do

Power Over Ethernet ( POE )

This is handy ( and good ) - just plug your camera into a POE switch and you don't need any adapters or other messing - the switch will power it up

1874 wrote: »
    Thanks, my router is in my attic already, Im thinking of getting an attic conversion down, so I could make a space either at the top of the stairs to that or in a specific location in the converted attic. if I need to go radially, I estimate I'll need about 4 connections for potential security cameras and 6-8 downstairs and 1 for each bedroom.

1874 wrote: »

Can I just put all this through a switch and connect up my router to that? .

Yes, basically just plug them all into a switch and plug the switch into the router

Run 2 cables to each place, run 4 to where your tv is ( cable is cheap, re-running cable is a pain )

Few reasons for this - if one cable is damaged, it's no problem and if you want to add something in the future it makes it very easy

• Advertisement

IF you are chasing walls to do this, try do it in such a way that it'd be easy to pull new cable down the conduit in say 8 years time

Reason : be painless if something new comes along in a few years and needs a new type of cable

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭slystallone

Hi,

Just wondering, how did you get on with this as am thinking of doing same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zkaro

Any good shop that sells inexpensive pvc trunks?

Advertisement