Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Pension Question

• 28-02-2019 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Somehow have managed to confuse myself googling this. I'm 32 so qualify for tax relief up to 20% of my salary to pension contributions.

Currently I pay 4%, company pays 12% giving me 16% overall. If I want to maximise my contribution to the limit of the tax relief can I do an additional 16% giving me 20% company 12% or is it 20% overall and I can only put in 8%?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

Depends on the pension policy.

If the policy is a PRSA then you can only put in an additional 4%. If the policy is an occupational scheme you can put in the 16% subject to the funding levels of the scheme.

Employer contributions to a PRSA will use up your threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

12% is seriously generous. Well done for getting that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

jimmy456 wrote: »
    Depends on the pension policy.

If the policy is a PRSA then you can only put in an additional 4%. If the policy is an occupational scheme you can put in the 16% subject to the funding levels of the scheme.

Employer contributions to a PRSA will use up your threshold.

Believe it's an occupational pension looking at the definitions online, that's excellent news. Will clarify with work tomorrow thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lawred2 wrote: »

I roughly get the same as the OP along with a paid long term sick scheme and death in service benefit for my beneficiaries, I have a DC scheme how does that fare up among other DC schemes ? The older lads are on a DB scheme and call our DC the yellow pack plan:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's pretty sad that this is seen as generous.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »

What would be the norm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

McGaggs wrote: »

You won't find me disagreeing. But that is without doubt generous for employers in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

What would be the norm ?

I get a 2:1 match for my contributions up to 8% max from my employer. 1:1 seems to be the norm among friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The 20% is for your own contributions not your employers.

Presuming you're not underpaid in the market, your employer is a pensions dreamboat. Max it out, I wish I had.

Regarding employers contributions how do they fare against the likes of the UK & Euroland, Our scheme is a mandatory 5% of salary with the company putting in 10% be great if they matched the AVC though :D

• Advertisement

cefh17 wrote: »
    I get a 2:1 match for my contributions up to 8% max from my employer. 1:1 seems to be the norm among friends

I got that from my former underpaying employer. My current employer doesn't match but the salary is so good
    now my pension situation is fairly similar anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Couple of posts in and all wildly incorrect advice.

The 20% is everything. You and your employer. So if they are putting in 12, you can put in 8. End of.

myshirt wrote: »
    Couple of posts in and all wildly incorrect advice.

The 20% is everything. You and your employer. So if they are putting in 12, you can put in 8. End of.

I stand corrected

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

myshirt wrote:

No. 20% is the max. personal contribution for income tax relief. Overall maximum funding (Revenue approved) will be much much higher.

No. 20% is the max. personal contribution for income tax relief. Overall maximum funding (Revenue approved) will be much much higher.

I think myshirt has this one im afraid

'employers prsa contributions are deemed to be made by the employee for tax relief purposes'

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think myshirt has this one im afraid

'employers prsa contributions are deemed to be made by the employee for tax relief purposes'

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/pensions/tax-relief-for-pension-contributions.aspx

The OP said he thinks it's an occupational pension scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You won't find me disagreeing. But that is without doubt generous for employers in Ireland

I agree that it is generous in comparison to what you can get out there. I believe the average is 7%, with a lot of employers seeing 5% as an appropriate amount. It just pales in comparison to the DB contributions that were common in the past (and don't even mention the rate that civil service schemes are equivalent to).

I get 12% plus 4% matching which is good, but still less than would be contributed to keeping a DB scheme going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

We're matched up to 4% where I work at present.
    Previous company gave 0%

12% seems lavish to me!

At present, I give 8%, employer gives 4%. It's a PRSA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jimmy456

We're matched up to 4% where I work at present.
    Previous company gave 0%

12% seems lavish to me!

At present, I give 8%, employer gives 4%. It's a PRSA.

How about looking at it this way? Pension contributions are just another form of payment from your employer along with salary, health insurance, car and so on. From a company point of view all these just add up to a total cost for your employment.

So when you say lavish would you also consider a 12% pay rise lavish?

Also you have to consider what type of pension can be bought at that funding rate. In most cases there is certainly nothing lavish about the pension that would be bought with a 12% contribution rate. This is particularly true as most people don't think about pensions till its too late.

One of the main issues with the move from Defined Benefit to Defined Contributions schemes is that employers are off the hook for the pension at retirement. It pushes all the responsibility to the employee. Employees generally don't engage with pensions at all and as a result have a huge gap in their retirement provision. It was a lot easier for employees when DB were commonplace.

Advertisement