Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere/one interested in refurbishing/reconditioning a lovely old 98 Polo Saloon?

• 28-02-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi folks,

This is a bit of a shot in the dark (and a long one at that!) but here's my question.

Are there any places or groups etc around the like to acquire and refurbish/recondition old cars.

And I don't just mean the classics (VW Beetle/Citreon CV4/Renault 4/Mini Cooper/VW Golf GT etc etc) I mean decent older cars...from maybe more of 'less waste' philosophy than a 'classic-car' enthusiast one.

I have an old 98 Polo Saloon (and yes I know they don't have anything like the reputation of the above...though actually it's a great car!) it's been off the road for a couple of years and the paintwork has been pretty badly weather damaged and I'm sure there are other problems but she always was and (I hope) still is a great car to drive and the interior is immaculate - there has just always been a lovely luxurious feel to the car and I'd planned on making it my project to bring her back to full mobility and loveliness.

But I left the car too long off the road while I was away and unfortunately the road tax built up quite high and as I'm likely to be heading abroad again soon the motor tax office told me the best option was to transfer ownership/sell/give the car away or have it recycled.

I know it's more likely I'll have to do the latter but I'd like to see if there is any possibility to do the former.

I've been offered money repeatedly for parts etc but I'd rather give the car away to someone who would give her the love and attention she needs to get back on the road.

Like I say I know this is a very, very long-shot but I thought I'd give it one last shot before calling the removal company.

So if anyone knows of ANY groups/companies/people etc who recondition old cars and might be interested in acquiring mine I'd hugely appreciate it if you could give me any advice on how to contact them.

Thanks and best,
    C:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Given what it is I would think it is very unlikely to be accepted (even as a donation...). They are not the best looking yokes (to put it mildly...) and I don't know of any real redeeming features that would make it worthwhile. Of course if you were willing to take on the work yourself then I'd say there's a lot you could do. They are a very simple car and would be very easy to work on mechanically. But even still I reckon there would be a good amount of work needed to do it properly. All fluids would have to be changed, likely needing lots of gaskets and hoses replaced. Perhaps fuel lines and brake lines too... and quite a lot more depending on what you find when working on it.

It is a shame to let these things go... but unless you're looking for a project yourself then it's probably best to let it go to the scrap man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The fire brigade might take it for cutting up practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

try here. Irish cars of the 1990s still in everyday use

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167166233972757/

lots of 90s cars fans in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Keep it if you want to.

Transfer ownership to your cousin/granny/cat/dog. Actually not the cat/dog because they can't sign anything (presumably).

They then take ownership of the car without any back tax due.

They then immediately transfer it back to you. You now have a car with no tax due on it.

Tax it for three months, and declare it off the road before the end of the three months. Keep making such declarations on time for as long as you like.

The tax office won't offer this as a solution (obviously), but it is permissible as they haven't legislated against it.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Keep it if you want to.

Transfer ownership to your cousin/granny/cat/dog. Actually not the cat/dog because they can't sign anything (presumably).

They then immediately transfer it back to you. You now have a car with no tax due on it.

Tax it for three months, and declare it off the road before the end of the three months. Keep making such declarations on time for as long as you like.

The tax office won't offer this as a solution (obviously), but it is permissible as they haven't legislated against it.

they did suggest it, it's in the OP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

This is the best trolling OP we've had in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Stick it on Autostadt,
    I bet it would be snapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Keep it if you want to.

No need . You have 21 days from the date of Transfer to declare it SORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Isambard wrote: »
    they did suggest it, it's in the OP

No, they suggested he get rid of it to avoid the tax, not keep it and also avoid the tax.

"...motor tax office told me the best option was to transfer ownership/sell/give the car away or have it recycled."

if you transfer the ownership, as the Tax Office suggested, to your brother or next door neighbour, for instance, and then transfer it back, then you avoid the back tax and get to keep the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Try the classic car forum, you may get somebody in there that can help.

That's a good idea Lightning cheers!
    Given what it is I would think it is very unlikely to be accepted (even as a donation...). They are not the best looking yokes (to put it mildly...) and I don't know of any real redeeming features that would make it worthwhile. Of course if you were willing to take on the work yourself then I'd say there's a lot you could do. They are a very simple car and would be very easy to work on mechanically. But even still I reckon there would be a good amount of work needed to do it properly. All fluids would have to be changed, likely needing lots of gaskets and hoses replaced. Perhaps fuel lines and brake lines too... and quite a lot more depending on what you find when working on it.

It is a shame to let these things go... but unless you're looking for a project yourself then it's probably best to let it go to the scrap man.

Was really hoping I'd be able to take it on as a project but as always life gets in the way.
    try here. Irish cars of the 1990s still in everyday use

https://www.facebook.com/groups/167166233972757/

lots of 90s cars fans in there.

Ah nice one Isambard...that looks like it might have potential.
    Keep it if you want to.

if you transfer the ownership, as the Tax Office suggested, to your brother or next door neighbour, for instance, and then transfer it back, then you avoid the back tax and get to keep the car.

Cheers ?Cee?view and Isambard....I'll admit I've been thinking about this but as I'll be pottering abroad again soon (unless I win on the lotto/horses or scratch card) even if I do this the poor car will be without a driver soon enough again...
    vectra wrote: »
    Stick it on Autostadt,
    I bet it would be snapped up.

Wow...I didn't even know that existed...that could be a runner? Thanks for the tip Vectra!

Thanks a million guys for taking the time and giving me those tips it gives me something to try for...as I mentioned in my original post I know it's a pretty long shot especially as her paint work is so damaged and I've no idea how things are under the bonnet after having been parked up so long...but I've seen people resurrect cars in worse condition...and although I know people tend to do this more for the classics and a Polo Saloon doesn't stir that kind of passion in people I still want to give it a shot as the last time I drove this car it was running so well only a slight fail on emissions for NCT and it's an important car to me for other reasons...so if in the end I do have to send it to the recycling yard I know I've tried everything I could.

But I've gotta be honest I'd love to think of her driving around with someone again.

Anyway thanks again folks!

Advertisement